190cc B&S engine oil change amount

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 1-year-old Toro mower has the 6.75hp 190cc B&S engine. I just changed oil on it today before putting it away for winter. I drained the old oil through the dipstick by tipping the mower. I had it nearly upside down, no more oil wanted to come out. Afterward, I was only able to pour in about 14 oz before it reached max on the dipstick. According to the manual, oil capacity is 20 oz though. Anyone else had this happen? It would mean that about 1/3 of the old oil was still in the engine. Probably not a huge deal, but kind of sucks by BITOG standards...

I have a 6.25hp B&S and was only able to put in 12oz. Not sure on capacity though.

I think some of us Bitogers have a leg up on most people, who probably never change the mowers oil
smile.gif

In the 6.75 i had 18oz was right on the full mark 20oz pit it over a fair amount but its only two more oz's. If you drain from the plug on the bottom of the engine all the oil should drain out.

Why not drain from the bottom plug? It must be cleaner and easier?
Besides, I would think all the metal 'Paste' would accumulate at the bottom, Better to wash it out than wash it through the engine.

The first time I drained from the fill/dipstick area was the last time. Draining from the bottom is way more efficient, all of the oil comes out.

I didn't realize draining from the bottom was an option. Toro manual only mentioned the dipstick method. But now that I downloaded the engine manual from B&S, it does look like it can be done... I haven't really looked closely enough to see if there is a drain plug under the deck...

The very same thing happened to me just last week when I changed oil on a Troy Bilt with B&S 775.

I read the manual and it read oil capacity was 18-20oz.

I measured out 20oz of Mobil 1 EP 5w-30 and did my oil change on a hot motor.

I nearly had the mower upside down and all the oil seemed to drain from the oil fill hole. when I measured out the old oil only about 15oz came out.

I'm assuming the motor must have burned off some oil. I was running QS ultimate durability full synthetic 5w-30 prior to the Mobil 1 EP.

Most of the newer engines hold 475 to 600 mLiters of oil or around 16 to 20 ounces.

I filled my new Poulan snow blower (209 cc, 6 Hp, 9 lb.ft torque) the other day and it only took 12 ounces.

However, the local service guy says they are putting in 10 ounces of oil because some people forget to put oil in new engines, thinking the oil is already in there, and of course, many have burnt up engines starting it the first time..

Last edited:
If you drain through the dipstick you can to dump, let it sit on the wheels a while and ump again several time to get most of the oil out. My new mower is tuff to get at the bottom drain plug as it is self propelled and the belts are in the way.

Originally Posted By: tmorris1
My new mower is tuff to get at the bottom drain plug as it is self propelled and the belts are in the way.

Yeah, I just looked underneath my Toro self-propelled, and I don't even see the drain plug anywhere down there.

My 675 Series Briggs doesn't have a drain hole, it has to be drained out the fill hole. Also, it does burn a bit, this season it's burned about 5oz in the 25 hours it's been run. I used Havoline DS 10W-30, maybe I should try some Straight 30.

I've been using multi-viscosity HDEO for all the B&S and Honda small engines I use/serviced so far, with minimal to no oil consumption at all.

Even my 16+yrs old B&S quattro 4.5hp mower with more than 200+hrs on it, never burn a drop of oil (using 10W40 or 15W40HDEO).

I'm now in the process of rinsing out the old breakin oil in my newly acquired (more like given to me for free) B&S 6.75hp craftsman mower, using GC 0W30 that I changed out from my fit...gonna do a couple more runs in this used GC before i winterise it and change it out with Chevron Isosyn 15W40 HDEO.

Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back