What is oil spec for 2012 Passat TDI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Also, what type of emmision control systems do the new TDI's have?

Urea injection? PDF?

Thanks

Originally Posted By: Islandvic

VW 504.00/507.00

Quote:

PDF?

PDF? When did Adobe sneak into the Passat?
smile.gif

507.00 (it's in the owner's manual)

The Urea Injection (AdBlue, Diesel Exhaust Fluid, etc) supplements the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF)

DPF with NOx cat. Urea generally reserved for diesels with 6 or more cylinders (ex. MB 350bluetec, VW Toureg, BMW 335d).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
DPF with NOx cat. Urea generally reserved for diesels with 6 or more cylinders (ex. MB 350bluetec, VW Toureg, BMW 335d).

However, the Passat TDI with its 4-cylinder engine gets Urea injection.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

yep. That's why I said generally. Must be the tuning because IIRC the new Jetta uses the same I4 and my neighbor said it does not use Urea.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

yep. That's why I said generally. Must be the tuning because IIRC the new Jetta uses the same I4 and my neighbor said it does not use Urea.

Correct. The 2.0 CR in our Jetta Sportwagen has a NOx catalyst without urea. However, my understanding is that due to the extra load imposed by a larger/heavier vehicle, this same engine can require urea injection in other applications.

As for the OP, 507.00 is the standard required by VW. It is a low ash formula designed to prolong the life of the DPF. There are only a few readily available formulas here in the U.S. ...

1) Castrol SLX Professional LL03 5W-30 available at VW dealer only.
2) Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 (5W-40 doesn't meet 507.00) at Pep Boys or online.
3) LiquiMoly Top-Tec 4200 5W-30 can be ordered through NAPA or online.

There is a list published by VW/Audi of all oils that meet this spec. A quick google search will turn up what you need.

Last edited:
Just rented a 2012 Passat TDI 2.0 with the 6-speed manual in Germany - what a great car! Nice handling and ride, loads of torque, 220KM/HR top speed and roughly 40 MPG. I would buy one in a heartbeat...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back