Time (not mileage) between oil changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't imagine this hasn't been discussed before - but I couldn't find anything using the search function. If anyone could direct me to some good threads, I would appreciate it.

I know the old rule of thumb is 3 months between oil changes, but with today's advanced oil chemistry - what is a realistic time period between oil changes?

The reason I ask, is that my car has become sort of a garage queen. I put maybe 3K per year on it. Last year was less than 2K. So how long can I leave oil in it without it breaking down? I'm using M1 0W-30 with an M1 filter, and traditionally change the oil every 4000 to 4500 miles, but at this rate that could mean two years between changes!

Thanks!

Heath

I think its safe to say that you follow your owners manual and/or OLM.

Typically its 12 months max(if warrantied) for an oil change(pending make/model). If you have a garage queen that's rarely driven then I think you can follow that rule. if its extreme short trip driving daily then you would of course want to change it more often.

Last edited:
Most/many new OMs specify XXXX miles not to exceed one year for 'normal' driving. I would think 'little to no' driving in the period of a year would qualify for a 12 month OCI.

M1 isn't going to break down in terms of oil stability for several years. but based on what I assume is a bunch of short trips and long wait periods between driving your main concern will be moisture buildup and overall oil acidity.

I would say change it every 12 months minimum - depending on driving conditions and environment. You probably won't do any damage by keeping it for 18 months, but 12 is your safe bet.

2 years shouldn't be a problem as long as you're not short tripping it and letting the oil fully warm up whenever you take it out for a ride.

I agree with Pete, 2-3 years with quality synthetic oil and high end filter is not a problem if most trips are 15-20 miles or longer.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
1 year is easy and safe. Don't push it past that, there is no point.

I agree with Chubbs. Storing acidic oil in your engine longer than a year will increase corrosion. My garage queen gets 3-4K per year and fresh oil just before it is stored for the salty Michigan Winters.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
1 year is easy and safe. Don't push it past that, there is no point.

+1

I rarely drive my Nissan Frontier anymore, so it's now on a one year oil change interval.

Originally Posted By: Radman
Storing acidic oil in your engine longer than a year will increase corrosion.

If it does, it surely hasn't been evidenced by elevated metals on UOAs we've seen of oil that's been in service for 2 years or so.

If the additive pack hasn't been depleted, the oil should not be acidic.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

If the additive pack hasn't been depleted, the oil should not be acidic.

agreed. acidity may increase with excess moisture and time but shouldn't be a serious problem.

as Pete said in his first reply: as long as you aren't short tripping and allow the oil to get to full operating temp [so the additive pack can do its job] you should be fine.

if you are making lots of short trips 12-18 months would be my safe max. I always put fresh oil in anything that will be stored for 3 months + (but thats more so I don't forget to change it later).

What if for a short tripper running 2 ~ 5 miles at a time daily without the oil rarely coming up to temperature ? Would you still do a 12 month OCI or drop back to something like 6 months OCI ?

Quote:
What if for a short tripper running 2 ~ 5 miles at a time daily without the oil rarely coming up to temperature ? Would you still do a 12 month OCI or drop back to something like 6 months OCI ?

Excess moisture will quickly deplete the add pack. I'd probably do a UOA at 6 months to see how things are going, and proceed based on that.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46

I agree with Pete, do a UOA at 6 months and see how your additives are sitting. If you need a comparison check out some of the UOA posted here.

Thanks so much for all of the replies! Many of my trips are of the 5 or 10 minute variety. I really just need to drive the car more often... I definitely blow the cobwebs out when I get it on the road. I try to make sure it sees redline at least once per drive, after it's warmed up of course.

Heath

^5-10 minute trips would fall under 'severe' service, not quite extreme, though.

I'd use a high-end synthetic and do 1-year oil changes with those kind of trips. Try to not turn the car off(unless idling would be more than 4 or 5 minutes at a time), by combining several short trips into one.

If you can increase the distance/time you drive(min 5 miles in summer or 10 mile trips in winter), you'd be fine to go beyond 1 year with a boutique oil, at such a low mileage. Keep the rest of the maintenance up on the vehicle and get a UOA after one year, that solves it.

Using Redline 10-30 in my 67 Mustang and running a total of 8-9000 mi.. I leave it in there for at least 3 years. No issues to date (16 years). John--Las vegas.

I was wondering about this myself. i only live 4.5 mi from work, and most days, it's just that back & forth, with maybe 2mi for lunch break, so even waiting for 3k mi, I'm still 4-6 months,
service schedule for my neon says,for the "severe" schedule 3mo, or 3kmi, which ever comes first. for the normal schedule, it's 6k mi/6 mo, and something to the effect of "never exceed 6 months between oil changes under any circumstances "
going by their schedule, i should do my next in...late jan.. and i'll have maybe 1500mi. on Maxlife 5w-20 and a Fram High Milage OCOD(HM3614)

-side note, when i put that oil in, i was in a bit of a hurry, and dumped the whole 5.1 qt jug in, while the capacity is only 4.5qt. did't realize for 17 or so days, when i pumped 1/2 qt out of dipstick tube, it was already MUCH darker (Closer to a Pepsi in color, than the lovely amber when it went in. not quite Guinness black..)suggestions?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back