SHELL Full Synthetic 5w-30 : Yaris 4,705 miles ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the report from Blackstone .

Code:

Aluminum : 3

Chromium : 0

Iron : 9

Copper : 1

Lead : 0

Tin : 1

Moly : 62

Nickel : 0

Manganese : 0

Silver : 0

Titanium : 0

Potassium : 2

Boron : 9

Silicon : 16

Sodium : 5

Calcium : 2044

Magnesium : 7

Phosphorous : 662

Zinc : 777

Barium : 1

SUS Visc.@210F : 57

cSt Visc @100C : 9.35

Flashpoint in F : 405

Fuel% : < 0.5

Antifreeze % : 0.0

Water % : 0.0

Insolubles % : 0.1

TBN : 3.1

This was the S.N./GF-5 . There was 35,650 miles on engine at that time . Added 10 ounces of TECHRON at 1,065 miles into this oil interval and looks to have no impact on the results . Drove the car for 25 miles before the draining . Replaced the oil with SHELL full synthetic 5w-20 ( SN/GF-5 ) along with another TOYOTA oil filter ( 90915-YZZF2 ) . Air filter is TOYOTA . The prevoius oil was PENNZOIL Y.B. ( conventional ) 5w-30 ( SN/GF-5 ) with TOYO oil filter . Here's that for a comparison ( http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2258333&page=1 ) and another U.O.A. of the 2010 YARIS 3 door using same oil and oil filter ( http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2217800&page=1 ) . The SHELL synthetic doesn't seem much better than the P.Y.B.. The SHELL synthetic was $3 a quart at BJs Wholesale .

Last edited by a moderator:
Some reason the VALUES SHOULD BE were not stated for the SUS Viscosity @210F and cSt Viscosity @ 100C on this report . They were 55 > 62 for the SUS Visc @210F and 8.8 > 11.1 for the previous U.O.A. of the P.Y.B. conventional 5w-30 . Would they remain the same for the SHELL full synthetic 5w-30 ? Still in the learning process for used oil analysis . Thanks

Forgot to mention it's a 2008 YARIS base model sedan w/ a 4 speed auto that was bought new .

Nice UOA, my uncle is using FS syn in his '10 Versa. He wants 10k oil changes with no UOA (he is kind of cheap) but after seeing this I feel he is going too far, but that it most likely will not be a big deal. He is a 95% highway driver so I think he will be OK. Thanks for Posting this analysis.

Matt

This is mostly highway . We deal with many a mountains to climb . Thus high r.p.m.s , so they may contribute to the low TBN .
21.gif

Last edited:
Thanks Odie for posting the UOA on the Shell Full synthetic.

I agree that the PYB does look better than the Shell Full Synthetic for your UOA. In fact, the Formula Shell Dino may even have the Shell Full Synthetic beat in some categories. If memory serves me right, the Dino Formula Shell was loaded with Moly and after some UOA's of over 6K still had about the same TBN remaining as this shorter run with Shell Full Synthetic.

I'm running 2 quarts of Formula Shell Full synthetic in a blend with a Gallon of Shell Rotella T6, Full synthetic now. I plan to run this mix until late spring, before my next OCI.

May have to get some SHELL conventional 5w-30 ( or 5w-20 ) to put to the test
07.gif
whistle.gif

Last edited:
I've got a stash of Formula Shell Conventional, PYB and some Quaker State Green Bottle from clearance sales.

It now looks like I will most likely use these Dino oils in a blend with the 4- 5 remaining cases of Shell Full Synthetic in 5W-20, 30 for future use.

IMO...The Formula Shell appears to be okay and nothing spectacular....so I will just use the remaining Formula Shell Synthetic in a mix with other conventional SOPUS oils, FS Dino, PYB, QSAD until the 4 remaining cases are depleted.

Originally Posted By: odie
May have to get some SHELL conventional 5w-30 ( or 5w-20 ) to put to the test
07.gif
whistle.gif

IIRC, SN Formula Shell conventional dropped their moly some while PYB raised their moly content.

Also, I can't help be recall faintly remembering that a Yaris wasn't 'great' on oil...as in, not a superb candidate for extended OCIs? Maybe they tend to shear the oil at an above average rate?

Surprising TBN for the mileage, though it could make 7,500 in this app. Hard to know without a test at that mileage to compare to this one.

I wouldn't call the TBN "low" until I knew what the virgin number was. Maybe it was only 7 to start with. Even so, I don't think a 3.1 TBN is low and, in my opinion , this oil could have run a fair bit longer, 7-8K easily . Insols were very low as well and the oil hadn't sheared much.

When I start with a new oil, I send in a virgin sample at the same time I send the used one because that's really the only way to compare.

Some reason the VALUES SHOULD BE were not stated for the SUS Viscosity @210F and cSt Viscosity @ 100C on this report . They were 55 > 62 for the SUS Visc @210F and 8.8 > 11.1 for the previous U.O.A. of the P.Y.B. conventional 5w-30 . Would they remain the same for the SHELL full synthetic 5w-30 ? Still in the learning process for used oil analysis . Thanks
Called Blackstone and the SUS and cSt remain the same . They're going to send an updated report by email .

Hopefully the new fill of the SHELL full synthetic 5w-20 (SN/GF-5) will hold up as well as the the 5w-30 synthetic . Should I go the same amount miles with it ? The winter months could be harder on this interval . The 6 months of use falls in mid March . Have to do the 6 months or 5,000 miles to keep the extended warranty given to us for free by TOYOTA for the head gasket replacement .

Last edited:
Called Blackstone and the SUS and cSt remain the same . They're going to send an updated report by email .
Well , got the updated report by email and the VALUES SHOULD BE are slighly different for the synthetic than I was told over the phone . They are :

SUS Visc @ 210F : 56 > 63
cSt Visc @ 100 C : 9.1 > 11.3

Report shows :

SUS : 57.0
cSt : 9.35

Last edited:
All the "should be" tells you is the range for the 5W30 grade. It doesn't tell you what this particular oil started as. The Data Sheet for what I think is the oil:
Shel Syn 5W30 listed 10.51 cSt @ 100C and that viscosity loss is consistent with other 5W30s with 0.5 fuel content. Even so, a virgin sample from the same batch you used and tested by the same lab is the best way to compare apples and apples.

Originally Posted By: cp3
Been looking at Formula Shell PDS due to the price here and thinking about going back to conventional. The syn PDS caught my eye as being similar, so I checked... FS 5W30...identical.

Guess they're to busy to make a possible correction
wink.gif
. Then the PENNZOIL product data sheets are still not available . Must be a SOPUS thing between the faulty sites and bottles ( leaking caps and failing jugs ) . Someone get a doctor !!! To cure these ills .

Last edited:
Silicon of 16 ... some of that may be anti-foamant but you might want to double-check the air filter. That iron of 9 is a bit high ... which may be Si dust getting past the air filter and scoring the cylinder walls.

None of those values are alarming, however.

The Universal Average for IRON is 9 and 15 for SILICON . So , they're where they need to be . The IRON went down with the synthetic 5w-30 , the prior number was 12 with the P.Y.B.. As for the SILICON , that's likely from the TOYOTA form in place silicone gasket sealant ( http://www.autopartscheaper.com/TOYOTA_OEM_FACTORY_SILICONE_GASKET_SEALANT_FIPG_BL_p/00295-00103.htm ) used for the head cylinder gasket at 23,747 miles last September . The car now has 36,000+ miles . The mechanic went bonkers with the black silicone sealant for the timing chain cover and other areas . I'm still getting small black pieces of the sealant showing up in the oil filler hole . Have a TOYOTA ( Denso ) oil filter to open up one of these days to see how much of it is trapped in it . Last , there's black sealant all over the engine . Sloppy job . Car seems fine so far . Last , installed a new TOYOTA air filter in the spring if I remember correctly .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back