Rotella cured my Honda 400X

So, my 2012 Honda 400X came with what I am 99% sure was a 10w30 factory fill of horse wizz. I ran it for 2.5 semi-hard hours before the gearbox began to "ker-chunk" up and down the gears. So, I picked up some Valvoline ATV 10w40 to maintain my (factory) warranty for cheap. Well, it made a big difference and I thought I had a keeper. However, after about 3 hours, it was horse wizz too. I was having difficulty getting neutral and reverse.

Wanting to protect my air cooled blast furnace of an engine, I put Rotella 15w40 in it and the gears are smooth as butter. Now I can get neutral with ease and reverse is a cinch to engage.

The 2012 400X strongly recommends 10w30 but allows 10w40 in "hot" weather. However, the previous model year allowed up to a 20w50. The internet theory is that Honda now recommends a 10w30 to keep "Kalifornya" happy.

My plan is Rotella 15w40 during the warmer months and Rotella 10w30 during the colder months. I know, Rotella 10w30 is not JASO MA rated. Screw it, if it breaks, I will build a 416 motor. Warranty be danged!

Quote:
However, the previous model year allowed up to a 20w50. The internet theory is that Honda now recommends a 10w30 to keep "Kalifornya" happy.

If its exactly the same engine there maybe some truth to that.

I would never run 10W30 in that engine. I have an '01 400EX with a slight bore and mods and run Castrol Syntec 20w50.

Smooth running / shifting no matter how hot. I think your Rotella 15W40 is a good choice though. I run Mobil 15w50 in my wife's Rancher.

I used to trust what was recomended in owners manuals. Since CAFE came along and 5-20 oil started to be recomended in the US while the companies would recomend much thicker oil for the same engines in other contries I stopped believing that the companies had the best thing for the engines in mind anymore. The manuals now are often writen for politcal reasons. Like recomending 5-20 for a tad better fuel milage or saying not to change the ATF at all. Yes I know that your engine will not blow up using thinner CAFE oil. But as a BITOG member I want to choose the oil I think is best for my engine not what the goverment thinks is best for their own reasons.

Rotella 15W40 and Rotella 10W30 are both very durable oils more than capable of handling the demands of your engine. I use both in numerous machines from motorcycles/atvs to diesel generator engines. Never had an oil related issue. You've chosen very good oil. Carry on.

I have a 07 Rubicon with the Hondamatic tranny and Honda specs 10W-30 oil for this machine but I use Rotella 5W-40 synthetic and it runs and shifts just fine.
I use the Rotella in my son's 09 Recon and my Wife's 04 Yamaha Bruin 350....even in my Yamaha 650 motorcycle.

is rotella safe for wet clutches found in your 400x?
motorcycles and ATVs using wet clutches need a specific oil so it does not harm the clutch

Yes, Rotella Triple Protection 15w40 and Rotella T6 5w40 are both JASO MA rated.

I recommend them both. They are low cost alternatives to OEM oils and boutique oils.

Originally Posted By: MrRPM

motorcycles and ATVs using wet clutches need a specific oil so it does not harm the clutch

The thing that "harms" clutches is moly and I do not know if BITOG has established how much is too much for a clutch. It seems that some ATV or motorcycle specific oils have anywhere from 75 ppm to 100 ppm (or more) and some have zero.

hmmm, well that is good to know.
I usually get Honda's GN4 for free from my fathers work and sometimes yamalube but if I ever come short and dont have enough for all the machines (6 ATVs, plus lawn mower and generator since i run gn4 is those too lol) ill use some t6 i normally have around from my jeep wrangler.

do you know if Mobil 1 Turbo diesel truck oil fits the same specs as t6 for atv usage?

Id use the GN4 before the Yamalube.. lots of articles and testing have shown its not as stout as others.. Im not saying dont use it.. but if theres a better alternative...

Im also a little bias against Gn4, lost a motor once with it in the sump.. spun bearings...

Last edited:
MoS2 (the type of Moly that causes clutch slip) is not currently used by any major US Blender in Motor Oil to the best of my knowledge.

MoTDC does not cause clutch slip and is the Moly used currently.

Rotella T6 contains MoTDC but as stated thats a non-issue.

I use AMSOIL 0W-40 in my 1996 Honda Rincon since the day I brought it home, drove it around for about an hour, changed the oil to AMSOIL and in 3,000 miles it has never skipped a beat, shifts perfectly and the oil is changed once a year, average about 400-500 during summer and park in the winter (Nov to May). Been a great ATV, never spent a dime on repairs. Just put gas in it and go anywhere. Friend bought a Rolaris Ranger about the same time, has 1/2 miles I have and has spent thousands of $$ in repairs, parts just breaking from normal use.

thats Honda Vs. Polaris for you. Polaris is junk
sure they can be a good machine but in comparison to honda for reliability they are junk. even compared to the other Japanese companies im never a fan of polaris. when their machines are working they can be great machines...but its gonna break.

But i do gotta say some people have luck with polaris but in my experience i would never own one.

Originally Posted By: MrRPM
thats Honda Vs. Polaris for you. Polaris is junk
sure they can be a good machine but in comparison to honda for reliability they are junk. even compared to the other Japanese companies im never a fan of polaris. when their machines are working they can be great machines...but its gonna break.

But i do gotta say some people have luck with polaris but in my experience i would never own one.

Ive got a Ranger, and yes ive experienced some breakage, luckily ive got a warranty. When the warranty is up, i may trade up for a newer model.. the Ranger is a VERY capable machine and im amazed at what it can do.. as far as UTV'S are concerned the Polaris is still on top of the list for do-it-all fun and function. but im with you on the four-wheeler(ATV) front, id take a Honda four-wheeler over all others any day.

Last edited:
Any Japanese powered ATV over domestic products. Even Suzuki powered Arctic Cat machines are very good machines. However, I wouldn't buy one with their "home built" engine. They had a good thing going with Suzuki but didn't want to remain in partnership with them. So, they've drastically reduced the number of machines with Suzuki engines and began replacing them with their in plant engines. As a result, we just don't get as good a machine from AC as we used to.

I use 5w40 rotella in my Rincon and never noticed a differnce from the factor fill. There is a clunk when you put it in neutral, but that's it. I might try the T6 next time.

I used Rotella 5W-40 Synthetic in both my Honda Rubicon and 400EX for 6 years...it meets the JASO MA rating, and I never had any problems. If I still had them both I would be using Rotella still...sold them and bought a 2012 Polaris Ranger XP 800 LE with EPS and I will consider Rotella for it also. Rotella 5W-40 is a great oil in my opinion!

Back