Completely painted rotors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2024
Well the Equinox finally needs brakes. So I bought some new ACDelco rotors from Rockauto. Looks like they are completely painted. I have done a bunch of brake jobs but have never seen this. Are they fine just put on and go?

rotorcj.jpg

By ls1mike at 2011-10-20

That looks like an OE rotor. Or at least it is coated like one where they dip the whole thing in zinc solution or something similar. You must of payed a pretty penny for those. Made in Mexico but that's better than china like most all of the rest. You just put them on and go and don't have to bother cleaning an oil coating off.

My theory on rotors is ACDelco Advantage is the best low cost rotor at the best price. Raybestos Advance technology and AcDelco Durastop is the best value in a premium rotor and a toss up because I think they are the same. These are all china though. there are some other decent brands like EBC but they are probably at least partially china for domestics anyway.

Never seen that with my dealer rotors from Nissan! Guess GM is saving some $$ with these rotors. LOL

It just the way GM applies corrosion resistance to rotors by immersion. It works good to keep the rotor from rusting internally. There's nothing really cheap about it. Immersion's really the best way although they could probably use a more durable or expensive coating type.

that's normal for an AC Delco rotor.. some zinc coating to prevent rust. you don't even need to clean it off.

They are $111 a piece at the dealer and $65.99 dollars a piece plus shipping through Rockauto.
They are ACDelco,
img1384ec.jpg

I got the Durastop pads pn 36-516303 $68.79 too. I also picked up an AC/Delco powersteering pump with reservoir (68.99 without core, I will not be sending it back) for the Buick. The original owner had it serviced somewhere that had removed the powersteering fluid and put Tranny fluid in it. I have had the car 25,000 miles now. I replaced the fluid when I got it but the pump finally died. I know I will have to do the rack eventually but right now it is still good.
Total 3 day fedex shipping was 80 bucks. I still saved 80 dollars by not getting it at the dealer.
Thanks for the quick reply and info!!

Originally Posted By: BIGJ552000
Never seen that with my dealer rotors from Nissan! Guess GM is saving some $$ with these rotors. LOL

I guess yours will rot then...
frown.gif

Interesting! Both sets of AC/Delco Advantage rotors I recently purchased were only oiled. I even forgot to clean off the Malibu's! Ah well, it stops fine. Great budget rotor at $22-26 per off Amazon.com.

Originally Posted By: Virtuoso
Interesting! Both sets of AC/Delco Advantage rotors I recently purchased were only oiled. I even forgot to clean off the Malibu's! Ah well, it stops fine. Great budget rotor at $22-26 per off Amazon.com.

That is why I asked. Apparently the cheaper set of rotors they had for the Equinox were just oiled. I did some research and found a GM dealership in Cananda that had a website that explained the difference. These were dipped to prevent corrosion. These are the factory OEM rotor for the Equinox, the cheaper ones were OE, but no corrosion inhibitor and a bit thinner(according to the site). I also found a bunch of threads dicussing the same type of deal with Mazadas OE rotors.

I see you don't cheap out on parts
smile.gif
. I'm not of the school that rotors are just a hunk of iron and a place to cheap out. I think there is differences in metallurgy and balancing. most of the "premium" rotors work acceptably usually but I like to go with Raybestos AT or ACDelco Durastop rotors as a minimum on my own stuff. I don't think you did bad on price for what looks like at least near OE rotor.

Yeah for the Equinox, I would't cheap out. Now the Buick...Nah, that has all ACDelco brake parts on it too.
smile.gif

Funny thing is the Trans Am just has some Autozone Durastop Golds all the way around and even with the 1/4 mile time those things have been better than I would have expected.

Originally Posted By: Virtuoso

The Advantage are sourced from suppliers made to ACDelco specs but are similar in appearance to value-priced aftermarket rotors (unpainted and oiled machined services). I think the Advantage is a good rotor for their low price range. They are one of the few bargain rotors that state they are "milled balance". I'm not sure if some of the other bargain priced after market rotors are even properly balanced or not.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Raybestos Advance technology and AcDelco Durastop is the best value in a premium rotor and a toss up because I think they are the same. These are all china though.

"Premium" and "China" scares me though. I mentioned earlier on the forum about spending the extra money to get Raybestos Advance (or Premium - I don't remember) and one of them arrived loose in the box with no protective oiling or plastic wrap. It had instead a light coating of surface rust. It wore off right away, or course, but it worries me what else might not be up to specs.

These Delcos might be my choice next time.

I know what you mean. While I think Raybestos AT and ACDelco Durastop line is good quality, like about all aftermarket rotors they're made in china and not exactly inexpensive either (I guess "quality" chinese isn't all that cheap). GM OE line is overpriced (and I don't believe it is due to not being made in china) sometimes by a factor of 2-3x. A few years ago Raybestos were made in north America and looked better quality, and weren't any more expensive than the ones now made in china. You just can't win anymore it seems.

Put them on today, drove it about 40 miles. Coating is gone, they are silent and stop nice! Pads had plenty of life, it was the rotors that were shot. On hills and hard stops you could feel the warp. I could have had them turned, but I don't mess around with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back