2001 Ford F150 Coolant question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't find what I was looking for. I recall reading something about Ford going back to the green coolant. I have an 2001 but it looks like I have the 2002 and on coolant - Orange?? I figure I should change it since it is the original coolant and I have 123,000 miles on it... Can anyone point me in the right direction? I am thinking that the original Peak stuff is fine for the task. Thanks!

Forgot to add that I got this truck from my Father not too long ago. Personally, I am very anal about maintenance so I like to get all the coolant out of the system and do a yearly radiator drain and refill.

I've switched vehicles from the orange factory fill to the green, without any issues.

Coolant not only carries away heat, but is also packed with additives to slow or stop corrosion and electrolysis. As long as you have the additives you need, IMO any color will work for you.

G-05 can be more than one color. Zerex G-05 does not have much of a color. Don't go by color. Just do a yearly drain and fill of the radiator (about 1 gallon of water and one of dist. water) and you will be fine. $20 a year for the cooling system.

Originally Posted By: sw99
Couldn't find what I was looking for. I recall reading something about Ford going back to the green coolant. I have an 2001 but it looks like I have the 2002 and on coolant - Orange?? I figure I should change it since it is the original coolant and I have 123,000 miles on it... Can anyone point me in the right direction? I am thinking that the original Peak stuff is fine for the task. Thanks!

Ford used green conventional coolant through 2001.

In 2002 they switched to the G-05 formula used by Mercedes, Chrysler, and several European marques.

The G-05 is longer lived and a bit less abrasive than the green.

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D
Originally Posted By: sw99

Ford used green conventional coolant through 2001.

In 2002 they switched to the G-05 formula used by Mercedes, Chrysler, and several European marques.

The G-05 is longer lived and a bit less abrasive than the green.

I know that's probably the "book" date, but my parents 2000 Expedition came with G05 in it. So I think there were some early adoptions.

I think both Ford and Chrysler switched to G-05 over the course of a year or so. So in that 2000 to 2001 model years, you might have gotten either. G-05 is compatible with the old green coolant but you will not get the long life properties until you have a high percentage of your coolant G-05.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back