Driveworks oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some bloggers have said that Driveworks oil filters are effective and as good as Purlolator and some other major brands, but I'm not so sure. I pulled one out of my car after experiencing momentary bearing knock several times when I started it after not driving the car for one day. I installed my usual Purolator and the problem disappeared. I suspect that Driveworks filters are cheaply made (which is why they are being given away with motor oil deals at Advance/Discount) and have minimal amounts of filtering material. If your engine's filter is positioned sideways (mine) it may be that that lack allows most of the oil to drain out when the car hasn't been started, creating the same air gap that can accompany initial start-up after a filter change.

I don't think it was ever touted as good or effective as a P1 or even a Classic. It is just a cheaper filter for shorter OCI's. I would (personally) would use an OCOD over a DW. I am sorry, I will probably catch some flack for that one... better hide.

Thank you Bobr349.

I have had start up rattle while using many oil filter brands especially with my '04 Altima 2.5 S

The SuperTech(Wal*Mart)filters were about the worst for that rattle and I was getting that rattle occasionally on my other cars as well, while using the ST.

FRAM did it on some of my cars engines so I stopped using them. Purolator Premium Plus(now Classic)have been the best thus far for not causing this start up rattle and the NAPA Pro Select have been OK as well but NAPA stores are inconviently located for me.

Although I have had the rattle even with the Purolator PureOne Filters on occasion and I just bought 6 P1's the other day @ AAP online w/code #A123. When I get the rebate money from the Puro Metal Wars, I will have paid $1.67 per filter even after Tax/Postage and DISCOVER CARD discount 5%.

So, needless to say, I am good on filters for a while as I already have 6 Classic as well. And I don't think at this time that I want to try the DriveWorks Filters even though they feel nice and heavy/dense and the pic's posted in another thread look great.

I hope this batch of PureOnes are a better example than the ones that I had used in the past(when they were new to the market and a few times afterward). If not for the online price/code #'s & 5%, I would have stayed with the Puro Classic filter as they seem to be the "BEST" IMHO!

Best meaning...Always available at parts stores that I frequent(AAP, PB's), have their knock off brands such as ProLine, I experience less, if any start up rattle, and now that I have a cup style filter remover for 2 of my vehicles that only seem to fit the Purolators, Im staying with'em!

Last edited:
I don't like how when they appeared, Puro classics jumped from $2.79 to $3.99, more or less, to make "room" on the pricing structure for Advance.

After AA dropped the red puro made store brand, they were floundering for a year trying to find a cheap filter. Puro classics filled that role-- okay by me!

I didn't mind the powerflo either; the 20195 size was exactly the same as Pep Boys' proline. I was buying those in-store a few at a time to meet the $10 off 25 coupons... paying $1.30 per each or so. No unusual noises horizontally mounted on my saturns, and it's oversized for that app.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I don't like how when they appeared, Puro classics jumped from $2.79 to $3.99, more or less, to make "room" on the pricing structure for Advance.

After AA dropped the red puro made store brand, they were floundering for a year trying to find a cheap filter. Puro classics filled that role-- okay by me!

I didn't mind the powerflo either; the 20195 size was exactly the same as Pep Boys' proline. I was buying those in-store a few at a time to meet the $10 off 25 coupons... paying $1.30 per each or so. No unusual noises horizontally mounted on my saturns, and it's oversized for that app.
my advanced won't even entertain selling me the powerflows say they are for commercial accounts?, luckily my pep boys will still sell me the prolines for 2.99. i will not by a driveworks filter at advance!

CharBaby,

Never had bearing knock before (except after 1st start-up following a filter change) until using the DriveWorks even though I pre-loaded it with fresh oil before installation. Problem with Honda A20A1 engines is that the oil filter is mounted sideways and you can't fill it much. The filter only had 200 miles on it when I replaced it after I heard bearing knock twice. I immediately suspected the filter. On both occasions, the car had sat unused for one day. In 22 years, (car is an '89 LX in original, primo condition with 128K). never had the problem before using any other filter and I wasn't taking any chances. Went back to a standard Purolator and haven't had the problem since, so I am assuming it was the filter. I sympathize with the problems you have had with various filters on your car.

Bobr, You'll learn that I'm a bit long winded when I speak or reply to a post.

I experienced this start up rattle(mildly) with my '88 Accord LX; toward the end of the Accords life with me when using Super Tech filters and FRAM's and once in a while even with a Purolator PremPlus(a.k.a Classic) or PureOne(silicone ADBV). Most of the '88 Accord's life, I used FRAM filters w/o issues...I sold the '88 Accord in '06 w/ 340,000 miles on it. The high miles could have had something to do with the start up rattle.

I Love that car; it took us everywhere during the growing up years of our daughter and on all family vacations, travel sports and school events. We went everywhere and the car never failed us. The most ammazing car I have ever owned to date although a bit quirkey.

We drove every year(for a month) to Tampa/St.Pete's(NewPortRichey)where we had a FL house from '88-'06. Toward the end, the Accord was my daughters car where she used it during her last years of H.S. and I finaly sold it during her sophmore year @ Arizona(ASU).

My '04 Nissan Altima 2.5(purchaced new) has start up rattle and has since new, the worst I have ever had in any vehicle. But, the engine starts so fast when turning the key that, this is part of the problem. You just look at the key, and she starts. Also, the oil filter is mounted sideways on the passenger side of the car by the wheel. If the car is parked, where it leans down more on the driver side, possibly allowing the oil to flow out of the filter, the engine will get start up rattle after the car has set for a while(over night) or even for several hours. And it will rattle like this when using any filter including filters with silicone anti-drain back valves(ADBV). So, I usually park on level ground or leaning more on the passenger side a bit.

My Altima also does not like over sized oil filters as they make the rattle worst, last a bit longer apon start up and more frequently even when setting for a short time. I had tried Oversizing for awhile using the Puro # 14459(same as the Accord). I used to use in my Accord the LARGE but discontinued Puro # 24458 and since I still had a small stash of the #24458's, I used them in the Altima(that was bad). So needless to say, I stay with the Puro Classic # 14610(required) and this "Hands Down" works the best. Now, even "IF" I do get any start up rattle, it's mild and quick! Like a quick "BLIP"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back