0w20 / 0w30 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M1 0w20 & 0w30 oil bottle states something to the effect : " Fine / safe for all vehicles which stipulate 5w20 / 5w30 oil weights" . Is there ever an instance or situation when it is not fine / safe to use a 0w20 / 0w30 oil in place of 5w20 or 5w30 the vehicle manual or oil fill cap recommends ?

I'm not aware of any such instance or situation.

The note on the label is there for people scared to run anything "0w" because they think it flows like water.

I all a car calls for is a SL/SM/SN spec 5-30 I doubt it. I base this on my assumption that the 0-x oils have the same resistance to shear as a 5-x oil, which may or not be a safe one. That would be my only concern.

Other specs, like manufacturer specific specs, may make those oils not suitable for other reasons.

Anything with a '0' as the first # has to be a full synth.
That has some inherent advantages right there.
And with better cold flow, who would not want a 0-X? [except for cost!]]

So sure... the 0-Xs are never a downgrade, and always suitable - they often have advantages in the extreme cold/hot.

Thanks for the replies ...besides M1 0w20 & 0w30 which I believe are sold at Walmart , does Penzoil have a readily available 0w20 & 0w30 ? If so , how does it stack up against M1 (i.e. availability , price , performance) ?

Any other 0w20 or 0w30 oils come to mind you have or would consider using (Valvoline , Castrol , etc.)

I use Mobil 1 0W30 in my 05 Prius. I'd like to use their 0W20 but am not sure if it is approved by Toyota just yet.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 is listed on Pennzoil's website. Not sure how readily available it is.

It has recently become readily available up here in Canada, as both Canadian Tire and Walmart carry it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back