Reno Air Race Tragedy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want to speculate on what happened or whether or not there are safety issues that need addressed,but this could be bad for the sport. Never been to an air race, but would love to go.

Last edited:
This is a true tragedy. I have been to the Reno Air races and its spectacular event to attend. I have been to many air races and often wondered how or if they could make it safer for spectators. This will cause major MUCH NEEDED changes to air racing.

Prayers for the families of the pilot and spectators involved. Just watched a vid of the crash, he pulled out and went way off course. The Galloping Ghost P-51 had been a racer since 1946.

Last edited:
Very sad indeed. Seems like there have been a higher number of airshow crashes and tragedies this year. I really hate to see that, as it's my industry.

Fox news just had some informative coverage on this crash. There is a picture of the aircraft just prior to the crash. The trim tab is hanging off of the elevator. It may have been some form of mechanical failure that caused the crash. The pilot was reported to have issued a mayday.

Also, a pilot at the top of the grandstands reported that the aircraft was heading straight for him and seemed to maneuver to avoid the grandstands.

And then you have other media outlets who immediately start having discussions of pilot age as the cause (since he was 74 years old), absent ANY other facts or questions. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well, today was not a good day at the airport. The family in the hangar right next to me is best friends with the pilot in that crash. Also, the pilot was his son's godfather. They had quite a bit of additional information.

They mentioned the trim tab failure causes an uncontrolled pitch up. Apparently, this happened to Mr. Famous, Bob Hannah. He recovered. Same failure, same pitch up. It seems my friends believe the pilot was GLOC. Probably 10-12G. They mentioned a pic where the pilot was not visible.

That was the first thing I noticed in the picture, you could not see the pilot, which you normally can in a P-51. I did notice the canopy was not stock, so that may be a factor as well as the G's he could have been experiencing. Very sad. I'm surprised the elevator trim tab has that much control authority, but I don't fly other than RC planes.

They cut 5 feet off of each wing:

Quote:
Questions were raised, too, about modifications to the plane made to make the plane more aerodynamic so it would go faster without a bigger engine. In a podcast uploaded to YouTube in June, Leeward said major changes were made to the plane before this year's race. He said his crew cut five feet off each wing and shortened the ailerons — the back edge of the main wings used to control balance — to 32 inches, down from about 60 inches.

msnbc

Here's a shot of the Galloping Ghost right before it's last flight. Notice its right wing and how short it is:

Galloping_Ghost.jpg

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
And then you have other media outlets who immediately start having discussions of pilot age as the cause (since he was 74 years old), absent ANY other facts or questions. :rolleyes:

Say what you want, that's pretty old for a pilot!

My good friend is retired Special Forces and as fit as they get, but he voluntarily stopped flying at 75. He knew it was time.

Sad to see innocent people die, the pilot knew what could happen. This was a thoroughly 'tweaked' plane that was difficult to fly when original.

Age sure could have played a part.
I believe that any singularity could have been dealt with.
But combinations at the same time are likely what happened.

given fatality rates on the highways in this country, I'd much rather get creamed by a P51 at the air races than in a crash with a greasy old kenworth.

sucks that it happened, but going to such an event, everyone is aware of the dangers.

Yeah...age of the pilot wasn't a factor, looks like mechanical failure was...

But. CUjet, when you said that trim failure happened to "Bob Hannah"? I thought he was an MX racer in the 70s and 80s...you mean Bob Hoover?

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Yeah...age of the pilot wasn't a factor, looks like mechanical failure was...

But. CUjet, when you said that trim failure happened to "Bob Hannah"? I thought he was an MX racer in the 70s and 80s...you mean Bob Hoover?

Bob Hannah, the motocross guy.

In 1998, the left trim tab was lost during the Reno Air Races by a modified P-51 Mustang named Voodoo Chile. The 1998 incident did not lead to a crash but pilot "Hurricane" Bob Hannah reported that when the elevator trim tab came off during the race, the airplane pitched up and subjected him to over 10 Gs and a loss of consciousness. When the pilot regained consciousness, the plane had climbed to over 9,000 feet of altitude. In the 1998 incident, the pilot was able to bring the damaged plane in for a safe landing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back