New Chevy 6.6L LML engine -- what oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 9C1_guy
I purchased an '11 Chevy Silverado 2500HD with the 6.6L diesel engine (LML). I will be using this mostly for towing and hauling, with several trips between N. Cal and S. Cal over the coming months. So, mostly freeway driving with lots of long trips and at least one steep grade along the way (the grapevine, north of LA) The truck will not see much, if any, cold weather use. Mostly SoCal weather.

I know little about diesels as this is the first one I've ever owned. I'm busy doing my research on maintenance, etc. and thought I'd ask the folks here for their recommendations on what oil regimen to start with. I plan on keeping this truck for a long time (at least 10 years), so would like to institute good engine hygiene up front. Manufacturer recommends 5w-30.

Suggestions, recommendations? Thanks.

The Dmax engine is notoriously easy on oil. The type useage you state is well within the abilities of conventional oil.

M37Charlie is correct; only two reasons to run synthetics, and if you don't find yourself in those, synthetics are a waste.

There are some very telling UOAs from me and others in the UOA section. If that won't convince you, nothing will. Under "normal" circumstances (non-extended OCIs and temps above -20 F) today's dino oils do very well indeed.

My recommendation is to use any CJ-4 15w-40 or 10w-30 rated oil you find on sale, because it will mean much more to your wallet than it does your Dmax engine.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
Taken directly from the Duramax owners manual supplement in the glovebox of a 2011 Silverado:

Quote:
Oils designated as API CJ-4 are required for the vehicle. The CJ-4 designation can appear either alone or in combination with other American Petroleum Institute (API) designations, such as API CJ-4/SL. These letters show API levels of quality.

SAE 15W-40 is best for the vehicle. When it is very cold, below 18°C (0°F), use SAE 5W-40 to improve cold starting. These numbers on the oil container show its viscosity, or thickness. Do not use other viscosity oils such as SAE 10W-30, SAE 10W-40, or SAE 20W-50.

Seems pretty clear to me: A CJ-4 15W40 is what you should be using unless you're operating at less than 0 F.

Thats where the confusion lies. In the silverado manual it specs 5w-30 because that manual is for all the gas trucks. If you don't bother to read the diesel supplement you wouldn't know the Dmax requires either 15w-40 or 5w-40.

I'm currently running Mobil Delvac 15w-40 in my LML. I changed the oil from the factory fill at 1000 miles. I currently have 6000 miles on the Delvac and have about 40% life remaining per the OLM.

I have two more OCIs worth of the Delvac,and then may change to Rotella. I run the Rotella in my dirt bikes, its nice to have one oil for multiple vehicles.

Thanks for all the great replies, everyone. I appreciate the input. A second question on oil filters...the guys over at the duramax forum are pretty keen on Baldwin filters. Any opinions on those filters? Or other recommendations? I know Wix are quite popular here, though I don't know if that's for gas only or diesel as well.

thanks.

on my own and customers diesels I have always used Delo 15-40 and Wix oil filters with zero trouble on any of them.

Mobil 1 TDT 5w-40.....stick with manufactures recommended weight and OCI and be sure to use a high quality oil filter and you cant go wrong....fleetgaurd should make one for your new diesel.

I use Mobil Delvac 1300 Super, 15w-40. In my '11 Cummins. Also, check out Donaldson filters. I'm using the ELF series, VERY NICE filter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back