PP 5W-20, 4718 mi, 2007 Toyota 4Runner 1GR-FE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the used oil analysis on my '07 1GR-FE 4WD. First sample was standard Mobil 1 5W-30 that the previous owner had been using for every change since the truck was new. I went ahead and wanted to see how a 5W-20 from a similar class of oil would perform so when I did my first oil change I switched to Pennzoil Platinum and from the Toyota OEM filter to an upsized Purolator Pureone.

This truck is my wifes daily driver for toting kids around so it usualy sees a cold start followed by 1-5 miles of small city driving followed by sitting for an hour or two and then repeat maybe and average of 4 times per day. I use it for toting a small trailer (less than 1000 lb) about twice per month going to the dump and for other misc. chores around town that require a trailer. I also do some moderate off-road driving and took it on two camping trips to the high Sierra Nevada with a cargo carrier on top and on back and spent good bits of time in 4LO on various trails throughout the forest. I would say that this truck sees moderate usage overall and think that Blackstone took my comments about the towing and off-roading a little more seriously in their comments than I do.

I was a little nervous about the 5W-20 vs. 5W-30, thinking that Toyota may have issued the TSB with the interest of fuel economy over longevity. Looks like I can forget about that being an issue as this run was definitely harder than the previous run and the results are a little better. This oil continues to be in service and I plan on changing it somewhere around 6-7k without sampling. I will probably go to ~6500 miles on the next change before sampling as I gradually feel out how long I should be going between changes.

Here's a link to the thread with my previous run:

Previous UOA Thread

Here's the latest results:

4RunnerUOAAUG2011.jpg

I just can't believe this oil, I don't know if I have seen a bad UOA on it (barring mechanical problems w/engine). This is a great product!

Thanks for the post!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back