2000 Jeep Cherokee What To Use In Differential

Status
Not open for further replies.
what do i use in the front and real differential on a 2000 Jeep cherokee and do i need a friction modifier in the rear?
What weight do i use? How can i tell if it is a limited slip differential??

lsd will have a metal tag held on by one of the diff cover bolts if dana, if chysler axle they often have a tag wrapped around the axle tube on the right side directly behind the brake cover. 80w90 should be just fine maybe 75w140 if you wheel it or put a lot of load on it.

Last edited:
Have a look here:

http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehiclelookup.aspx

Diff fluid to use depends on your engine and 4wd system. I've found that the Amsoil spec charts are very accurate.

You can tell if it's limited slip by using the following test:

1. Jack up vehicle by rear differential (front wheels chocked)
2. Put transmission in neutral
3. Turn one rear wheel forward. If the other turns backward, you have an open differential. If the other side turns forward, it's a limited slip.

standard.jpg

An open differential is on the left hand side. Limited slip is shaped more like a cylinder and is on the right.
thumbsup2.gif

Hello, Thanks for the illustrative pics. Is the reason the LSD is "squarer" because that's where the stacks of cluch discs are? When I changed the fluid in my sister's 1999 Cherokee's differentials at 150K I couldn't believe the amount of grit in each. When you do this job schedule time for cleaning. I used Amsoil synthetic Gear Lube 75-90. So far, so good. Kira

Stop at the dealer with your VIN and ask for a copy of the vehicle off their Star Network. Its free and takes only a minute. It will tell you everything that went into your vehicle at the factory.

+1 on the Amsoil Severe Gear.

Have you changed the transfer case?

Hello, To Donald: If you're asking me, it wasn't Severe Gear. It was the most basic Amsoil Gear Lube and yes, I changed out the transfer case using jug DexMerc from the auto parts store. My sister uses her 4WD so infrequently I figured I'd let the cheap stuff rinse the transfer case for a while before considering any synthetic fluid. Kira

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back