Oil Recommendation - 2012 Ford Focus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, looking for a recommendation for my new 2012 Focus. I read a lot of the info on the main BITOG site, but still have a few questions.

About the car: 2012 Ford Focus with 2.0L Duratec gasoline direct injection with variable cam timing (intake & exhaust). It sees a lot of short trips (5-30 minutes each), and a decent amount of highway 1+ hours. Owners manual recommends 5w-20.

I tend to drive a bit on the aggressive side, although for the most part I keep everything pretty calm. That being said from time to time I do like to run it hard on the back roads, and I will eventually get into autocross with it (probably next year). I definitely don't baby it, but I also don't just keep the go pedal mashed to the carpet. Car has 8000 on it now, oil was first changed at 4000, and will be changed again at 10k. Plan is to change it every 6k. Manual doesn't explicitly say when to change it, rather to do it when the car tells you to...however it does say 10k max between changes. I don't trust the car, especially when I've heard of other 2012 Focus drivers saying they've gone over 10k already without the car saying it needs it...I typically run Motorcraft filters, or Wix if I have to.

Also, I live in Metro Detroit, so it will experience some very cold days for a few months. Winter temps usually in the 20's or below, and a few weeks of 10 and below are typically normal as well.

So what would be a good oil for me? I was leaning towards synthetics as it seemed they helped a lot in colder climates and for short trips. I don't mind paying the extra money if it will help. Obviously I don't care to spend it if it's doing nothing at all vs dino oil. I was also perplexed by the wide variety of synthetics, especially when some were almost as cheap as dino oil...

Thanks for the help.

Nice car.
If you are going by the OLM I'd use Mobil 1 0w20 or Amsoil or PP.
The M1 and PP are relatively inexpensive in 5 quart jugs at WM.
I think you can get the MC filters there too.

Yeah, can't really beat M1 0W-20. Easy to get, and good for all weather.

Don't know what your 'thoughts' are on ordering Amsoil - their 'OE' line is a good, cost-effective option for sub-10k OCI's.

Change it every 6k?

Any 5w-20 API SM/SN will protect it as well as anything else.

$13 QSGB is QUITE a bit cheaper than $28 syn... Like more than twice.

Bill

PS:
welcome2.gif

I could do this with PP and MC filter for $25 at my WM and be full syn change.

I'm with Bill on this one.

If you "want" to run synthetic oil go right ahead, but, you don't "need" to run synthetic oil.

I use MC 5W20 in my F150 and it hasn't blown up yet.

Enjoy your new car.

Wouldn't the Motorcraft 5w20 syn blend be the default for this car? Folks seem to love it, isn't always cheaper than full syn on sale though... Doug

Originally Posted By: Seguino
I'm with Bill on this one.

If you "want" to run synthetic oil go right ahead, but, you don't "need" to run synthetic oil.

I use MC 5W20 in my F150 and it hasn't blown up yet.

Enjoy your new car.

I've lived through those Michigan winters before. Get a 0W20 in whatever flavor you want for the winter. Summer is 5W20 in whatever flavor you want.
Almost all 0W20 if not all is Synthetic.

I'm waiting for the focus ST to come out. Then I may just pull the trigger on a new car for that one!

2012_ford_focus_st_cd_gallery.jpg

But my budget mindedness and thrifty nature will only allow me to get this:

mazda-2.jpg

Last edited:
There is no reason to go 0W20 in winter then 5W20 in summer. Pick one and run it year 'round. Were it mine it would have 0W20.

Looks like I'll grab a 0w-20 then. I was intrigued by the Amsoil OE stuff as it seemed considerably cheaper then most other synthetics. Assuming I stick with a 0w-20, would it be the most economical choice? I don't mind ordering it online, will probably grab a case or two assuming shipping isn't too absurd. I don't think I've seen it locally.

I've also read a lot about 0w and 5w-20 oils and being good for mileage and such but not as good at lubricating. Any thoughts on going to say a 0w-30? Or is that just more internet lore based on old ideas?

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
There is no reason to go 0W20 in winter then 5W20 in summer. Pick one and run it year 'round. Were it mine it would have 0W20.

Yeh. Switching oil wts is what we did in the 60s. It's old school. M1 0-20 works great in my Fords year round.

Originally Posted By: Joeywhat
Looks like I'll grab a 0w-20 then. I was intrigued by the Amsoil OE stuff as it seemed considerably cheaper then most other synthetics. Assuming I stick with a 0w-20, would it be the most economical choice? I don't mind ordering it online, will probably grab a case or two assuming shipping isn't too absurd. I don't think I've seen it locally.

I've also read a lot about 0w and 5w-20 oils and being good for mileage and such but not as good at lubricating. Any thoughts on going to say a 0w-30? Or is that just more internet lore based on old ideas?

I don't know about the MOST economical, but it's price, especially the PC price is EXCELLENT - and it's a great oil.

XW-20 oils are GREAT lubricants. Lots and lots or lore, aka Bee Ess.

Hey Joeywhat,
I'll play devils advocate on this one and offer another choice. Everyone is suggesting either Motorcraft 5W20 blend or Mobil 1 0W20 or 5W20. They are both good, plain vanilla choices and won't let you down.

However, I happen to notice that the higher performance Fords (EcoBoost engines some higher performance Mustang engines), recommend 5W30. There might be an unsaid durability reason (under hard driving, I don't know. I'll let the Bitog crowd speculate. I'm using Motorcraft FULL Synthetic 5W20 on a 2011 Ford Taurus (non EcoBoost). It really runs smooth, no odd start up noises and I have obtained Hwy mileage up to 32 mpg using it. You are still covered using it for warranty purposes. Since Ford tests all their vehicles with Motorcraft, 5W20 blend, using the cut above full synthetic is a no brainer. It is hard to find, other than the dealer (I bought a large stash of it for $2/qt at Advance Auto clearance). You could buy Kendall 5W20 Full Synthetic at a local Conoco distributor. It is rumored to be the same product, but with Titanium added.

If I could not find those two products mentioned, I would use Red Line 5W20 or Mobil 1 0W30. However you might loose 1 or 2 mpg using these thicker, oils and might not be covered using it for warranty purposes.

That's easy...a cheap, solid syn-QSUD (Quaker State synthetic)

This is one of those rare times I'd avoid using dino.. Those DI mini engines like to beat up oil..

I've been doing research on both this car and the Cruze deciding what to get...

Thanks gents. I'll just stick with the 0w-20 then. Another question on intervals, with my aggressive driving habits and the frequent short trips, should I be good with 6k changes, or can I bump that up to 10k? I don't really care how often it gets done - I'll do it as often as need be...but if I can stretch it out without any problems I will.

Thanks gents. I'll just stick with the 0w-20 then. Another question on intervals, with my aggressive driving habits and the frequent short trips, should I be good with 6k changes, or can I bump that up to 10k? I don't really care how often it gets done - I'll do it as often as need be...but if I can stretch it out without any problems I will.

One word....

WARRANTY.

Bill

What is your warranty requirement. 7500 or maybe 10K? After the warranty go to 10K. IMHO.

I'm too lazy to look it up, but I don't think the new Focus has DI engine.

Anyway, if you want to use synthetic, then let the OCI run until the car tells you to change oil, otherwise dino will do the same job as synthetic at 5-6k OCIs

EDIT:

I stand correced, it is a DI engine. In this case I probably would not use dino for more than 4k, maybe even 3k max.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back