New Mercedes ATF Service Interval- 4 years or 40k!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: The Critic
In connection with my thread in the engine oil section, it seems like Mercedes is reducing the service intervals for their cars. From the 2009 maintenance manual, I noticed that Mercedes now requires a transmission fluid and filter change every 4 years or 40,000 miles, whichever comes first on all of their vehicles.

I guess the new 722.9 7-speed automatics need more frequent maintenance than its predecessors. The constant shifting must be putting some serious stress on the fluid.
shocked.gif

Instead of going forward towards fill-for-life fluids, it seems like Mercedes is going backwards! Are we reaching a point where transmission fluid durability is unable to meet the demands of these highly sophisticated transmissions?

Sorry to dig this up, but I didn't want to start another thread on this. In addition to extending the life of the trans, this is also a huge revenue generator for MB service depts. On our C300, this trans service costs $600 and supposedly indy shops don't have the right equipment to do this properly, so you're stuck with dealer service. I guess MB thinks they can get away with it... something along the lines of, "Hey, if you can afford a new MB, what's another $600 every couple of years or so? You'll get free coffee out of this, so it's all good."

Interestingly enough, the maintenance manual of our 2008 C300 only shows a single ATF change required at 39K miles and nothing after that, which is a bit odd. In 2009 they started with this "every 40K miles" schedule as The Critic pointed out.

My local MB dealer charges $418:

http://www.montereymercedes.com/specials/service.htm

Still, $600 is cheaper than a new transmission if an independent screws it up.

Quote:
Are we reaching a point where transmission fluid durability is unable to meet the demands of these highly sophisticated transmissions?
Already happened (failed) on much less sophisticated Honda auto transmissions like mine. Z1 exclusively 10K drain and fill. 70K fail.

Mercedes current recommendation is 39k miles than never again.

After that its probably really only needed every 100k miles. My friend has 240k miles on his 722.6 now and the fluid was only changed once at around 150k miles. He tows a lot and its doing just fine.

You figure the average life expectancy of a Mercedes transmission is 250k-350k miles, so every 80k-100k is about right.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Mercedes current recommendation is 39k miles than never again.

Nope. That's what it used to be sometime around 2008-2009. Current recommendation is every 40K miles, at least for the 722.9 7-speed trans discussed in this thread.

The lack of dipsticks on newer cars makes me want to tear my hair out. I changed the fluid out in my GTO last weekend and I pumped the system while adding fresh and did a full flush using the transmission's pump. I measured what came out so that I made sure I added exactly what I took out. Apparently I spilled more on the ground because after I got it to temperature I ended up having to add 3/4 of a quart to get the dipstick to the full level. I wouldn't have known I was a bit low without the dipstick. I was in a new Camaro SS and happened to flip through the manual and it said the fluid level should never drop unless there was a leak so that there was no need for a dipstick. How stupid is that? Car companies really seem to hate us guys that like to turn a wrench.

I sure hope the fluid was at the prescribed temp.

My car was manufactured in July 05 and came with a sealed dipstick tube on the trans. The fluid fill is extraordinarily critical on these Merc-designed 5 speeds, so they simply don't want the average driveway mechanic messing with it. There is a chart of fluid temps to be read by a scan tool and then a corresponding fluid level spec'd in mm!

Now in a 4L65E it's not likely as fussy, but these ain't old turbo 400's anymore!

Don't worry, I know how to check the level on the transmission. I typically do my level checks when I'm using my car for work once a month where I'm on the road and the car is fully warmed up. Takes some of the guesswork out about operating temperature with not having a factory trans temp gauge. It just drives me nuts that car companies would rather treat us as stupid on something as simple as regular maintenance. With all this infinitely nuts flappy paddled autos that are coming out with the insane amount of electronic control I'll be back to a good old row your own next time. I wish I had the manual in the Goat, but I went with the auto for the insane amount of traffic I used to sit in before I moved to Vegas.

The newest ATF for MB 7-speed transmission part# 001 989 68 03 10 is the same as Mobil ATF-134 and Shell ATF-134 as stated in MB sheet 236.14,
http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/236.14_en.html

Mobil ATF-134 is nowhere to be found, Shell ATF-134 is not available at local stores, but can be purchased at a local Shell Distributor for much less than at MB dealers. I'm contacting my local Shell Distributor by email asking if they have it in stock and the price.

A person posted this on mbworld.org last May:
"For those that are interested in saving a few bucks I just ordered from a Shell distributor a couple of cases of Shell ATF 134 (MB Sheet 236.14 Approval) transmission fluid for $20.31 for a case of 12 quarts. This is the Mercedes Benz fluid approved for all 722.6 5 speed and 722.9 7 speed transmissions. Quite a bit of difference from the $12 a liter plus price for MB Fluid and Fuchs Titan 4134 that I have been using.

I just Googled Shell Distributors and found one within 20 miles, gave them a call and ordered over the phone
."

That is a huge price difference indeed. The MB 236.14 fluid (made by Febi) goes for $17-$18/liter online. And the car takes 10.5 quarts of it (about 10 liters).

Just received email from the local Shell Distributor in Orange, CA. The price is $16.50 a gallon (or $4.15 a quart) and they have a case of 4 gallons. The total for 3 gallons plus tax should be around $50-55. I'm thinking about buying 3 cases to do the fluid exchange for my E430, it was last changed about 50k miles/5 years ago.

I don't know how did that person get $20.31 for a case of 12 quarts from a Shell Distributor, $1.70/qt is too good to be true.
Nobody sells any type of ATF for less than $2/qt, even Supertech ATF is more than $2/qt.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
In any case, I'll probably let the dealer do it - some will do it for $300. The fluid itself will be around $150. I want to have properly documented record of getting it done by a certified tech since the car has the extended 100K mile warranty. If there is anything on this car that will require warranty work in the future, it'll be either the trans or the electronics.

Another big MB service disappointment... Had the trans service done a couple of months ago. Then I came across a thread on mbforums just now and realized that most dealers don't drain the fluid from the torque converter area as part of this service. So I looked again at my invoice - sure enough, they only listed 5 liters of trans fluid, whereas the full drain takes close to 10. Needless to say, they did not drain the torque converter. And there have already been a few reports of early TC failures out there in these cars... wonder why, when dealers do such a half-@ss job. Truly pathetic, IMO.

Apparently MBUSA updated the job instructions over a year ago to now include the torque converter drain, but most dealers still "didn't get the memo".

My Merc dealer experiences have been nearly the worst of my entire 40 years of driving. 3 different ones in the greater Bay area and none could perform simple service work without some sort of shortcoming.

It's sad because when I had my lexus the dealer treated us like royalty even though it was used.

Bought 3 gallons Shell ATF-134 for $16.50 a gallon from a Shell Distributor in Orange. Done a quick siphon with Mityvac, 3.2 quarts out of 9.9 quarts capacity came out. The fluid came out was a little darker than when it was new, but no abnormal smelling, the old fluid was in service for about 4 years and 50k miles.

Used the measuring tool to check the ATF level, it was near the max line of the normal operating temp, after the car was driven for 20+ miles.

Will use the Mityvac to do another extraction and refill next week and 2 more later. Changing ATF with a fluid extractor is so easy, quick and no mess, not a single drop of ATF on the engine or on garage floor.

Love my Mityvac, so useful in changing oil, ATF and bleeding the brake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back