is quaker state and pennzoil the same

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used Quaker state before never used Pennzoil. Is it the same or is pennzoil worth the couple extra bucks? Just curious about It since its all owned by sopus. Thanks all.

Slightly different. Apparently all oils are so good that either will be good for your engine. You may find your engine prefers one over the other (but do that comparison with the exact same oil filter).

Pennzoil Yellow Bottle is a great performing and value "dino"

They are about the same as most other brand name conventional oils. If it's only couple extra bucks for a 5-qt jug and if you like Pennzoil then I'd say go for it, what makes you feel better worth the extra.

IMO....the Pennzoil line of motor oils are noted for their excellent quality and cleaning abilities and will last for a long OCI. These are PYB, PP, PU and Pennzoil High Mileage

The Quaker Motor oils are noted for their durability. These include Green bottle, High Mileage and their Ultimate Durability.

Then you have another excellent line of SOPUS oils.....the flagship brands.....Shell White Bottle conventional, Shell Full Synthetic and then.....a host of Dino diesel and synthetic Diesel oils.

All SOPUS oils are great oils and I find it very difficult to favor one line over the other.

Quaker State 0W20 and Pennzoil 0W20 are the same oil. In other viscosities, there is a difference between QS and Pennzoil, with Pennzoil being the "superior" oil.

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
Is super tech made by sopus to? Is it its own formula to?

SuperTech is made by either Warren Performance Products or Exxon Mobil. See here.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I`ve noticed Pennzoil yb and QS gb have the same exact smell and color.

They are not the same. The base oil of PYB is slightly better on paper than its green cousin.

PP smells more like "oil" than QSUD (which smells very mild and almost sweet smelling. QSUD is also a little darker. So yes I smell and look at the color too. It is probably a little deranged...lol It is nice to know I am not the only one.

Lots of similarities but not the same, the cleaning vs. durability is mostly advertising hype as the ad packs are fairly similar. I believe PYB is the slightly better oil but for normal OCI either will do you just fine.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
IMO....the Pennzoil line of motor oils are noted for their excellent quality and cleaning abilities and will last for a long OCI. These are PYB, PP, PU and Pennzoil High Mileage

The Quaker Motor oils are noted for their durability. These include Green bottle, High Mileage and their Ultimate Durability.

Then you have another excellent line of SOPUS oils.....the flagship brands.....Shell White Bottle conventional, Shell Full Synthetic and then.....a host of Dino diesel and synthetic Diesel oils.

All SOPUS oils are great oils and I find it very difficult to favor one line over the other.

Not to argue but I thought the shell conventional and synthetic were below the Pennzoil and Quaker state. Besides the diesel oils, I thought the SOPUS marketing strategy was as followed: 1-pennzoil,advertised as the "best" (cleaning,recommended by ferrari blah blah)...2- Quaker state, very durable but not quite as good as Pennzoil...3-shell conventional/synthetic..good oil but no major advertising,sold in cheapo stores like big lots/dollar stores etc...? I could be wrong on this...but I thought if you wanted the best SOPUS product it would be Pennzoil.

IMO....SOPUS is the USA part of Shell Oil Company, a multinational company, that is headquartered in the Netherlands.

IMO....Pennzoil is "mainly" a US brand. Shell is known world-wide.

Here is the definition of "Flagship" brand.....

http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/flagship-brand.html

Cheers.

P.S. BTW....Formula Shell in both synthetic and conventional, along with Shell the Shell Rotella line of Synthetic and Dino oils are anything but "Cheapo Oils" that can be found at any big lots or dollar stores.

If you have time...take a look at some of the UOAs and VOAs of all of these Shell Products. They are great Oils with great add packs.

Some like Shell Rotella T6, Full Synthetic are high priced and high quality oils that can't be found at discount stores....I wish they were there for $1 a quart....but I'm not that lucky to find them at Big Lots.

Please let us all know if you do find them there with a post to the MB...we would love to find a deal like that!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mongo161
IMO....SOPUS is the USA part of Shell Oil Company, a multinational company, that is headquartered in the Netherlands.

IMO....Pennzoil is "mainly" a US brand. Shell is known world-wide.

Here is the definition of "Flagship" brand.....

http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/flagship-brand.html

Cheers.

P.S. BTW....Formula Shell in both synthetic and conventional, along with Shell the Shell Rotella line of Synthetic and Dino oils are anything but "Cheapo Oils" that can be found at any big lots or dollar stores.

If you have time...take a look at some of the UOAs and VOAs of all of these Shell Products. They are great Oils with great add packs.

Some like Shell Rotella T6, Full Synthetic are high priced and high quality oils that can't be found at discount stores....I wish they were there for $1 a quart....but I'm not that lucky to find them at Big Lots.

Please let us all know if you do find them there with a post to the MB...we would love to find a deal like that!

i agree that all SOPUS pruducts are good. My understanding of flagship model is the top of the line. Lexus is toyotas flagship model...cadillac is GM's flagship for luxury. Shells flagship model in the US is Pennzoil. Im not against using shell oils, i use rotella in my sportbike. The white bottle shell oil that i see in family dollar does not have the same add pack as Pennzoil yellow bottle. This was discussed several times here. Dont say one is the "flagship" when in reality its not advertised as the flagship. Not saying anything is wrong with white bottle shell..but its always cheaper then the yellow bottle pennzoil. what kind of flagship is cheaper then the models below it?

Sorry....IMO you are missing the point. You are confusing, or under the impression that "Luxury" and "High Priced" items are "Flagship" products.

In the Toyota line....Lexus is a luxury, high priced line...but it is not the "Flagship" of Toyota. Toyota is best Known for high quality, durable, vehicles....from Trucks and Suvs to passenger vehicles. Lexus is just a niche and does not carry the bulk of Toyota's sales and revenue.

The Toyota brand is the "Flagship" and Lexus is a small segment of Toyota.

Just because a particular item is classified as luxury or high priced does not, in any way, classify it as the predominant sales item.

IMO....Shell sells more oil, gasoline and products, consumer and industrial, in the USA than Pennzoil or Quaker State.

When was the last time you filled up at a Pennzoil or Quaker State Gasoline Station?

Last edited:
I think your missing the point. Shell has said that the marketing in the US, Pennzoil will be the top of the line oil, followed by quaker state, and then shell branded white bottle. I dont feel like arguing about it. In all reality it does not matter what oil you use. Pennzoil, quakerstate, or shell white bottle..they are all good, so whatever. Have a good day.

you know i have been messing with the pennzoil yellow bottle and quakerstate green bottle oils in 5w30 and im finding the pennzoil seems to stand up a bit better and i have less oil consumption especially at the end of a 5000km OCI on my old beat up 94 corolla

Like all current SM/SN rated oils they are all going to perform well. Quaker State and Pennzoil are fantastic oils. Ive used both several times and I dont notice a difference. I will always buy QSAD over PYB only because of price. Why pay $14.50 when I can pay $12 for an equally performing product? Plus my favorite color is green... You cant go wrong these days by choosing based completely on the bottle color. Even if you dont have a favorite color theres Quaker States synthetic see-through bottles for ya!!!
banana2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back