Mazda 3 Reflashing the ECU to Fix a Jerky Tranny?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I own a 2005 Mazda 3s (with he 2.3L;,4 speed automatic transmission)
Anyways, I really enjoy mashing the gas pedal to pass cars or accelerating hard on green lights.
19.gif
But now im afraid I might harm the transmission, b/c ive heard Mazda 3 transmissions are weak.

Well the reason why Im asking you this, my transmission shifts kinda hard from 1st gear into 2nd gear, either cold or hot.
But what is weird, It shifts smooth from 1st to 2nd if the RPM's are high. Just jerks when its accelerated normally.
Im worried that the transmission is starting to go? Though I found this online and it seems to be a common problem..and it can be fixed by reflashing the PCM..

http://www.finishlineperformance.com/pdf/mazda3/bulletin/05-010-05-1543.pdf

Mine is a 2005, so its out of warranty. Do you think it would be it worth the $$ to get this performed?

Last edited:
I work in the service department for a Mazda dealer and I can tell you that we have indeed performed this TCM/PCM reflash with good success. As long as you have maintained your tranny fluid (flushing about every 30-40K) you should be ok. Your dealer should not charge you more than 1 labor hour to perform this reflash--If I remember correctly it changes the shift points and recallibrates the PCM/TCM concerning transmission data...Let us know what you decide to do..

It says .4 hours at the bottom of the TSB so I wouldn't pay more than .4 hours worth of labor.

Does it have the Ford 4F27E transmission? I'm not sure what years of Mazda 3 it was used in. My mother's Focus has that transmission and I just disconnect the battery to reset the transmission computer. While that may not be an option for you, I can tell you that it does improve the shifting. I also reset it every time I replace the fluid or else it shifts weird.

Originally Posted By: cmf
It says .4 hours at the bottom of the TSB so I wouldn't pay more than .4 hours worth of labor.

Does it have the Ford 4F27E transmission? I'm not sure what years of Mazda 3 it was used in. My mother's Focus has that transmission and I just disconnect the battery to reset the transmission computer. While that may not be an option for you, I can tell you that it does improve the shifting. I also reset it every time I replace the fluid or else it shifts weird.

Yes according to wikipedia it does have the Ford 4F27E. I'll have to try that before I spend any money. Thank you for the feedback

Last edited:
Keep in mind that is warranty labor?? Not that the reflash is hard..by the way when they reflash the computer it gives all the updates available in addition to the tranny reflash..

I guess I dont know what you mean by warranty labor? Are you saying this could be an expensive job?

Firm, quick shifts are easier on the trans. Depending on the programming you can get this under light or heavy load or both, but the trans will compensate with line pressure to protect itself under harder accelleration. It's just a question of does it under- or overdo it? Line pressure is one thing that's adjustable by computer control, so a flash can help it.

I would change your fluid first, the friction modifiers are likely worn.

The new cars have engine torque management to protect the trans, I know I have obviously felt it in a taurus. Cuts power while the trans is shifting. You can do this too, by letting off the gas near redline to let it shift then stomping down again.

Well I did change the fluid..To Redline d4 actually, ive heard that it helps out alot on cold weather shift-ability.

Dan55 - It might be the Jatco tranny? They just said the Ford 4F27E was used on some mazda 3's but didn't list which ones..I guess that they did. Your probably right tho.

Since you did get it done Dan and it will probably cost me about 100$ You think it will be worth it? Speaking overall longevity on the tranny.

Originally Posted By: Dan55
Have you replaced the passenger side Motor Mount yet?

No i haven't. I recently bought the car, he has the paperwork of previous service done and he did get a new motor mount, but I believe its not the passenger side

Last edited:
Warranty labor is about 1/3 of customer pay labor. Mazda really gives their techs the shaft on warranty labor. Even Ford pays for diag, Mazda expects the tech to pull an answer for free, we have thought of making a Mazda diagnostic Magic 8 ball.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Warranty labor is about 1/3 of customer pay labor. Mazda really gives their techs the shaft on warranty labor. Even Ford pays for diag, Mazda expects the tech to pull an answer for free, we have thought of making a Mazda diagnostic Magic 8 ball.

+1

1 hr labor is probably about right, though labor rates range from $125-$145/hr here for mainstream brands.

Originally Posted By: ERAC94
I work in the service department for a Mazda dealer and I can tell you that we have indeed performed this TCM/PCM reflash with good success. As long as you have maintained your tranny fluid (flushing about every 30-40K) you should be ok. Your dealer should not charge you more than 1 labor hour to perform this reflash--If I remember correctly it changes the shift points and recallibrates the PCM/TCM concerning transmission data...Let us know what you decide to do..

Solid gold. You owe this man beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back