Super Tech Oil From Wal Mart

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does everyone like 5w30 super tech motor oil ...My brother used that oil at his shop for years i remember going and buying everything they had at wal mart but when the price went up he started using conoco like we do at our shop and we like this oil a lot.
Does anyone know for sure who currently makes oil for wal mart???

Around here ST is $11+ for a jug.WMs cheapest oil.I guess its still made by Warren? I've been using it for years with no issues,but it sure comes out very thin and not very "slippery" at change time. I used ST synthetic for a while,it seemed like good stuff.Mobil Super seems to be a good oil,at a decent price at WM too.

It's been said that the oil is made by sopus . Basically Quaker state. I've also hear its made by warren and I've even heard valvoline so who knows......no one that I know of truly knows but either way all 3 of those are good . I've used it and it was good for me. The only reason I dont use it now is because I like knowing exactly who made the product and who to call if I ever have an issue and I'm not sure about you but I hate talking to most the people who work for walmart. And don't want to have to.

I don't know definitely, positively,with 100% certainty who makes all of the SuperTech oils.

Most of the jugs that I've seen in the past had the WNE or the WPP on the bottom of the jug as the bottler/distributor of the SuperTech oils.

But still, I don't know who makes the oils for WPP/WNE to bottle and distribute for WM as Supertec.

The only exception to the rule for bottling and distribution SuperTech oil is the "clear quarts" of SuperTech full synthetic.

From what I've read on the QSAD quart bottles, SOPUS/QS has the exclusive rights to the "Clear" quart bottles. So maybe WNE/WPP buys the empty quarts from SOPUS/QS for the WM line of synthetic in quarts?

This has been a mystery for many years.

Who knows.....It could be a convoluted blend of base oils from the bottom of tanker trucks and railway tankers.....consolidated from all major oil companies, then a specific add pack is used just for WM....on only WM?

The standard PCMO conventional is made by two different companies.

Exxon-Mobil. The bottles will be recognizable because the shape is the same as the Mobil bottles.

Warren Distribution (Warren Oil of Omaha Nebraska) not the Warren that makes Coastal. The containers will have a WPP or WNE embossed on the bottom for Warren Performance Packaging or Warren Northeast (They have a second facility their) or Warren of Nebraska. Im not 100% but my guess is it actually signifies the Northeast facility.

I suspect Mobil started supplying WalMart because Warren could not produce enough conventional PCMO. To the best of my knowledge Warren still supplies all of the other lower volume products.

Warren makes good products. Their Synthetic 5W30 was on the Corvette Approval List (pre-Dexos 1) and the HDEO 15W40 is on the Detroit Diesel / Mercedes-Benz Extended Drain List.

Warren has stated they buy their basestock for blending from several of the majors. The additive package of course comes from the usual suppliers.

Last edited:
I havent used the 5W30 but I have used the 10W30 many times andit seems to do well.I am using the 10W30 now.

ST is made by Warren Performance Products,they actually blend the products themselves with the base oils they get from other suppliers.

Here is the PDS for the 10W30 and 10W40 versions of ST from WPP,the add pack should be the same for 5W30.

10W-30

Physical Specifications
Procedure Test Min Max Typical Results
ASTM D4052 Specific Gravity at 60°F NA NA 0.8717
ASTM D287 API Gravity NA NA 30.83
ASTM D445 Viscosity at 100°C, cSt 9.3 ASTM D445 Viscosity at 40°C, cSt NA NA 67.73
ASTM D2270 Viscosity Index NA NA 138
ASTM D1500 ASTM Color NA NA 2.5
ASTM D5293 Cold Cranking Simulator, cP NA 7000 6249
ASTM D5185 Zinc, % mass NA NA 0.085
ASTM D4951 Phosphorus, % mass 0.06 0.08 0.077
ASTM D5185 Calcium, % mass NA NA 0.214
ASTM D5185 Molybdenum, % mass NA NA 0.0079
ASTM D5185 Boron, % mass NA NA 0.023
ASTM D4951 Sulfur, % mass NA 0.5 0.309
ASTM D5762 Nitrogen, % mass NA NA 0.102
ASTM D874 Sulfated Ash, % mass NA NA 0.92
TM
Conventional 10W-30 API Performance SN/GF-5
• Super Tech Conventional Motor Oil contains only the highest quality, hydro-treated lubricating oils and a technologically advanced additive system, which includes detergents, dispersants, viscosity improver, anti-wear and anti-friction agents as well as oxidation and corrosion
inhibitors.
• Reduced friction for excellent protection against wear and improved fuel economy
• High resistance to viscosity and thermal breakdown
• Meets or exceeds the latest North American vehicle warranty requirements API SN and previous API engines classifications SM, SL, SJ, SH
and ILSAC GF-3, GF-4 and GF-5.
12/9/2010

10W-40

Physical Specifications
Procedure Test Min Max Typical Results
ASTM D4052 Specific Gravity at 60°F NA NA 0.8710
ASTM D287 API Gravity NA NA 30.96
ASTM D445 Viscosity at 100°C, cSt N/A N/A 15.33
ASTM D445 Viscosity at 40°C, cSt NA NA 106.5
ASTM D2270 Viscosity Index NA NA 152
ASTM D1500 ASTM Color NA NA 2.5
ASTM D5293 Cold Cranking Simulator, cP NA N/A 6771
ASTM D5185 Zinc, % mass NA NA 0.091
ASTM D4951 Phosphorus, % mass 0.06 0.08 0.079
ASTM D5185 Calcium, % mass NA NA 0.169
ASTM D5185 Molybdenum, % mass NA NA 0.0079
ASTM D5185 Boron, % mass NA NA 0.023
ASTM D4951 Sulfur, % mass NA 0.5 0.315
ASTM D5762 Nitrogen, % mass NA NA 0.102
ASTM D874 Sulfated Ash, % mass NA NA 0.92
TM
Conventional 10W-40 API Performance SN
• Super Tech Conventional Motor Oil contains only the highest quality, hydro-treated lubricating oils and a technologically advanced additive system, which includes detergents, dispersants, viscosity improver, anti-wear and anti-friction agents as well as oxidation and corrosion
inhibitors.
• Reduced friction for excellent protection against wear and improved fuel economy
• High resistance to viscosity and thermal breakdown
• Meets or exceeds the latest North American vehicle warranty requirements API SN and previous API engines classifications SM, SL, SJ, SH
12/9/2010

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
The only reason I dont use it now is because I like knowing exactly who made the product and who to call if I ever have an issue

That's the same reason why I don't use it.

Supertech is great oil. The wear numbers are very impressive. I've seen 2 10k OCI's on their synthetic that had very low wear numbers but they didn't opt for the TBN....shame. I've been using it for years but these days I only use it for top offs and cheap left over filler. I like the warm fuzzy feeling I get with pennzoil and I'll pay the extra money for it.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
I don't know definitely, positively,with 100% certainty who makes all of the SuperTech oils.

Most of the jugs that I've seen in the past had the WNE or the WPP on the bottom of the jug as the bottler/distributor of the SuperTech oils.

But still, I don't know who makes the oils for WPP/WNE to bottle and distribute for WM as Supertec.

The only exception to the rule for bottling and distribution SuperTech oil is the "clear quarts" of SuperTech full synthetic.

From what I've read on the QSAD quart bottles, SOPUS/QS has the exclusive rights to the "Clear" quart bottles. So maybe WNE/WPP buys the empty quarts from SOPUS/QS for the WM line of synthetic in quarts?

This has been a mystery for many years.

Who knows.....It could be a convoluted blend of base oils from the bottom of tanker trucks and railway tankers.....consolidated from all major oil companies, then a specific add pack is used just for WM....on only WM?

The WPP and QS bottles are nothing alike, aside from being clear and holding a quart of oil.

"Warren makes good products. Their Synthetic 5W30 was on the Corvette Approval List (pre-Dexos 1) and the HDEO 15W40 is on the Detroit Diesel / Mercedes-Benz Extended Drain List."

Gene K- I did a google search and found the DD/MB list, and it appears only the Wal Mart Canada Super Tech 15W40 is on the list.

PGOS 93K218 Approved Oils

http://extranet.detroitdiesel.com:80/support/on-highway/manuals/lubricants_fuels_coolants/power_guard_oils/index_93k218.asp

Originally Posted By: ledslinger
Gene K- I did a google search and found the DD/MB list, and it appears only the Wal Mart Canada Super Tech 15W40 is on the list.

I wish I were still driving a vehicle that used 15w-40. That would have been good in the old Audi, and it's on for about $40 for a five gallon pail up here right now.

"Their Synthetic 5W30 was on the Corvette Approval List (pre-Dexos 1)"

Not that it would be a problem, but it's hard to imagine a late model Vette owner running Super Tech.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Its WPP or EOM depending on what part of the country your in. Not a SOPUS product.

SOPUS does indeed make some Super Tech oil, and it is available only in limited parts of the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back