Power steering fluid 08 Duramax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a 2008 2500HD W/ LMM 6.6 Duramax. Planning on flushing the trans with transynd and also doing the power steering. Redline lists ATF D4 as a suitable replacement. I realize GM has two newer spec power steering fluids. I would prefer to go synthetic as this system is under a lot of stress. Any issue going with an ATF like Redline D4 or just stick to PSF? I prefer Redline but this is my first diesel. DMax folks chime in on this please. Thanks!

If you just flush out the old & renew it I would think it would be good to go for long time.

You don't mention age/miles driven but if its in good working order keeping the spec PSF fresh will not complicate the warranty if that still applies that another fluid even if better may be a problem.

Well, since Amsoil lists it's ATF for your application, I would go ahead and use the D-4. IOW, Amsoil isn't listing any special PS fluid, just good ol' ATF.

The truck has 39K miles and is still under GM's powertrain warranty. I thought Amsoil listed their PSF for the PS on Duramax trucks?

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
I thought Amsoil listed their PSF for the PS on Duramax trucks?

Yeah, I thought so too, but this is what they have listed for the 08 2500 with the 6.7 TD...

Fluids
Power Steering Fluid......AP4
Synthetic Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATFQT)

Oh no, you are thinking this was a DODGE. It's a 2008 Chevrolet 2500HD with 6.6 DURAMAX/Allison combo. Still seems like most are running PSF of some sort. ATF shouldnt cause an issue, but its still under warranty. Any Duramax owners using synthetic PSF or just GM stuff? Thanks!

Last edited:
My thought is the premium fluids are going to be better, no argument.
If it doesn't meet the licensed GM spec they could play hard ball on straying from GM recommended spec fluid if warranty issues come into play.

Remember there is a power brake booster involved powered by the same fluid system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back