Hyundai Power Steering Fluid PSF-3

Status
Not open for further replies.
The manual for my 2006 Hyundai Elantra calls for "PSF-3 Type fluid". I have never heard of this before, likely dealer specific. Is there any other equivilent or better fluid available for this application?

You think PSF-3 is painful to find, 2007+ use PSF-4! I never got around to changing PSF on my Santa Fe, but from what I've read, owners have swapped out factory PSF-3 and 4 with various name-branded "synthetic PSF" with no negative effects what so ever.

Joel

Originally Posted By: gw105
The manual for my 2006 Hyundai Elantra calls for "PSF-3 Type fluid". I have never heard of this before, likely dealer specific. Is there any other equivilent or better fluid available for this application?

PSF-3 was originally specified as "PSF-3 or Dexron ATF".

Most dealers don't carry it - they use Hyundai ATF or another ATF.

Any quality highly friction modified ATF should work - SP-III Hyundai, Mercon V, etc.

Yep, I can confirm this as well. Straight from a veteran technician at my local Hyundai dealer: the PSF-3 cars from a few years ago could use ATF without a problem, but the newer cars with PSF-4 can only use PSF-4 (or a similarly-performing synthetic PSF).

Wow I'm glad they keep it simple and avoid confusion LOL. So I can use an ATF such as maxlife, or the new PSF-4. I wonder which would be a better choice? Plain old PSF is a no go then?

Can't wait until I swap out the manual tranny oil LOL

I did some research on this and it seems that plain old PSF is fine--and what is even used/recommended at some dealerships. I drained/swapped using Super Tech PSF from Walmart and have had no issues.

I've found with both my cars (Mitsu and Hyundai) there can be confusing specs for fluids (coolant, ATF, PS, etc.). I decided to just purchase them from the dealer's parts dept. It costs more than the stuff at AA or Autozone, but it's also stuff I only buy once every few years.

Try finding a coolant that is spec'd correctly for a Hyundai at an auto parts store. They probably would have to order it. I found it easier just to get the "Genuine Hyundai coolant" at the dealer for $20/gal., since it will last me 3 or 4 years anyway and the formulation is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back