Dodge Dakota Brake Lights Stay on

Status
Not open for further replies.
THe brake lights on my dads 06 Dakota go on every time the key goes in the on position and only turn off with the vehicle. The 3rd light doesnt work and the lights dont get brighter as you push the brake pedal...any ideas?

Have the parking brakes been used lately? Set the parking brake and release it and see if the light goes out.

OK so i tried some troubleshooting and here is what I have...the light come on as soon as the key is in the ON position and only go off when the key is turned off. WHen the key is off the plunger works and so do the brake lights...when pushed I can hear the click from it, as soon as the key goes on the click stops and no brake lights the lights will always stay lit. I pullled several fuses and relays but they always go on...could it be the plunger still or something else?

yes and nothing makes those suckers turn off once the key is turned on No fuses or anything which is weird and complicating figuring out what is supplying the constant power to those lights...any idea welcome

After looking at a wiring diagram it appears as though the integrated power module is keeping the lights on. Thats the fuse and relay panel under the hood also has a module in it that controls the lights. I have seen that happen on other chryslers. Really the only way to determine for sure is to get a wiring diagram and multimeter and start checking. But the brake switch tells the module to turn the lights on. So if you disconnected the switch and the light are still on sounds like the module is bad.

Just an update, it turns out that the issue with it is the third brake light, one of the lights burnt out and there was alot of green corrosion build up which caused it to trip the brake lights when the key went on, Changed out the bulbs and cleaned and greased the sockets and works good now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back