Oil Recommendation - 2012 Ford Focus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I'm too lazy to look it up, but I don't think the new Focus has DI engine.

Anyway, if you want to use synthetic, then let the OCI run until the car tells you to change oil, otherwise dino will do the same job as synthetic at 5-6k OCIs

EDIT:

I stand correced, it is a DI engine. In this case I probably would not use dino for more than 4k, maybe even 3k max.

As you found out it does.

And I'd NEVER run an extended OCI (esp a 10k) with that engine EVER.

Changing the oil is a GOOD thing with DI motors. Any 5w-20 oil rated SM/SN would be your BEST bet with it getting changed on whatever severe service OCI is listed in the manual.

Don't give Ford any reasons for warranty concerns *IF* needed.

Bill

PS: Need a reason why DI motors are "special"?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clarence_Iba
The MC Syn Blend is perfect for a 7500 mi OCI. I use it in our Hondas and Fords and it's a wonderful product.

Are you Hondas or Fords DI motors?

I agree its a excellent oil.. (as every other 5w-20 oil is)

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
The MC Syn Blend is perfect for a 7500 mi OCI. I use it in our Hondas and Fords and it's a wonderful product.

Bill, I get the sense that DI freaks you out a bit
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

grin.gif

Yeh. Not all DI engines are created equal. The new Ecoboost is DI and doesn't seem to have the same problems as others do. I think.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: Joeywhat
Thanks gents. I'll just stick with the 0w-20 then. Another question on intervals, with my aggressive driving habits and the frequent short trips, should I be good with 6k changes, or can I bump that up to 10k? I don't really care how often it gets done - I'll do it as often as need be...but if I can stretch it out without any problems I will.

What is your warranty requirement. 7500 or maybe 10K? After the warranty go to 10K. IMHO.

The manual doesn't quote a requirement, rather to do it when the 'info center' on the car tells you to. They do mention to go no more then 10k (or 1 year) if you haven't been notified by the vehicle...but that's it. AND, based on reports from other owners, the message center doesn't always seem accurate as some have said they went over 10k with no change oil message.

So that leaves it pretty open as far as changes go. I went to 4k when the car was new with no messages, and I'm at 8500-ish right now again with no messages. I'm also not confident that the car will give a proper oil change interval for my more aggressive driving, with short trips and cold winters in mind.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

grin.gif

I'd RATHER not have it (and just bought a new vehicle that had the option of either a engine with DI or not. I picked the NON-DI motor because I don't need to be the tester or deal with the issues of DI.)

I really don't see the need for DI other than making the numbers on a EPA/CAFE/CARB scale look better. Injectors cost more, more issues like deposits and why deal with it? The non DI motors work just fine for my use.

Yep correct it freaks me out!
shocked2.gif
grin2.gif

Yea. Not all DI engines are created equal. The new Ecoboost is DI and doesn't seem to have the same problems as others do. I think.

"I think"?
crackmeup2.gif
Please read this site and see the deposits. See what brand and type of motor they use for the test bed.. Gasp its the one you "think" is perfect. (BTW ALL DI MOTORS ARE HAVING THIS "FEATURE")

Reason why you need to stop with the blanket statements for OCI and such as we have tried to discuss before.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: Joeywhat

The manual doesn't quote a requirement, rather to do it when the 'info center' on the car tells you to. They do mention to go no more then 10k (or 1 year) if you haven't been notified by the vehicle...but that's it. AND, based on reports from other owners, the message center doesn't always seem accurate as some have said they went over 10k with no change oil message.

So that leaves it pretty open as far as changes go. I went to 4k when the car was new with no messages, and I'm at 8500-ish right now again with no messages. I'm also not confident that the car will give a proper oil change interval for my more aggressive driving, with short trips and cold winters in mind.

I'm not familiar with Fords OLM but it sounds like its not working as well than most others. But GM has issues with their OLM and their DI motors so I'd rather use a lower OCI like 5,000 and get a UOA. That would be much better plan than blindly trusting something new like their OLM/DI motors.

Take care, Bill

Bill,
Thanks for the marketing on BG products. Looks like good stuff and I may try it. Also notice the write up on the new Ford I4 Direct Injection engine coming to the US next year. Start with the 4th paragraph as Ford claims DI deposits are a thing of the past with this engine. No doubt not all DI engins are the same at this time, but like all new technology the bugs will be worked out.

http://www.autoobserver.com/2011/03/fords-new-big-gun-in-small-car-engines.html

Bill,
Thanks for the marketing on BG products. Looks like good stuff and I may try it. Also notice the write up on the new Ford I4 Direct Injection engine coming to the US next year. Start with the 4th paragraph as Ford claims DI deposits are a thing of the past with this engine. No doubt not all DI engins are the same at this time, but like all new technology the bugs will be worked out.

http://www.autoobserver.com/2011/03/fords-new-big-gun-in-small-car-engines.html

I did not post it to "market" but to show you (Ford or *ANY* other mfg is not putting out info like this) what DI IS doing out there.

So a mfg "claims" that these "issues" are a "past problem" (they ADMIT that it IS a "problem") but their latest motor has them?

Quote:
Although he called intake-valve deposits “a fact of life” for GDI engines because the lack of raw gasoline sucked in over the intake valves of a conventional port-injected engine to “wash” the valves, Ford’s figured out the proper injection-timing calibration to help eliminate the problem. But he also said the technology of injection components – particularly the high-pressure solenoid injectors – has quickly matured, meaning excess valve deposits should be a thing of the past.

Now that is marketing right there!

Nothing they do to injectors is going to do ANYTHING to the back sides of the valves. I don't like the words "help" eliminate the problem and "should be" a thing of the past. Until I see MANY motors without the "issue/problem/feature" I'm not going to say its fixed. Again we really don't NEED DI except it ticks off another check box or makes a higher number to get someone happy.
thankyou2.gif

Again ALL DI motors have this "feature" (my new vehicle is not a Ford so right there is another MFG with DI motor that I'm avoiding)

But your last line says it all. "but like all new technology the bugs will be worked out"

I'm NOT going to be the one to beta or "work" it out on.

Bill

PS: I've never used BG products and have NO plan to ever use them. Bad marketing person I am...
06.gif

I'm NOT going to be the one to beta or "work" it out on.

Bill

PS: I've never used BG products and have NO plan to ever use them. Bad marketing person I am...
06.gif

But, Bill, if you don't test mule this for me, how am I supposed to decide whether or not to buy one of these new Fords in the next couple years?
wink.gif
Maybe they could devise a new BITOG user colour and title - perhaps plaid text username with a Mod/Test Mule notation.

As for marketing, I sell plenty of products that I either have no use for or simply choose not to use.

Bottom line for me in this subject is for the OP to use whatever is recommended (5w-20 API SM/SN or equivalent) and I'd suggest a 5k OCI with a UOA to see what HIS motor is doing. Then with that data we can come up with a more educated plan.

Running x for x OCI (esp a 10k OCI) is something that is way too much of a risk with this vehicle. Esp with a warranty that may have to be used. Ford does ask for records when requesting warranty work (been there done that PERSONALLY) so I'd want to make sure everything was covered.

No mfg is going to ding you for too often of a OCI with whatever they recommend. It does help in certain situations.

Bill

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
What is so special about Ford that makes so many people here so sure that Ford's crack at DI has no problems?

I agree that bugs will eventually be worked out by ALL MANUFACTURERS sooner or later, but this glorifying of Ford is laughable.

I think it was Ford's discussion about the issue with DI deposits and using camshaft timing to "wash" the intake valves through reversion with the mixture in the chamber.

Yep, that's the ticket. Looks like anyone who can move the cam(s) far enough can solve this problem.

Since many cars do this it should be a simple programming issue.

But I still have yet to confirm the Ford rumor. You got anything on that Overkill?

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Yep, that's the ticket. Looks like anyone who can move the cam(s) far enough can solve this problem.

Since many cars do this it should be a simple programming issue.

But I still have yet to confirm the Ford rumor. You got anything on that Overkill?

I remember reading something about it when they were talking about the EB torture test in the truck. However, I can't find the source now for the life of me.

Bottom line for me in this subject is for the OP to use whatever is recommended (5w-20 API SM/SN or equivalent) and I'd suggest a 5k OCI with a UOA to see what HIS motor is doing. Then with that data we can come up with a more educated plan.

Running x for x OCI (esp a 10k OCI) is something that is way too much of a risk with this vehicle. Esp with a warranty that may have to be used. Ford does ask for records when requesting warranty work (been there done that PERSONALLY) so I'd want to make sure everything was covered.

No mfg is going to ding you for too often of a OCI with whatever they recommend. It does help in certain situations.

Bill

Makes good sense to me...

Keep in mind (and not straying too far off topic) that Ford is doing many new things with this car. Never hurts to be safe either way...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back