07 Ford Escape dome light stays on

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a family member's 2007 Ford Escape for a few days, and it has a problem where the dome light does not turn off. Eventually, after shutting the trucklet off for 10 minutes, the battery saver kicks in and shuts off the light. That's of no help while driving, though.

This vehicle does not appear to have conventional pin switches, so I figure the door switch must be integral to the locking or handle mechanisms.

Is anyone familiar with this problem, and if so, what to do about it?

The door switches are integral to the latches. There have been a bunch of updates to that part, sell a fair amount of them. Heads up they are not cheap.

We have seen this alot with superduties. Alittle wd40 on the latch has fixed them.

Does this normally happen after you have it washed or after a storm?

bdcardinal, I had a gut feeling that was going to be your answer!

Smokefan, I just encountered the vehicle for the first time this evening. It's been sitting unused in a garage for about six weeks. So no water intrusion.

Originally Posted By: Smokefan1977
We have seen this alot with superduties. Alittle wd40 on the latch has fixed them.

Had the same problem on my Ranger, WD40 fixed it.

Sprayed it right in to the latches.

My problem was on the rear "half-doors"

My 07 mustang had the same "problem" - of course I then realized the little dimmer knob was all the way up and once I pushed it down a hair and closed the door it worked correctly. Daggone operator error.

Smokefan, I'm absolutely going to try WD-40 when it warms up. I didn't mean to imply that I was dismissing your suggestion.

Barkleymut, this vehicle does not have a traditional dimmer knob.

Thanks, guys!

No joy with the WD-40.

For now, I pulled the map light bulbs to cope. My cousin's husband can do the repair when the vehicle returns to its home. I'll leave it to him to diagnose which latch is the faulty one. Are these the correct part numbers below?
Code:
RF 6L8Z-7821812-B $188.67

LF 6L8Z-7821813-B $202.50

RR 6L8Z-7826412-B $200.03

LR 6L8Z-7826413-B $279.10

Well it was worth a shot Stu. Im not sure of the part numbers im not at the shop today
grin.gif

I don't understand 'Alittle wd40 on the latch has fixed them.'
I understand if the door jam switch is sticking , a shot of WD-40 could free it up and solve the problem of the light staying on. But why could a little WD-40 on the door latch could help this problem?

Originally Posted By: Jim Spahr
I don't understand 'Alittle wd40 on the latch has fixed them.'
I understand if the door jam switch is sticking , a shot of WD-40 could free it up and solve the problem of the light staying on. But why could a little WD-40 on the door latch could help this problem?

On My ranger, The switch to the dome light is inside the door and actuates from latch pressure.

If it is dirty it sometimes get stuck in the "Open" position and leaves the dome light on even when the door is closed.

Sometimes a little WD-40 will clean up and lubricate the switch enough for it to start working again. Sometimes not, and then you have to replace the switch.

Thanks for checking the numbers, bdcardinal. I passed the info on, as well as a copy of the door panel/handle/latch R&R instructions.

Well it's kinda simple and the reason I asked if it happens when it rains or after the vehicle is wash. With that said what does the WD mean in WD-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back