Diesel Biocide Additive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was and am curious just how many of you have used and do use any type of Biocide to keep all the green slimy stuff out of your diesel fuel tanks?

Do you think this product is necessary in a daily driver pickup?

My 7.3L just turned over 287K miles and I have never added any type of Biocide to my fuel tank... I just wonder if I need to invest in a 16oz bottle and treat my fuel system?

Does anyone Know---->What is the main cause of bacteria and fungi within the fuel tanks?

Just trying to gain more knowledge on this product and subject...

Thanks SyN

Ok--I just came across some info stating that water in the diesel fuel breeds all the bacteria and fungi... I guess by keeping the fuel tank full 3/4 of the time, you eliminate the possibility of water forming...

Last edited:
In a daily driver its not needed only for stored fuel long term where moisture,condensation will be a issue.

My truck sat 20+ years. Started it and drove it home on 20+yr old Diesel. Looking inside the tanks they look clean to me.

I did drain that fuel and added fresh fuel and the Biocide addative just in case but I don't know if it was really needed.

You need water plus a source for the bugs. The bugs/algae/slime/whatever grows one the oil-water interface, and generally in a warm climate. The bugs can get introduced at any fueling if the new fuel is contaminated. It is acidic, so in addition to plugging filters, the acid can etch and damage injection pumps. I've seen it a couple of times, and it can be a mess to get rid of. Kill it, and you still have the slime in the tank and filters until it is finally all flushed away and filtered out. It is rare but occasionally reported to have the algae growing in the crankcase. Damage can be major, and lube oil can't tolerate the biocide.

If you don't have a problem, you probably don't need to do anything special. If you use a multi-purpose fuel treatment, find with with a bit of biocide in addition to the other additive in the stuff. If you do get bugs, slug them hard with biocide, find a new fuel supplier, and buy filters by the case.

I once put some biocide in a 2004 VW TDI and it corroded the brass parts in the fuel gauge sender. Would avoid unless there is a known problem and even then I think it's better to clean out the tank manually.

Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME
I once put some biocide in a 2004 VW TDI and it corroded the brass parts in the fuel gauge sender. Would avoid unless there is a known problem and even then I think it's better to clean out the tank manually.

I've used the Racor biocide in my 86 Jetta (diesel), 95 MB (300 Diesel) , 7.3 & Dmax for 3 years now. I guess it depends on the biocide manufacturer. Racor is well know and trusted name especialy in the marine diesel industry or boating world.

Thanks for the advice and thoughts... I will probably aquire some Racor Biocide... For the first 250K the previous owner never added any fuel additive...And never really cared where he filled up...So there is no telling what has formed or is growing within the fuel system... I will say... I'm not having any issues at this time though...I just woke up one day and thought about this... My wife told me it's time for me to go back to a gas pickup...

This 7.3L diesel has me thinking all the time...

If you had the algae growing in the fuel, you'd know with the clogged filters full of slimy, sulfur-stink stuff. Nothing wrong with a shock dose, but there is probably no need for you to use the biocide regularly.

Thanks Ken: Thanks for all the advice... I will just continue using FP60... Andy just sent me a free bottle of Rev-X Distance...Going to pour 2oz in next fill up...

Thanks again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back