Dash board protectant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Do any of these dash board protectant 'evaporate' and then make the glass greasy ?
21.gif

That's an interesting question, something I never gave much though. I think some products might just do that.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: 2Fast4U
Originally Posted By: Chris B.

I find that hard to believe. Got any links to prove 303 has zero UV protection it in?

I've posted my own pictures before on this forum of the horrible experience with 303 and how UV protection was next to nothing. I purchased 303 ONLY because of this board and hands down it's been the worst protectant type product I've purchased for my vehicle.

Sorry, I think this was an instability in the dye. Notice how you have a black strip still on the cover? If UV was that severe, the whole thing would be grey.

I dont think 303 is to blame in your situation. I think a cheap/improper dye is.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Yeah, sadly 303 does it to some extent. I'd be interested to hearing about one that does not cause leave any glass deposits.

Definitely. Wonder how bad it is to breathe that junk flashing off.

I alternate 303 and vinylex myself. As I understand it, the vinylex replaces some plasticizers while 303 is purely for UV.

I like Megs Ultimate Protectant. It is high gloss. It seems to last about three to six monhs on things that get touched like the armrest. Things that aren't touched will last over a year in our weather. Car is outside 24/7. I DO get dirty windows though, maybe from off gasing.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
303 is purely for UV.

303 UV protection is a complete JOKE! This is what I was trying to show in the pics/links earlier.

Originally Posted By: BigBuck
Turtle wax makes some good non greasy Protestant in an electric green bottle. I've always like that stuff.

+1. Used to be called Formula 2001 or something. Now it's just called F21. Plus it's very affordable.

303 is laughable and it's UV protection is non existent. You would be better off w/ some over the counter product from WM such as 2001 or amorall (try different sheen level).

Can you offer some proof or link to why 303 has no uv protection? I thought it had uv protection.

303 UV protection is a complete JOKE! This is what I was trying to show in the pics/links earlier.

Have you tried contacting the maker of 303 to get their take on what happened to your grill cover?

Also, how was the 303 applied? You're supposed to wipe it clean with a second cloth after it was applied, not just leave it there. Just making sure you followed instructions...

Armor All has something in it that causes dashboards to crack.

I use Meguiar's, and Lexol, but 303 products are also a good choice for plastics.

Originally Posted By: JonP

I use Meguiar's, and Lexol, but 303 products are also a good choice for plastics.

Not sure about Armor All reports...but...the latter 3 choices do work well.

Originally Posted By: JonP

Some years I had a Jimmy and the dash was always good - until one year I decided to try Armor All. Just during that summer the dash darkened and developed cracks. It got bad quick. I haven't used a Armor All product since.
It didn't take long to turn dark and that alone should have stopped me from using it - it was like it was getting burnt/sun baked. It ended up so dark and the cracks widened that I ended up throwing a dash mat to cover the ugly.

One thing I've found ArmorAll good for is a quick spray shine for black leather shoes. Course I doubt many wear black leather shoes that require polish anymore.

Have no idea what this has to do with dashes.

From what I've heard, and for what that's wroth, the new ArmorAll (which should be on the shelves virtually everywhere for the past number of months) has addressed the issue of dash cracking. Apparently, the low-gloss ArmorAll never did suffer that issue.

Anecdotally, I've always hated ArmorAll, but when the new style Caprices came out in the 1990s, they had the giant dashes. When I was running the fleet, they got a dose of low gloss ArmorAll almost every day, and there were never any issues.

I used to like STP Son of a Gun, but that disappeared when they merged with or got taken over by the parent company of ArmorAll. The Rain-X dash protectant is pretty good, but a little greasy for some applications. Lately, I've been using Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner. It's not overly messy and not overly glossy. It sure makes the rags yellow, though.

My understanding is that Amour All will not (and never did) harm plastic any more/less than other products. The old vinyl was supposedly low quality and would dry. when you added any sort of a liquid it would expand and soften, causing it to crack. There was a Meguiar's rep who spent a disturbing amount of time defending their competitor (Armour All) to address this. I can find the text if someone needs it (it's on the Meg's board).

That could very well be the issue, too. However, ArmorAll did improve their formula in the past few years. I know that some people are picky to not use any cleaner or protectant that has petroleum solvents in them. ArmorAll does not have any, to the best of my knowledge. Some Meguiars products do, but the Mirror Glaze version I use does not. I believe Rain-X has petroleum solvents.

Originally Posted By: Russell
303 is laughable and it's UV protection is non existent. You would be better off w/ some over the counter product from WM such as 2001 or amorall (try different sheen level).

Can you offer some proof or link to why 303 has no uv protection? I thought it had uv protection.

As I mentioned, it looks like dye instability versus inability of 303 to protect. Note how there was a black strip still on the cover but it looks like a different material panel.

+1 for Vinylex ...used it for the first time yesterday and found after applying it dried to a mat finish - not overly shiny at all . Time will tell how well it protects , if it has excessive out gassing on windows , prevents cracking ,etc.

I've been using armor all for years and years with absolutely no problems. I don't know where the bad rap came from. I'm sure there are better choices, but cleaning and shining your dash and plastic with armor all will NOT cause your car to melt into a puddle, or crack into 1000 pieces. It doesn't last very long on the exterior, especially as soon as it gets wet, but for dash and interior trim, it works fine.
Tint your windows and use a windshield sun shade when you park. Nothing will fade or crack. I also have a dashcover. My interior better still look new in 30 years! Haha

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Pledge Extra Moisturizing.

+1

I use this as well from time to time. Heard somewhere that many auto detailers use this as it repels dust rather than attracting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back