4 cylinder Nissan Titan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard that Cummins is hiring 600 workers for their new diesel line which is supposedly going into a Nissan Titan. Its going to be a 4 cylinder and get roughly 21/24 MPG which seems somewhat low to me. Anyone know more about this or have any thoughts on it...I also might have missed if this was already discussed here so I am sorry for a repost if necessary.

There are plenty of commercial trucks with 4 cylinder diesels (think a Ryder 17~20 foot truck).

I know people who don't really need trucks but use them as cars can't possibly fathom the idea, but people who drive work trucks everyday (and especially fleet people) probably won't be shocked.

I have a college friend whose parents owned a fleet of trucks for commercial overnight shipping.
This is in 2002 or 2003, so not too long ago.

I got to talking with his father about their trucks. He said that diesel's are a different beast and most of his trucks only had 4 cylinders.

Knowing what I know now I would have asked more information. He had everything from sprinter vans to large 18 wheelers, and the comment about having cylinders the size of coffee cans is probably correct.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
I just don't think the truck crowd will buy a 4 cylinder truck, diesel or not.

people who aren't ignorant about diesels are waiting for something like this,

This Ukrainian big boy has 2.8 L 4 cylinder diesel (Iveco) don't you think Titan is smaller?

Well there is secret weapon, tranny from BTR

Last edited:

350 pounds-feet of torque at around 1,800 rpm and 30 MPG is ought to convince at least some of them, I think, especially if gasoline prices keep rising.

ARE YOU KIDDING...the 4 cylinder diesel will put out more power than most v8 trucks....diesel is a very misunderstood concept I see...I want one as soon as they come out, money says I wont be getting one but ive seen gas trucks swapped to a 4bd cummons diesel and they have more torque and HP than the v8 that came out of it...added bonus of extra MPG's and you have a towing machine that will be more than capable of hauling most anything that a 3/4 ton truck can handle with better MPG's I personally think this was overdue and that the big 3 should start looking into switching theirs from 6-4 cylinders.

4cylinder turbodiesel trucks are incredibly popular down here.

My Nissan is 10 year old technology, 3 litre, 4 valve, direct injection. 150hp (3200rpm), 260ish ftlb (1800RPM)...in an 1800Kg vehicle, with rated load capacity of a tonne, and towing 3 tonnes braked...1.2 tonnes gross combination more than the V-6 in the same vehicle/year.

Way nicer to drive than the V-6, and gets 10km/l all day every day, versus the V-6 getting 7 on a good day.

In the last 10 years, the diesels have progressed seriously, with more power and torque. Mate's 2.5 has 20% more power, and 25% better mileage than mine.

Looking at workmate's new vehicles, it's their wives who are picking diesels after test driving petrol and diesels (at least in Subarus).

Nissan seems to be targeting the group in which does not need 800 ft-lbs of torque for just enfou to ge the job done with great mpg.

You see it all the time, a 5.9 or 6.7 cummins towing a small trailer of lawn equipment. Why do they need all that power? You see similar trailers being towed by trucks with 4 and 6 cylinders without problem.

Originally Posted By: 4x4chevydude
ARE YOU KIDDING...the 4 cylinder diesel will put out more power than most v8 trucks....diesel is a very misunderstood concept I see...I want one as soon as they come out, money says I wont be getting one but ive seen gas trucks swapped to a 4bd cummons diesel and they have more torque and HP than the v8 that came out of it...added bonus of extra MPG's and you have a towing machine that will be more than capable of hauling most anything that a 3/4 ton truck can handle with better MPG's I personally think this was overdue and that the big 3 should start looking into switching theirs from 6-4 cylinders.

While I agree that the 4-cyl diesel is a great idea and will likely make more than enough power for this application:

Quote:
The engine has a 2.8-liter displacement (170 cubic inches). Initial power figures on the engine dyno have the mule test engine producing 350 pounds-feet of torque at around 1,800 rpm. A chart in the presentation shows targeted power levels to be approximately 220 horsepower and 380 pounds-feet.

Current smallest V8 offerings:
Ford 5.0L: 360HP/380lb-ft
Dodge 4.7L: 310HP/330lb-ft
Chevy 4.8L: 302HP/305lb-ft
Toyota 4.6L: 310HP/327lb-ft

Current biggest V8 offerings:
Ford 6.2L: 411HP/420lb-ft
Dodge 5.7L: 390HP/407lb-ft
Chevy 6.2L: 403HP/417b-ft
Toyota 5.7L 381HP/41lb-ft

So while this new diesel certainly makes more torque than most of the smallest available V8's, it makes less than all of the larger V8's.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

So while this new diesel certainly makes more torque than most of the smallest available V8's, it makes less than all of the larger V8's.

You forget to mention that diesels make all their torque at low rpm's and have a very flat torque curve, so it is more useable.

Last edited:
Sorry Burt, but with all the variable valve timing tech being used in modern engines the torque curve is VERY flat on many designs.

Lots of turbo smaller displacement engines have peak torque way under 2000 rpm, some at 1500! Not giving much up to the diesels anymore.

Originally Posted By: Burt
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

You forget to mention that diesels make all their torque at low rpm's and have a very flat torque curve, so it is more useable.

Even my old S62 has an almost perfectly flat torque curve from just off idle to the 5250 cross-over.

Originally Posted By: FXjohn

people who aren't ignorant about diesels are waiting for something like this,

+1

I disagree. This would of been nice around 2005 or so. But today meh, what does the fuel economy numbers look like? Even if by the time this engine to hit the market 400 foot lbs of torque will be average and as SteveSRT8 has pointed out the torque curve of today's gasoline engines starts low and is pretty flat. People today that do not agree with this either do not understand how their engine, transmission, and gear ratio works or are forgetting the fact their pickup already weighs in at over 21/2 tons unloaded. Or they long for the good old days of carbs, cheaper gas, and AM radios.

Pickup trucks today are the equivalent of muscle cars back in the day.

V8 Hemi engine is all marketing. Lifted trucks with smoke stacks that don't see a lick of dirt are the new eye candy.

I've seen toyota pickups with the 22RE engine haul a 13-foot trailer with two Snapper riding mowers. Now that's a work truck.

I've seen remote access drilling rigs run off 4cylinder diesels and they can drill pretty deep through tough limestone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back