Doesn't everyone here want the best? Win vs MAC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
If you think that a $54 HD is the same longevity and quality of higher-cost parts, you have a lot to learn.

If you think there is a difference, I'm sorry, but you are wrong. Apple doesn't use Enterprise-grade drives in their lower-tier products. Likely the only system they MIGHT use something like an RE3 in would be the Mac Pro.

Don't buy a Dell. They are garbage, I'm dealing with a lemon right now.

Dell's high-end business stuff is fine. It's the consumer stuff that is garbage.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
No need, I already did that for you:
http://www.amazon.com/NEC-PA271w-bk-27-Inch-2560-1440/dp/B003LD1QRY

Do you know what Look Up Table is for starters? You can not even compare that joke of a monitor with a professional grade NEC unit. It's like comparing a lapdog with a wolf.
Apple had an edge in 1990's. Nothing innovative since they killed BeOS. Now they're selling this implementation of repackaged 40 year old UNIX. On top of that they are cutting corners on hardware front. Their monitors, HDDs are not what they used to be . What's the advantage? Esthetics. So, I bought an MBP for my wife.

I expect to be attacked here, since I am not allowed to comment like anybody else. Nevertheless. I will say what I want to say.

I used mostly Macs at home for a long time, and mostly Unix and Windows at work. I still own my old iMac, but I have moved away from Apple.

Apple Computers are pretty much like any other computer if you look inside. They have fancy exteriors but the interior components are pretty much like any other computer. But they cost a lot more. In fact, Apple often seemed to lag behind in technology in some areas. For example, it was a long time before USB 2 started to appear on Apple Computers. Apple preferred its own firewire. And CD-DVD players on Apple Computers often seemed to lag behind their Windows counterparts in speed and technology. Anyway, cost of computer is a big issue.

I have to agree that Apple is far ahead of Dell in quality and customer service, but nobody has to buy a Dell. Personally, I like custom built Windows computers with quality components. If you have a good computer case you can just replace components whenever necessary. And that custom built Windows computer does not have to be expensive. Go buy a MaximumPC Magazine and see how much of a desktop computer you can build for $530.00. For about $1500.00 you can build a Windows computer that compares to a $3000.00 MacPro.

Mac OS X definitely is a nice operating system. Although I did not really care for it completely until Tiger came along. In fact I still prefer Tiger to the newer Mac OSX operating systems. Mac OS X is far better than Windows XP. But if you compare Windows 7 to Mac OS X it is a different story. Windows 7 is a nice operating system.

Another thing I like about Windows is the hardware and software compatibility. I can continue to use the same photo printer I have been using for some 5 years and the same flatbed scanner I have been using for some 5 years. With the latest operating system from Apple, I don't think I would even be able to run the printer. I do know one thing for a fact-I can get far better prints using my Windows computer than my iMac (which still has an older version of Mac OS X). This was a stunning surprise for me because it sure used to be the other way around some years back. I think Apple may have forgotten about the computer graphics people. Apple does not seem to worry if you can still use your older photo printer or if you can upgrade your powerful but older Apple Computer to the most recent Apple Mac OSX.

This thread is such a troll I don't know how to respond to it.

I don't want the best for my cars or pay for it. I just want it to work the way I want it to and for a low cost.

Why would a Mac be the "best"? It is a trade off between different decisions and I can list a lot of things that it does well and doesn't do well compare to Windows. (Hint: I use 2 Mac at work and 1 Windows at home)

I can intentionally crash both OS at will and both have serious problems. Older Windows have some security issues and power consumption is high, Mac have problem with touch pad right drag and have horrible file system layout and disk performance but good battery life.

In the end it really doesn't matter what you buy as long as you like it. But fan boy trolling just sucks regardless of which side you are on.

The corporate culture of the fruit farm is starting to change after SJ left the seat for TC.

Company matching your charitable donation is the first thing that shows up, and the amount of people just throwing recycle stuff into trash and the trash into food drive donation bin is reduced.

Not sure if future product decision will be changed yet, but in the old days it was pretty obvious that SJ mandate if there is a conflict between "the best choice" vs "backward compatibility", the choice must be "the best".

Example. Some sort of office productivity software can organize the data file in a certain way that is more efficient and reliable, but will break compatibility with the previous version. A VP ask SJ which route to take, and SJ answer "is that really a question?".

The result is obvious: it target 20% of the market that want something that isn't available because of what the 80% of the people want is the norm, and charge a heck of a lot more for it. That's why when the Japanese do a reverse engineering tear down on the 1st gen Macbook air, they were saying "why is the PCB so ackward and costly? we can do better than that", and as well as the external antenna that you are holding wrong.

Because of these reasons, this company will never be the majority and never capture the major market share. It is the 20/80 rule, but they want the 20 instead of the 80.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cooper
Originally Posted By: Nick R
Why do I get the feeling that the OP was specifically baiting me with his post? You know what OP= troll.

No, I actually was not baiting you. Thanks for calling me a troll though. What really does that mean? You don't like my opinion on Mac vs. PC, so I am a troll? It is my legitimate opinion that Mac is the better choice. I do understand there is no "best", but we are always in the pursuit of "best". Are we not? That is more what I was getting at. I actually think Apple is more of a value, when you add into all of the cost involved with the higher priced Windows software, Internet Security, etc. over the life of the computer. I just recently installed OSX Lion, $29.99. What is a fully loaded version on Windows 7 running these days? $319.99 from Microsoft!!!!!! Now, that is overpriced, is it not? How about the Windows Office, vs the Mac version of Office? Anyway, please don't call me names, not cool. And, I wasn't calling you out, I don't even know who you are.

There is a way to state you opinion on a subject without sounding like a pompous butt. Your original post failed to do that.
Stating opinions as facts is a big reason you post got labeled a troll post. For example: "They are obviously the best." That is not the way to do it. Your original post also seems to carry the implication that people who do not use Macs are stupid. Then toward the end you directly attack people who use Windows as kool-aid drinkers.
If your original post was closer to this post, you would not have been called a troll. Opening your 9th sentence with "I actually think..." is one of the big things; it tells us it is your opinion. Same with your 12th where you end with a question, making it our opinion of if that is over priced or not.

Also, like someone else said, Home Premium is about ~$100 and Ultimate (you did say fully loaded) is ~$190. $319 is closer to the price I paid for a Home Premium 3-pack to convert all my PCs to Se7en. Yes, I like Se7en that much.
I do experience crashes on a regular basis; maybe once a month or so. This is do to me overclocking the heck out of my poor machine. 2.66GHz running 4GHz. My last one was "A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval." This is a hardware failure. It is due to one of the processors locking up and failing to respond so Windows BSODs.
As for security.
CS2010.jpg

It does not cost me anything.
wink.gif
10.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cmf
My windows never crashes, I have no issues with it, and macs are overpriced.

Overpriced!?!?!?!?

What are you talking about?!?!?!

It may be more than what your looking to spend on a computer. And if you do not need or want what they offer, than you would be correct. There overpriced for you.

But they are not over priced for what you get.

I paid $1699 for a quad core, 1 TB hard drive computer with a 27inch LED 1440 resolution 1000:1 contrast ratio screen.

Try finding JUST the screen else where.

Now add a equally equipped computer to it. And Key board, and mouse, and cables.

I mean, I have no issues with Windows, I love it. I still use it on my laptop.

But Apple is not really overpriced. It's just expensive.

I like how you act like you're enlightening to me to the ways of buying computers.

Quad core: $160 for Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66 (you just said quad core so I can't match performance with what you have)
1 TB HD: $54 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148697

Apparently your computer doesn't have ram or a video card or a motherboard or a power supply unit or really anything.

And let's see, a 27 inch LCD (I think you mean LCD not LED, since you linked a LCD monitor) 2560 x 1440 1000:1 contract ratio for dun dun dun $900: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001523

Anyway... Macs are still overpriced. And they are not more than I'm willing to spend on a computer. But you are right, I do not want what they have to offer, which is essentially "ease of use" for computer illiterate people.

No I mean LED. Try finding an LED screen with 1440 resolution and contrast ratio of 1000:1.

We both found "LCD" screens for about $1000. So. Tell me how much the LED's are. With an HD web cam and stereo speakers built in mind you.

Now add the hardware.

http://www.xpcgear.com/intel-i5-2500s.html
$270

http://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-PC3-10666-1333MHz-240-pin-Channel/dp/B0014BOQ54
$55

http://www.amazon.com/XFX-Radeon-HD6770-...mp;sr=1-1-fkmr1
$115

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=1TB+%287200+rpm%29+hard+drive&x=0&y=0

Lets say $60 just for the sake of argument.

So just for the "main" hardware (im not counting the other little stuff) we are looking at $500 plus the cost of the screen. YOU find an LED 27inch 1440 screen. *if* you can it is going to be $1000 ($999 if you go with Apples screen, but Apple is OVERPRICED according to you) if not more.

Now add the operating system. $30
The wireless keyboard and mouse. Atleast $50 bucks for nice ones.
OoOoO Your going to need a housing to put all of your hardware into. Let me know how much that is.

NOW. Here is the KICKER!!!! Pay a PROFESSIONAL to put everything together and get it operating!!!!! Most of us do not know how to do that. Me included.
So. . .
How much is that????

O and wait. Your homemade setup is not going to be put together like the apple. Everything housed in the thin screen behind a very nice aluminium shell.

What did I pay again?? $1699.

HHMMMMMM. . . .

That sounds actually REALLY fair.

Not "overpriced" at all.

Please. Educate yourself before you make blanket statements.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
This thread is such a troll I don't know how to respond to it.

I don't want the best for my cars or pay for it. I just want it to work the way I want it to and for a low cost.

Why would a Mac be the "best"? It is a trade off between different decisions and I can list a lot of things that it does well and doesn't do well compare to Windows. (Hint: I use 2 Mac at work and 1 Windows at home)

I can intentionally crash both OS at will and both have serious problems. Older Windows have some security issues and power consumption is high, Mac have problem with touch pad right drag and have horrible file system layout and disk performance but good battery life.

In the end it really doesn't matter what you buy as long as you like it. But fan boy trolling just sucks regardless of which side you are on.

Agreed. The original post was nothing more than an attempt to bait people into responding, and starting a MAC vs. Windows flame war.

The sad part is that so many people took the original posters bait and ran with it, rather than just let the post die.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

Dell's high-end business stuff is fine. It's the consumer stuff that is garbage.

Exactly.

My windows never crashes, I have no issues with it, and macs are overpriced.

Overpriced!?!?!?!?

What are you talking about?!?!?!

It may be more than what your looking to spend on a computer. And if you do not need or want what they offer, than you would be correct. There overpriced for you.

But they are not over priced for what you get.

I paid $1699 for a quad core, 1 TB hard drive computer with a 27inch LED 1440 resolution 1000:1 contrast ratio screen.

Try finding JUST the screen else where.

Now add a equally equipped computer to it. And Key board, and mouse, and cables.

I mean, I have no issues with Windows, I love it. I still use it on my laptop.

But Apple is not really overpriced. It's just expensive.

I like how you act like you're enlightening to me to the ways of buying computers.

Quad core: $160 for Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66 (you just said quad core so I can't match performance with what you have)
1 TB HD: $54 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148697

Apparently your computer doesn't have ram or a video card or a motherboard or a power supply unit or really anything.

And let's see, a 27 inch LCD (I think you mean LCD not LED, since you linked a LCD monitor) 2560 x 1440 1000:1 contract ratio for dun dun dun $900: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001523

Anyway... Macs are still overpriced. And they are not more than I'm willing to spend on a computer. But you are right, I do not want what they have to offer, which is essentially "ease of use" for computer illiterate people.

No I mean LED. Try finding an LED screen with 1440 resolution and contrast ratio of 1000:1.

We both found "LCD" screens for about $1000. So. Tell me how much the LED's are. With an HD web cam and stereo speakers built in mind you.

Now add the hardware.

http://www.xpcgear.com/intel-i5-2500s.html
$270

$55

$115

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=1TB+%287200+rpm%29+hard+drive&x=0&y=0

So just for the "main" hardware (im not counting the other little stuff) we are looking at $500 plus the cost of the screen. YOU find an LED 27inch 1440 screen. *if* you can it is going to be $1000 ($999 if you go with Apples screen, but Apple is OVERPRICED according to you) if not more.

OoOoO Your going to need a housing to put all of your hardware into. Let me know how much that is.

NOW. Here is the KICKER!!!! Pay a PROFESSIONAL to put everything together and get it operating!!!!! Most of us do not know how to do that. Me included.
So. . .
How much is that????

O and wait. Your homemade setup is not going to be put together like the apple. Everything housed in the thin screen behind a very nice aluminium shell.

HHMMMMMM. . . .

Not "overpriced" at all.

Please. Educate yourself before you make blanket statements.

LED is a backlighting method for LCD screens. Nothing more.

SAMSUNG S27A850D 27"-WIDE LED 2560X1440 1000:1 5MS(G2G)

$790.00 Canadian.

You are welcome.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

$790.00 Canadian.

You are welcome.

Yes. It is a backlighting method for LCD screens. Nothing more?

Yes. Nothing more except LED offer a brighter and whiter white light.
And it offers instant brightness (no tube lights to warm up)

Found the screen on New egg for $899. I think its the same screen posted already. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001523

You did read the posts you quoted right?

Anywho, the conversation was Apple products are overpriced. From the price list of everything in it, it is clear they offer there Mac at a fair price.

$790.00 Canadian.

You are welcome.

Found the screen on New egg for $899. I think its the same screen posted already. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001523

Anywho, the conversation was Apple products are overpriced. From the price list of everything in it, it is clear they offer there Mac at a fair price.

Yes, I did. I posted my price on the unit. And yes, nothing more. People like to talk of LED like it is an entire new type of monitor. It isn't. It is an LCD. Just like the LCD's they replaced. They have changed the backlighting method. The new method is better. It doesn't change the fact that it is still "just" an LCD.

Regardless, you paid $1700 for a computer. Cool. Do you have the spec's handy for your actual components (or are the ones you "priced" above what you have?) so I could price-out that Samsung monitor and a small tower that would have identical components? Just to see what the actual price differential is?

No, it won't be built into the monitor. But it would be interesting to see what sort of premium you are paying for that "feature".

$790.00 Canadian.

You are welcome.

Yes, I did. I posted my price on the unit. And yes, nothing more. People like to talk of LED like it is an entire new type of monitor. It isn't. It is an LCD. Just like the LCD's they replaced. They have changed the backlighting method. The new method is better. It doesn't change the fact that it is still "just" an LCD.

Regardless, you paid $1700 for a computer. Cool. Do you have the spec's handy for your actual components (or are the ones you "priced" above what you have?) so I could price-out that Samsung monitor and a small tower that would have identical components? Just to see what the actual price differential is?

No, it won't be built into the monitor. But it would be interesting to see what sort of premium you are paying for that "feature".

YOU quoted my post where I laid out the prices of the things in my Mac!!!!

And I dont want to here about "your prices".
What is the price if a consumer (me) wants to buy it online or in a store?

Here, I will post again:

(Please note: when I say "you" in the text below, I am referring to user "CMF" except in the red text)

"http://www.xpcgear.com/intel-i5-2500s.html
$270

$55

$115

So just for the "main" hardware (im not counting the other little stuff) we are looking at $500 plus the cost of the screen. YOU find an LED 27inch 1440 screen. *if* you can it is going to be $1000 ($999 if you go with Apples screen, but Apple is OVERPRICED according to you) if not more.The screen you shown is LED, I found at it's cheapest at $899. So call it $900 for the screen.Does that samsung come with built in speakers and a HD webcam? If not, add those things to the cost list.

So. . .
How much is that????

HHMMMMMM. . . .

Not "overpriced" at a
ll.
"

Exactly.

And what do most people buy????

And again, why have my apple products ben flawless, yet my dell products of the same age, same travel use (I carry two computers) and actually lower total use fare worse?

Let's see... Mac - no issues
Dell - bad HD, bad NIC, bad PCMCIA, one failed battery, two re-images, corruption of my user profile, etc.

And the quality of the 15.4" screen on the mac versus the dell is just blatantly obvious. Other nice touches on the mac like keyboard backlighting are also great.

Never had a virus or trojan on either.

Whatever the difference in selecting parts, the mac has held together and operated better, boots faster, runs faster, multitasks better, etc.

There are so many intricacies, including very slight part number differences that can mean major differences in the end product (saving a few cents on a capacitor or bearing can have huge lifecycle cost ramifications), that arent immediately obvious.

And even if apple derates the parts in our MBP/MBAs, they still run faster than our windows machines.

And I run windows a lot... but if I had my choice for most things, I would not be tied to windows or some paper spec.

And by the time I spec out and get high end parts for a good windows box, it isnt cheap.

Yes, but you quoted Newegg and parts that aren't necessarily equivalents, so that is why I asked. Anyway, in the interim, I've gone and priced it out for us to compare:

This is the iMac with the 27" screen for $1699.00:

http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MC813LL/A?select=select&product=MC813LL%2FA&mco=MjIwNTQ2Njc

i5 quad-core 2.7Ghz
4GB of 1333Mhz RAM
1TB HDD
Basic wireless mouse
Basic wireless keyboard
Radeon 6770M (this is a MOBILE Graphics card)

So for something comparable (in performance, not the "all-in-one" glory)

-i5 2500: $225.00
-Intel H61 Mobo: $68.00
-Crucial 2x2GB DDR3 1600Kit: $29.00
-WD Caviar Blue 1TB: $60.00
-Microsoft Wireless Keyboard/Mouse kit: $35.00
-Windows 7 Home Premium: $110.00
-Radeon HD 5670: $72.00
-Case w/PSU $45.00
-Samsung 1440 res monitor: $790:

Total: $1434.

I'd probably sell it for $1499.00

So, you save about $200.00. Whether that difference is significant or not really depends on whether you think having it all-in-one is worth $200.00 or not.

For you I'd say it is right?

Exactly.

And what do most people buy????

And again, why have my apple products ben flawless, yet my dell products of the same age, same travel use (I carry two computers) and actually lower total use fare worse?

Let's see... Mac - no issues
Dell - bad HD, bad NIC, bad PCMCIA, one failed battery, two re-images, corruption of my user profile, etc.

And the quality of the 15.4" screen on the mac versus the dell is just blatantly obvious. Other nice touches on the mac like keyboard backlighting are also great.

Never had a virus or trojan on either.

Whatever the difference in selecting parts, the mac has held together and operated better, boots faster, runs faster, multitasks better, etc.

There are so many intricacies, including very slight part number differences that can mean major differences in the end product (saving a few cents on a capacitor or bearing can have huge lifecycle cost ramifications), that arent immediately obvious.

And even if apple derates the parts in our MBP/MBAs, they still run faster than our windows machines.

And I run windows a lot... but if I had my choice for most things, I would not be tied to windows or some paper spec.

And by the time I spec out and get high end parts for a good windows box, it isnt cheap.

You are in agreement with us sir
grin.gif

Despite your rant
wink.gif

Dell's servers and higher end stuff is good. I think the rest of their stuff is junk.

Yes, but you quoted Newegg and parts that aren't necessarily equivalents, so that is why I asked. Anyway, in the interim, I've gone and priced it out for us to compare:

This is the iMac with the 27" screen for $1699.00:

http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MC813LL/A?select=select&product=MC813LL%2FA&mco=MjIwNTQ2Njc

i5 quad-core 2.7Ghz
4GB of 1333Mhz RAM
1TB HDD
Basic wireless mouse
Basic wireless keyboard
Radeon 6770M (this is a MOBILE Graphics card)

So for something comparable (in performance, not the "all-in-one" glory)

-i5 2500: $225.00
-Intel H61 Mobo: $68.00
-Crucial 2x2GB DDR3 1600Kit: $29.00
-WD Caviar Blue 1TB: $60.00
-Microsoft Wireless Keyboard/Mouse kit: $35.00
-Windows 7 Home Premium: $110.00
-Radeon HD 5670: $72.00
-Case w/PSU $45.00
-Samsung 1440 res monitor: $790:

Total: $1434.

I'd probably sell it for $1499.00

So, you save about $200.00. Whether that difference is significant or not really depends on whether you think having it all-in-one is worth $200.00 or not.

For you I'd say it is right?

So you would get everything, build it, set it up, and deliver it to the user for $65!?!?!?!?

HD webcam? Speakers? SD card slot? Can we throw two Thunderbolt ports on the system aswell? since the Macs come with them.

The mouse is not a normal mouse. Rather a multi touch mouse. So, yea a plastic microsoft mouse will work. But it's not an equal substitute.

I highly doubt any consumer could find a professional to build this custom computer and set up everything for the user for $65.

Also, I have yet to find that screen for under $899. We are talking what consumers will pay for the products.

Add up the cost for the consumer.

You tell me. For what you get through Apple. Is it "overpriced"???

Your set up is going to be a basic black screen, a little tower, cables going from screen to the tower, ect. . .

I really can't see how anyone can call Apple overpriced. After you add up everything the Apple comes with, can you?

It may not be what one is looking for. And thats why we have the bargin Dell systems. And the fully custom built towers.

I dunno. While I wont call a Apple a "bargain".

I can't see how anyone could call them overpriced.

1. I didn't say that's what I pay for those products. There is margin in the products. That said, retailers don't make much on computers.

2. Thunderbolt? No. It isn't a Mac
wink.gif
Seriously though, there isn't much use for that interface on a PC at this time. HD Webcam (Microsoft) is $28.00. A pair of Altec speakers is $15.00. I'd probably throw one of those in, charge for the other.

3. The mouse is "normal" for a Mac, just like this mouse would be "normal" for a PC. They are comparable. One from Apple, the other from Microsoft. Suited for their respective OS's.

4. I would sell that screen for about $825.00 by itself. I'm not sure why the on-line prices are so high for it. It obviously is cheaper "with a system".

5. There are no additional "costs" to the consumer for what I quoted, save taxes. $1499.00 would be what I'd charge for that system.

6. If somebody WANTS an all-in-one, and given the parts, no, the Apple isn't "overpriced". However, if somebody doesn't care, then the extra $200.00 is an extra $200.00. It is the consumer's call. It isn't like we are talking about a Mac Pro where I'd say what you get actually IS a good deal for the parts. It plays at a different level.

7. Yes, it will be a standard screen/tower configuration. There are wires. I mentioned that when I priced it out. It is going to be up to the user as to whether this matters or not. If it is worth $200.00 or not.

8. So for YOU, the extra $200.00 is worth it. Which is what I was saying. For somebody like Nick, $200.00 is going to buy him a much better video card, a LOT more RAM.....etc. It is all relative. So for somebody like Nick, $1699.00 is over-priced. For you it isn't. Different people, different criteria.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back