Hyundai OEM cartridges: Mahle v Hyundai w Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pics are of two Hyundai OEM's both for the 3.8L engine. The one on the left is newer Mahle made oem 3C30A. The filter endcap says made in Austria, the box says made in Korea. I assume the Austria is correct as all the boxes, including the other oem, say made in Korea. It has felt-like endcaps similar to an ecore, and a similar looking centertube cage. The pleats though, are tight.

The second is of the older app Hyundai made 3C250, it says made in Korea on both filter and box. This filter is the original factory filter with ~1800mi and ~6+ months on it. The endcaps on this though are of a composite(nylon?) material, and also with a similar to the Mahle, centertube cage design. The Wix aftermaket filter looks very similar to this filter.

I purchased the Mahle at the dealer, parts guy quoted me ~$6.50 for the cartidge at the counter. When he came back with the Mahle he said, price on the new filter had gone up to $10.90. But, since he quoted me the lower older price for the cartridge that's the price used, so ok.

Here's the thing though, that I didn't realize at the time of purchase, but only with later research, the older less expensive 250 application is still sold at the dealer for the ~$4 less. Interestingly though they are now identifying the more expensive 30A Mahle at the parts counter as the app#. Also interesting, is that based on the box returned with FF oil filter, the dealer also used the less expensive 250, will know for sure when I change the oil soon.

Based on construction not sure why the Mahle is significantly more expensive than the 250. In the future, I'll be looking for the older 250 app, or the Wix equivalent which is similarly priced.

Gen38L005.jpg

Gen38L003-1.jpg
Gen38L-1.jpg

Thanks, that is very interesting. The interior nylon cage looks to have a tighter "matrix" than the Ecore designs I've seen. It also appears that the Hyundai cartridge housing does not have a steel center tube in it? If I recall correctly, the Toyota cartridge housing does have a steel center tube inside, and the element itself has no structural support.

This is neither here nor there to me, just an observation about how different manufacturers design these on-engine cartridge housings.

Do you have a preference for how one seals versus the other?

My unsolicited suggestion: once you find one you prefer, just buy 10 of them online. Cartridge filters are one of those things that are way cheaper at Rock Auto and the like. I got Mann/Mahle filters for my V70 for about 1/3rd of what I could find locally. I just ordered a bunch to amortize the shipping.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Thanks, that is very interesting. The interior nylon cage looks to have a tighter "matrix" than the Ecore designs I've seen. It also appears that the Hyundai cartridge housing does not have a steel center tube in it? If I recall correctly, the Toyota cartridge housing does have a steel center tube inside, and the element itself has no structural support....
I agree that the matrix "looks" tighter than the ecore design. Was actually going to note that but, I wanted to go back and look at an ecore first. Also, the pleats on both are uniform and tight, less chance of the blown out media seen on some ecores.

I've just seen one Toyota cartridge change on Advance Auto videos. The change process is what caught my eye, it looksinvolved. But yeah, Toyota uses a housing integral metal center tube, as opposed to the ones shown above.

Here, I just thought it curious the difference in price between the two oem's, seemingly paying more for less.

Originally Posted By: JOD
Do you have a preference for how one seals versus the other?...
I don't really have enough information to prefer one over the other. I would assume, both being OEM they would both work as spec'd. I guess after running the Mahle I'll know more. But, all things being equal I'll go with the less expensive.

Both look like decent pieces for sure. Hard to tell in the pics but I'm assuning the center of the Mahle cap is plastic with an o-ring as well?

That "matrix" is far tighter than the Wix 57082 for the EcoTec. Would be interesting to compare a Champ for this app as both cages here seem to have similar spacing.

Originally Posted By: cp3
Both look like decent pieces for sure. Hard to tell in the pics but I'm assuning the center of the Mahle cap is plastic with an o-ring as well?...
Curiously, no. As seen in the pics, the felt-like endcaps just extends in farther to the center (smaller opening) than the Hyundai labeled filter. It appears the seal is made with the felt endcap.
21.gif

Interesting. The Mahle cartridge filter for my application (also made in Austria) looks somewhat better made due to plastic endcaps, although it may not mean much in terms of performance/quality. I get them for about $6 online.

The second picture is after the filter has been in service for 10K miles.

mahle_oil_filter.jpg

Mahle_oil_filter_10K_miles.jpg

I also use Mann filter sometimes. They have cellulose end caps. Both seem to work equally well in my application.

Yep, seen other Mahle's and even commented in some of the threads reagrding the difference in construction between them and this one made for Hyundai. I also note that Mahle has no centertube cage unlike the Hyundai oem's. Perhaps, Hyundia decided to go more e-friendly with the felt endcap design.
21.gif

But whatever the case, I don't see the Mahle being worth the price premium compared to the plastic/nylon endcap OEM.

One note, though difficult to see in the pics, the Mahle is slightly longer to compensate for the raised center flanges on both ends of the standard Hyundai oem.

Originally Posted By: TJPark01
What car is this for? A Genesis Coupe 3.8?

This is for the Sedan. However, after going to the NAPA website the 3.8L Coupe uses the same cartridge filter(s).

UPDATE, since posting this thread I found a great local deal on the NAPA Gold(7250)version of the OEM C250, it appears to be identical to the oem, even also being made in SK. Pics later.

The Fram oil filter cartridge for the Hyundai V/6 is also exactly the same as the OEM Hyundai filter and it is also made in SK. Remove the writing from both and you could not tell which one is which. They are identical right down to the number of pleats.

Last edited:
The NAPA is supplied by Wix so they be the same as the Wix item.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
What car is this for? A Genesis Coupe 3.8?

This is for the Sedan. However, after going to the NAPA website the 3.8L Coupe uses the same cartridge filter(s).

UPDATE, since posting this thread I found a great local deal on the NAPA Gold(7250)version of the OEM C250, it appears to be identical to the oem, even also being made in SK. Pics later.

Originally Posted By: wag123
The Fram oil filter cartridge for the Hyundai V/6 is also exactly the same as the OEM Hyundai filter and it is also made in SK. Remove the writing from both and you could not tell which one is which. They are identical right down to the number of pleats.

You mean with the back plastic top and bottom correct?
Hyundai Part number: 26320-3C250
This doesn't surprise me. There's probably 1 manufacturer and they just stamp them with what ever brand they are sold as:
The Puralator Filter (L25848)
IMG_1329.jpg

IMG_1335.jpg

IMG_1334.jpg
[/QUOTE]

When I purchased my Hyundai 4 1/2 years ago I bought a Hyundai oil filter. When I went to Walmart to buy some oil, I looked at the Fram for the Hyundai and it looked the same, so I bought one. When I got home I compared them and they were identical.
When I went to Pep Boys to purchase some Purolator spin-on filters for my other car, I looked at the Purolator for the Hyundai. At the time it did not look identical to the Hyundai filter, but from your pictures it now looks like it also could be the same filter.

Last edited:
The older OEM, Wix, Fram and Purolator filters all look the same. The new OEM filters are 2x as much but look to be of worse quality. I am not an engineer, anecdotally the aftermarket ones feel better built, but [censored] do I know.

Aftermkt Filters and Older OEM Filter
1.Seems to have a skeletal structure made of plastic, on the top and bottom, as well as internally.
2. Pleats seem to be denser and more uniform than the OEM filter.
3. There is a green rubber gasket on the top and bottom ensuring a tight seal.

Originally Posted By: vssjim
The NAPA is supplied by Wix so they be the same as the Wix item.
True, however in this case, the Hyundai C250 aftermarkets, it seems that both are from the same outside supplier. And unlike the Wix (generally), the price of the Napa Gold can be easily obtained online.

There's probably 1 manufacturer and they just stamp them with what ever brand they are sold as..
Exactly what I'm thinking. Now, seeing the Purolator and hearing about the Fram, and having purchased the NG version, that sounds exactly like what's going on. The only difference I see is the included NG crush washer is not quite as wide, as the OEM. No biggie.

The new OEM filters are 2x as much but look to be of worse quality.
As I said, the Mahle 3C30A with felt like endcaps, which I'm using now, doesn't seem to be worth the premium price over the original C250. The OEM C250 though has not been discontinued. But, I got the NG 7250 for ~$3.25 on sale at Napa.

However, the dealers in this area have recently raised the price of the C250 to $9.50-$10. Ahhh NO. Considering the fact that the aftermarket C250 cartridges(not so w/Hyundai canisters) are identical, for half the price or less, it's a no brainer.

Rather a neat finding imo about the C250 aftermarket brands all being the same as OEM.

arte.jpg

You're right, it doesn't have the Kia or H logos on the endcap. And the Napa Gold is identical right down to the indentation designs on the center cap holding the same green gasket, same as the Puro. Only difference in any of these is the lettering on the endcaps.

I'm satisfied with this info, and personally comparing the NG to the OEM C250, they are identical in construction.

They did this on my Lexus as well. The old filters were made in Japan. The new filters are made in Thailand, are cheaper and lower quality and the old ones were discontinued except in Japan. TRD (toyota racing development) still used the old oil filters and you could buy it from distributors, at 5X the cost.

They look similar from the outside until people cut them open to reveal a big difference in quality and design:
45454d1076378634-oil-filter-question-p1010034.jpg

New Version:
denso.jpg

Old Version:
0dat.jpg

1dat.jpg

2dat.jpg

3dat.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back