Nissan Versa 2011 Oil suggestions - I'm perplexed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All, newbie to this forum. I'm an engineer/car buff and I must say that I'm perplexed by what I've been reading in some of the threads here, especially as it concerns synthetic verses conventional motor oil.

I've been a die hard Valvoline guy since I was a teenager and I am now 47. I've been through many repairs and have always been impressed by the cleanliness of a valvoline conventional oil motor. I can also say that I've never had a spun bearing or anything else related to poor oil or oil pressure happen to any cars I've owned. I always relpaced the oil every 3000-3500 miles, typically with fram or napa oil filter.

We have just purchased our first new car, a Nissan Versa with the variable auto trans. I need this to be a 200,000 mile car for us so I thought I would go to synthetic think it was better. The owners manual says that the oil requirements are SAE 5W-30 API or ILSAC with a 7500 mile oil change interval.

My wife drives this car where the shortest trip averages at least 25 miles, 25,000 a year. We live in southern Wisconsin, hot summers and cold winters. I hadn't switched to syn oil but did on this car for the first two oil changes which I did at 3500 miles each. I used Valvoline 5W-30 full synthetic. My thoughts were to switch to syn oil and change at the 7500 mile mark after the first two changes but some of the reading I've done perplexes me. What is right for this application? I need to keep the 100,000 warranty intact as well.

Thanks to all in advance. Gene

Welcome to BITOG!!!
Ive got a 2009 Versa sedan, 6MT, 1.8L. Its now got 27K on the odo, been trouble free thankfully. I drained factory fill at 1500 miles, then again at 3000 miles, after that ive been doing 5K oil changes with valvoline syn or pennzoil platinum. The syn oil has been a lot nicer in the Northeast winters, very cold starts, short trips.
Its hard to go wrong with a good quality syn, and since you arent stretching the miles inbetween very far, any good syn will be good.
I chose 5K oil changes since its between severe and normal "duty cycles" to keep in the warranty, just in case theres an issue. In your case, since you got the automatic, keep up on those transmission fluid changes, since the versa auto-boxes tend to give trouble down the line if not given a little bit of love!
Check out the versa forums, theres 2 of them, good maintenance stuff there.
Once again, welcome to the oil forum!

welcome2.gif

Over the past year there has been improved motor oil specifications and the vendors changed their formulas. GF-5, and API SN are the new standards. GM added a new certification called DEXOS1. The Valvoline White Bottle (VWB) you buy now meets GF-5 and SN. Your oil change interval is very conservative, your engine is not turbocharged or otherwise complex and you aren't towing or doing anything extraordinarily abusive. You can follow the manufacturer's recommendations. If your happy with VWB I'd stick with it.

Welcome to BITOG!

My Daughter has a Versa. I have been using PP 5/30 in it since she picked it up. No problems at all with it @55k. Doing 6k OCIs on it.

Last edited:
luv2rod,

I'd keep using the Valvoline synthetic in the 5W-30 weight as you choose and be happy to drive it to 7500K OCI's. The synthetic will last that long easy but wouldn't go farther than that myself unless you decide to use an extended version.

Durango

If i were keeping a vehicle long term i would keep using synthetic oil and viscosity grade that it calls for. you can't wrong with nearly any of them.

i think reading enough bitog makes most people wanna try different oil and filters to experiment or because they found it cheap or both.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: david_ES2
If i were keeping a vehicle long term i would keep using synthetic oil and viscosity grade that it calls for. you can't wrong with nearly any of them.

i think reading enough bitog makes most people wanna try different oil and filters to experiment or because they found it cheap or both.

I agree, quite a few BITOG'es accumulate a stash of sale oil and mix & match as the stash wears down. My "stash" of oil is on the Walmart shelves.

There is a lot more to life than just car oil & filters. There is for example hydraulic oil and hydraulic oil filters!!

On such a high mileage vehicle, 25,000 miles per year, you should opt for 7500 mile oil changes, but not running Valvoline conventional. Go for the Synpower.

I think you should stick with your life long Valvoline and I suggest staying with Napa GOLD filters. The Valvoline will be a fine choice and I would stay with a 5000 change cycle only because timing chains love good quality clean oil and I just don't want timing chain or guide wear. It maybe to often of oil changes but if something was to fail I would always wonder if I should have changed it more often. If you do all the service work and something fails there is nothing you could have done to stop it.
One thing to check out is the CVT Trans oil and it's service. If it is like the older CVT's they want 30,000 miles NISSAN only fluid changes and they want you to take off a cooler line and flush it with 15 to 18 quarts and the stuff was fifty dollars a quart. I would like to know what you find out about these 2011 models with CVT's.

Originally Posted By: luv2rod
The owners manual says that the oil requirements are SAE 5W-30 API or ILSAC with a 7500 mile oil change interval.

My wife drives this car where the shortest trip averages at least 25 miles, 25,000 a year.

What is right for this application? I need to keep the 100,000 warranty intact as well.

Your wife's driving pattern is extremely easy on oil. There's no reason you can't use conventional SN 5W-30 with 7500 mile OCIs with this driving pattern.

I always say 3k on dino and 5k on a synthetic. It may be too early but i would rather have a well running car than to try and get all the life I can out of the oil.

I have also noticed lately that many people seem to recommend conventional oil and I suspect the economy and oil price increases have a lot to do with this. The reality is that you will spend about $30-40 more per year on synthetic if you DIY your oil changes. I also got a new car this year that I will likely keep for 10 years so its worth it to me to run full syn. If you want to keep the warranty intact then follow the manual, sounds like you are on the right track so far with oil. You might want to check out the oil filter section for recommendations on those.

Originally Posted By: someguy
I have also noticed lately that many people seem to recommend conventional oil and I suspect the economy and oil price increases have a lot to do with this.

I'm not sure that's the reason. The new SN/GF-5-rated oils have more stringent requirements for robustness and deposit control, which matches up with the longer OCI's recommended by most major car manufacturers. So, the 'conventional' oil you buy now is simply a lot better than it used to be, and more suitable for a longer interval. There are a ton of conventional SN/GF-5 UOA's on here to support that position.

For the car in question, a 7.5K OCI with those driving habits? I'd use any SN rated 5-30 and call it day--and change it at 7.5K just to avoid potential warranty hassles.

Thanks to all for the many suggestions. Although I'm a bit surprised by the number of different opinions.

Is Synpower the same as the Valvoline 5w-30 full synthetic? I need to stay with 5w-30 for warranty purposes.

I know syn oil costs more. But I figured that if I can go to 7500 mile oil changes it will be a wash. I do use the Napa Gold Filter. Does this long term plan with Valvoline 5w-30 full synthetic sound good? For me, long engine life is the most important thing.

Thanks again!!

Even at 7500 miles, you're still looking at only 3 to 4 month OCI. While I agree with the others that the standard Valvoline (white bottle) would certainly be up to the task, I think for YOUR peace of mind you should stick with the full synthetic.

So yes, your thinking is sound.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: luv2rod
Thanks to all for the many suggestions. Although I'm a bit surprised by the number of different opinions.

Is Synpower the same as the Valvoline 5w-30 full synthetic? I need to stay with 5w-30 for warranty purposes.

I know syn oil costs more. But I figured that if I can go to 7500 mile oil changes it will be a wash. I do use the Napa Gold Filter. Does this long term plan with Valvoline 5w-30 full synthetic sound good? For me, long engine life is the most important thing.

Thanks again!!

Opinions are like a-holes everybody has one
shocked.gif
Enjoy the car you are doing fine

When I was running my 2009 Versa the way you describe, I did 5000 mile changes with conventional. The Versa seems to be pretty easy on oil and 25 miles is enough to get the engine warmed up good. It could probably go longer,even on conventional, but as you say, it's gotta last me awhile so I tend to be conservative on my oil changes.

It's going to be hard to go wrong with this engine/driving style. The only other consideration that comes to mind since you live in WI is to consider a 0Wxx oil for winter. Those very cold, dead of winter, Wisconsin starts will be the most stressful situation your engine sees in it's entire life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back