Interesting phone call with Renewable Lube's VP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got off the phone with Bill @ RLI (he's the VP) with some questions about their oils in VW 502/505-spec'd vehicles. I explained that the 502/505 list is heavy 30s and light 40s, ACEA A3/B4 meaning HTHS of 3.5 or better. My specific questions were how about how suitable he thought the 0w30, 5w30, and 5w40 was for this sort of application.

Bill said that they've recently reformulated the PCMOs with new and better polymers. He also explained how the additive packages were revised to meet API SN and ILSAC GF-5; this was done since auto manufacturers are starting to become more strict on oil formulations.

In particular, he told me that the 0w30 and 5w30 PCMOs offer HTHS of 3.6-3.7, and the 5w40 has HTHS of 4.3-4.5. There is a bit of variance here because their polymer suppliers also supply them with a range (Lubrizol was one company he mentioned).

The 0w30 relies on PAO for the low-temp performance, and the 5w40 relies on it for the wider viscosity spread. Bill actually told me that the Brookfield values for the 5w40 put it on-par with most 0w40s.

He made an interesting point about the HDEO 15w40 really being closer to a 5w40. They market it as a 15w40 because that's what the diesel manufacturers want, but again, the Brookfield values point to it being close to 5w40. Basically the 15w40 is like a 5w40, but has the shear stability of a 15w40.

I was really impressed with his candor and openness. He wasn't hiding anything and answered anything I threw his way. For my car, he said the 5w40 is the best choice if I'm out on the track (and because I have a very complex valvetrain). But he did say the 5w30 would definitely suffice too.

tl;dr: the 0w30 and 5w30 RLI PCMO has HTHS of 3.6-3.7.

Good on them!
thumbsup2.gif

Was that Bill Garmier you were chatting with? If so I thought he was the Prez?

Good info' although we learned previously that the 0W-30 had a HTHS vis in the 3.6cP-3.7cP area.
Their HTHS values appear to be more on par with other ester based oils like RL and Motul 300V.

I've heard from a good source that their SN 0W-20 has a HTHS vis of 3.3cP, which is great if you want a mid-grade 30wt oil, not so good if you want a true 2.6cP-2.7cP 20wt.

I've long suspected that most conventional 15W-40's are actually closer to being 10W-40 with how good they perform in cold-weather apps. Not suprising that most full-syn 15W-40's are really closer to 5W-40's, and the 5W-40's are closer to 0W-40's.

Interesting stuff about the HT/HS of these oils - it really does make them a lot closer to Redline and Motul oils that I thought. In my head, I saw RLI oils as 'Redline light'....

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Was that Bill Garmier you were chatting with? If so I thought he was the Prez?

Good info' although we learned previously that the 0W-30 had a HTHS vis in the 3.6cP-3.7cP area.
Their HTHS values appear to be more on par with other ester based oils like RL and Motul 300V.

I've heard from a good source that their SN 0W-20 has a HTHS vis of 3.3cP, which is great if you want a mid-grade 30wt oil, not so good if you want a true 2.6cP-2.7cP 20wt.

Really? All we knew was they were "around 3.5".

I never heard that.
Even at 3.3cP, that's still a record high value for a KV100 8.6cSt oil. A HTHS of 3.5cP would be even more outrageous for a so-called 20wt oil and I don't think that's the case.
The old SM 0W-20 had a HTHS vis of 2.95cP apparently.

The thing about RLI is we don't know precisely what their viscosites are and I do know they vary from batch to batch.
They are after all the smallest formulator by far that we talk about on BITOG.

Anyone contemplating using RLI and is planning on having a UOA done to also do a VOA of the same oil as a benchmark from which to compare.

Originally Posted By: dparm
............and the 5w40 has HTHS of 4.3-4.5...........

Is this less or more than the HTHS for Rotella T6?

Originally Posted By: dparm
Bill said that they've recently reformulated the PCMOs with new and better polymers. He also explained how the additive packages were revised to meet API SN and ILSAC GF-5; this was done since auto manufacturers are starting to become more strict on oil formulations.

I don't see how the RLI oils can have HTHS values anywhere near those listed in the OP, and meet the requirements of ILSAC GF-5. Maybe I'm missing something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back