Cummins 5.9 Turbo in Freightliner...new to forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I tried a couple of searches but didn't hit my question...

Our Freightliner Chassis has a Cummins 5.9 Turbo. Owner's Manual says 15,000 miles or 1 year on the oil. Last year we put on about 4,000 miles of interstate-type travel. It's been a year. We will probably put on another 4,000 miles this year, or less? 95% of the time it just sits in one place.

Can I run the oil another year? Rotella 15W40. AT.

thanks!

You may not have an engine warranty to be concerned about but I would still change it annually. Acid builds up and an oil change is inexpensive compared to a potential $19K engine change. I would also be concerned about the diesel setting that long.

Originally Posted By: 229
You may not have an engine warranty to be concerned about but I would still change it annually. Acid builds up and an oil change is inexpensive compared to a potential $19K engine change. I would also be concerned about the diesel setting that long.

I try to take it out at least once/month for 30 minutes or so but right now I cannnot until my shoulder recovers from surgery, yuck. I'm supposed to run the generator too, double yuck.

I would just run it another year, it has a very big sump and you don't sound like you put it through severe service. I think you would be fine in this instance. It is a diesel not a gasoline engine.

Keep it in it will be totally OK.

you have to get together with a group of buddys'.the filter will be the biggest deal.When I first took the filter off the Detroit
Diesel, I though I was in for a hernia,other than that,the 35 Qts used was the piece of cake.If you want to go longer on the oci it's ok, as long as you at least document at less than 15k,on the current oil.

I thought ISBs had 12 quart pans.

I would change the oil if it where my truck. Go to wally world get their 15w-40 and their filter...the OC will set you back like 50-60 bucks tops.

15 quarts? Might as well buy four one-gal jugs of whatever 15w-40 HDEO is on sale and a decent filter. That should cost, what, $60?

Where did you get $200? Maybe if you let a stealership do it.

Since you're getting the engine hot and working on the long trips you could go 2 years/10K on a quality HDEO. The Cummins B is a fairly easy engine on oil, although if it's a common rail I personally like to keep an eye on the oil level to ensure against leaking injectors. An oil analysis after the 2 years to see how the oil did would be a good investment, too.

Originally Posted By: taoshum
Hello,

I tried a couple of searches but didn't hit my question...

Our Freightliner Chassis has a Cummins 5.9 Turbo. Owner's Manual says 15,000 miles or 1 year on the oil. Last year we put on about 4,000 miles of interstate-type travel. It's been a year. We will probably put on another 4,000 miles this year, or less? 95% of the time it just sits in one place.

Can I run the oil another year? Rotella 15W40. AT.

thanks!

You need to find a good local independent shop the local truck owner/operators use. Your getting ripped off.

I pay $200 for an oil change to. That includes 40 Qt of Rotella, 2 Donaldson Oil Filters, full chassis lube with high quality grease (and a tractor takes a lot), 2 Donaldson Fuel Filters, checking 10 air brake slack adjusters, checking pressure in 10 tires, and checking coolant for freeze point and SCA.

Im thinking an ISB with less tires, no air brakes, less grease and lots less oil should run maybe $100.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Since you're getting the engine hot and working on the long trips you could go 2 years/10K on a quality HDEO. The Cummins B is a fairly easy engine on oil, although if it's a common rail I personally like to keep an eye on the oil level to ensure against leaking injectors. An oil analysis after the 2 years to see how the oil did would be a good investment, too.

If its like the big engines and you are talking about the injector cups you usually see diesel in the coolant first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back