New 29er

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Finally got one. Got the Scott Scale 29er.

It just felt right which is a big deal. Took it out right away and is just great. Fast, handles well (which was why I was drawn to the Scott vs other more $$$ bikes). This one isnt as well specced as I'd had liked, would have rather had xt all around and a reba or fox fork... But I'm loving the feel of the coil spring fork, and so long as parts are working well, no need to replace.

Feels about the same as my old bike which was made with Easton ultralight AL tubing weight-wise. Need to put on a scale to be sure. Think my old one was 7005 where this one is hydrofirmed 6061 Al-based.

Just some iPhone pics...

471cbdb7.jpg

d0d62dbe.jpg

2fcebcab.jpg

04b002d0.jpg

144df423.jpg

807a2333.jpg

841b7e88.jpg

7752771a.jpg

Nice Scott... Don't get down on yourself about the components. Bike's nice. MAYBE sell that fork on Ebay and get an Air fork like a Reba and depending on how big/heavy you are, step the front rotor up to 185mm. I'm 6'4" and 250 pounds. I have a 203 up front and a 185 on the rear. I brake with one finger.
To everyone else who wants a 29er... 2012 looks to be a great year for 29er hardtails. Plenty of models coming in under 1000 dollars.

Mine already has 185mm front rotor.

I've heard lots of good about coil shocks, and have been real happy with the performance and low maintenance. I'm about 250 and have no issue with sag or bottoming out.

Nice bike.
thumbsup2.gif

Dumb questions... The lever and cable is going to the front fork. Says lockout so you can lock the front fork?

What would be the reason that you can do that? (if that is what it means)

Interesting to see no rear suspension. Love the workmanship on the bike and brakes.

Enjoy!

Bill

Looks good man.
I might be in the market next year for a 29er hardtail just for XC at my local trails. I'm dividing my stable up a bit instead of having a do-it-all bike.
Need a good review soon. I've never off roaded with 29's, but Id like to try it.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Nice bike.
thumbsup2.gif

Dumb questions... The lever and cable is going to the front fork. Says lockout so you can lock the front fork?

What would be the reason that you can do that? (if that is what it means)

Interesting to see no rear suspension. Love the workmanship on the bike and brakes.

Enjoy!

Bill

Full suspension bikes are more complex, more finnicky (need a lot more maintenance on the pivot points, etc.), flex under the rider as you are riding (harder to get full power down; unless you pay $3k for a real good one), and pricier overall. While Im sure some make use of it, I dont have the need.

The lockout on the front Ive found is good for hard roads where a suspension is not necessary for a good ride or going over large obstacles. Lockout reduces flex maximizing efficiency. It woul dbe even better if it was variable, but it is all on or off.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Full suspension bikes are more complex, more finnicky (need a lot more maintenance on the pivot points, etc.), flex under the rider as you are riding (harder to get full power down; unless you pay $3k for a real good one), and pricier overall. While Im sure some make use of it, I dont have the need.

The lockout on the front Ive found is good for hard roads where a suspension is not necessary for a good ride or going over large obstacles. Lockout reduces flex maximizing efficiency. It woul dbe even better if it was variable, but it is all on or off.

I've found that full suspension bikes that I tried that they do flex and seem to take more effort to get down the road.

Never seen the lockout but it does make sense.

Thanks for the answers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back