NEW K&N PS Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: river_rat
Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
No E-core

That's for sure. I'm surprised.
Looks like a AC/Delco, pre-Ecore...now called the AC/Delco "Classic" which, IIRC, was Champion Labs.

Yes it does. The spring is the same as a pre
E-core AC Delco I cut open for the same application, just the ADBV is different.

I see that the baseplate is the thinner version found on Champ's cheaper filters, not the thick plates like the M1, K&N, and RP premium filters. What is the can like? Thin like SuperTech/STPs, or thicker?

Just curious, thanks!

Originally Posted By: musicmanbass
I see that the baseplate is the thinner version found on Champ's cheaper filters, not the thick plates like the M1, K&N, and RP premium filters. What is the can like? Thin like SuperTech/STPs, or thicker?

Just curious, thanks!

Can is thinner than the K&N HP series filters. Don't have thickness measurements but easier to squeeze.

Quote:
I wonder what is different?
Marketing to a different market niche. The original K&N oil filter seemed to be average filtration with a stout can. This K&N seems to be perfectly average in all regards, except maybe the marketing push. Nothing wrong with them and nothing special about them.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Quote:
I wonder what is different?
Marketing to a different market niche. The original K&N oil filter seemed to be average filtration with a stout can. This K&N seems to be perfectly average in all regards, except maybe the marketing push. Nothing wrong with them and nothing special about them.

How was the "original" K&N average filtration?

Originally Posted By: Trex101
Just received an email back from K&N tech. Their new PS oil filter are rated at 90% 20um, is this number good?

Fram "orange cans" are 95% 20 microns, there are a lot of filters that have better efficiency than 90% @ 20. Sometimes it depends on the size of the filter. The small ones have lower efficiency in some cases. Example: Purolator PL14612 is 99.9% at 40 microns.

the second picture of the 2004 screams flow--flow--flow--

IMO calling this series of filters PS XXX is an epic marketing blunder--who doesn't think power steering as soon as you see PS

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
Yes it does. The spring is the same as a pre
E-core AC Delco I cut open for the same application, just the ADBV is different.

Looks like the current AC/Delco Classic.
Not the greatest filtration numbers, but not terrible, either.
Might as well go Purolator Classic or PureOne if not going to get the "good" K&N filter with the nut on the end.
I don't remember what the high-end K&N oil filters were quoted for efficiency, but they were very good numbers. Somewhere they are posted on this board.

Oh yeah, here is what they gave me for the HP-1004, and HP-2009:
Filter media efficiency (per ISO 16889):
100% at 40 microns
100% at 35 microns
100% at 30 microns
99.4% at 25 microns
98.9% at 20 microns
97.1% at 15 microns
92.3% at 10 microns
82.5% at 5 microns

looks like a pure sales issue, the HP line cost $10-$13 (ave filtration great flow, built like a tank) and they probably felt they were pricing themselves out of the ave Joe market that is price tag sensitive so they produced a cheaper component filter to compete and increase sales. non informed will see the K&N Label and just assume Higher Quality.

I know this thread is old but just wanted to show my thanks & appreciation because I always wanted to know more about the pro series K&N oil filter line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back