Royal Purple 0W40 SM VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
e69405-001.jpg

Reactions: a5m
I was thinking about trying either this or M1 0w40 in the Subaru but based just on these numbers the M1 looks much better. Does RP use a lot of organic additives that dont show up? BTW thanks for all these VOAs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SubyRoo
I was thinking about trying either this or M1 0w40 in the Subaru but based just on these numbers the M1 looks much better. Does RP use a lot of organic additives that dont show up? BTW thanks for all these VOAs.

Word is, Synerlec mitigates the need for large amounts of traditional additives.

14.29 centistokes is a stout viscosity for Royal Purple 0w40. This should definitely hold its viscosity better than the Royal Purple 5w30.

The KV100 spec' of 14.29cSt tells one very little without knowing the HTHS vis as well. It is higher than M1 0W-40 but if it's HTHS vis' isn't correspondingly higher than M1's 3.8cP then it's not as "stout" an oil. It would simply be high due to a lot of polymer thickeners in the oil. Unfortunately RP doesn't provide much technical info' on their oils and I couldn't find anything on their current website.

Synerlec (an ester I believe) may mitigate higher additive levels such as Phosphorus but without RP saying it does and knowing the oil is not on the approval list of car manufacturers that spec' the grade, it wouldn't be prudent to assume it does.

I don't think this oil is intended to compete with M1 0W-40 and the fact that it is more expensive leaves it as an unattractive option IMO.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
The KV100 spec' of 14.29cSt tells one very little without knowing the HTHS vis as well. It is higher than M1 0W-40 but if it's HTHS vis' isn't correspondingly higher than M1's 3.8cP then it's not as "stout" an oil. It would simply be high due to a lot of polymer thickeners in the oil. Unfortunately RP doesn't provide much technical info' on their oils and I couldn't find anything on their current website.

Synerlec (an ester I believe) may mitigate higher additive levels such as Phosphorus but without RP saying it does and knowing the oil is not on the approval list of car manufacturers that spec' the grade, it wouldn't be prudent to assume it does.

I don't think this oil is intended to compete with M1 0W-40 and the fact that it is more expensive leaves it as an unattractive option IMO.

http://royalpurple.com/prod-pdfs/motor-oil-ps.pdf

When I asked about a year ago, HTHS was 3.6. M1 0w40 used to be 3.7.

This oil is only spec'd to ACEA A3/B3-04.

Can't think of anyone who uses RL, RP, RLI because of how cheap they are. It's about performance (perceived or real)

Last edited:
RP VI is decent at 182 but if the HTHS vis is 3.6cP then they are likely using lower VI base oils and more VII's; hence the relatively high KV100.
On balance I would still prefer M1 0W-40 even if RP was cheaper which it's not.

RLI doen't make a 0W-40 but their 0W-20 and 0W-30 oils are actually cheaper than M1 in Canada.

RL 0W-40 has a number of attributes over M1 that may be desirable such as a higher VI, ester chemistry and higher moly and ZDDP levels.
Price aside I too would prefer RL to M1 in a number of applications including the fact that RL can be blending with their 0W-30 to provide a wide range of possible high VI viscosities.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Can't think of anyone who uses RL, RP, RLI because of how cheap they are. It's about performance (perceived or real)

Unless you're in my neck of the woods where the RP 0w-40 is cheaper than the Mobil 1.
wink.gif

If I had something under warranty that required a manufacturer's specification, well, M1 0w-40 or GC might be the choices.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
So how much is RP 0W-40 in "your neck of the woods".
M1 0W-40 is about $10.50/L here.

I get RP 0w-40 for a hair over $10 here. It's not a huge savings, but it is surprising. RP 5w-40 is the same price. I get all the other RP grades for around $9 per litre.

I've never looked around for pricing but RP at CTC here is $13.99 and RL was $12.99 but they don't seem to be stocking it anymore. M1 0W40 is close to $12 as well.

Ctn Tire is not the best place to buy specialty oils unless they're on clearance.
RP is best sourced from a RP dealer and M1 0W-40 from NAPA or an Imperial depot like NOCO Lubricants ($10.50/L).

Lordco a B.C. auto parts chain had a clearance deal on old formula Royal Purple in August. The new SN formula does not have the synerlec additive, they were clearing out the old formula which was the one I was after for $6.99/Quart bought about 30 Quarts of assorted weights.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back