Ridiculous bike shop experience!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The better half and I were at the bike shop where we bought our first two (modern) bikes (Marin Larkspurs), picking up some odds and ends and looking at bikes again. We realized that the Larkspurs didn't quite suite our riding needs and went looking for something better. We struck up a conversation with the owner who has been in/around the industry since the 70's? Maybe the 60's? To say that he is an encyclopedia of cycling knowledge is selling him short. He wanted to know my type of riding (commuting, exercise and pleasure on trail and road surfaces) and suggested THIS BIKE. The conversation turned to the better half and for her, he thought THIS BIKE might work for her. He also said that he'd assemble a Cannodale Synapse of some sort to let her try as well.

Now mind you, this is on a Saturday, later in the afternoon and it's raining. No time to ride in the parking lot as you usually would. So, he says "Just take them". We said "But you're closed tomorrow? Right?"... "Yup. And Monday..." "Just bring them back Tuesday and let me know what you think." I (we) were floored! Almost two thousand dollars worth of bikes loaned for the weekend on good faith! WOW! IDK? Maybe it's common?

Anyway, we rode them and were pretty happy with them. We'll go back tomorrow night and follow up on them and the better half will get to try the Cannondale. Who knows? Maybe I'll get the Schwinn? I was looking at a Raleigh Revenio 2.0, but Ron the owner thought the steel framed Schwinn would be much smoother on the long run.

However I decide to go, I'll stay with this shop for sure!

Good stuff. Sounds like a good business, there is a reason he has stayed in business that long...

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Anyone ever had that level of service on the internet? Those excellent shops close when we want to save a few bucks...

I was thinking that exact same thing.

Local shoe shop is definitely more pricy than the internet but its nice to support local AND GET GREAT SERVICE.

Yes, I do plan to stay with them as long as I can. It's a shame what the net has done to some businesses. I too am guilty of buying from the net, but try to keep it local if I can and especially since I'm a noob, brick and mortar places are invaluable.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Probably would be good to post the shop's name IMHO, to benefit others
POST THE NAME, do the shop a favor! maybe he does mailorder

The shop is Skunk River Cycles. The owner's name is Ron and another really good guy to deal with is Wade. The other kids that work there aren't quite as knowledgeable or willing/able to explain their answers, but still nice enough fellows. They're all into cycling in one form or another. Wade races cyclocross and another kid does some other racing...

I certainly didn't expect to be offered this and don't figure that everyone gets these offers, but I think that they'll do what they can to help you make your decision and have a good experience.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Anyone ever had that level of service on the internet? Those excellent shops close when we want to save a few bucks...

^^^mpvue has been (CORRECTLY) saying this since he's been on this site!!
thumbsup2.gif

I stay with shops like that for life when you get that kind of customer relations.
Bike shops to me need to be a place where they know you and will give you deals and hook you up. If not, no dice.
Sounds like a great experience, I bet that guy already does good business with the locals.

Well, we went back Thursday night (open late) and the Mrs. rode the Cannondale Synapse Sora... Not bad but that particular frame was a bit small, so the guy (not the owner but still very knowledgeable) got her her on a Raleigh Revenio 2.0 which she liked even more. I re-rode the Schwinn and also tried (for fit) a Cannondale Caad 8 and based on that fit, they'll set me up to try a Synapse Alloy Tiagra for tomorrow (because they didn't have it ready at the time). I tell you, that Schwinn is smooooooth... I almost hope the Cannondale is a bust because the Schwinn, in addition to a nice ride has the Shimano 105 components which has really spoiled me.

Dunno, hope I (we) settle on a bike soon because I'm chomping at the bit to ride!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I stay with shops like that for life when you get that kind of customer relations.
Bike shops to me need to be a place where they know you and will give you deals and hook you up. If not, no dice.
Sounds like a great experience, I bet that guy already does good business with the locals.

I would tend to agree, but I also believe that discounts and deals should be earned by the customer. One bike purchased by a whiny customer shouldn't warrant a discount on future purchases... But I think you probably agree....

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Originally Posted By: SLCraig

I would tend to agree, but I also believe that discounts and deals should be earned by the customer. One bike purchased by a whiny customer shouldn't warrant a discount on future purchases... But I think you probably agree....

Heh, yeah.
I am not a whiny customer. I more or less make it known that if the shop owner scratches my back I will scratch theirs (by bringing and keeping my business there)
I spend a lot on bikes and bike related every year...

Well, we did it... We each pulled the trigger on a new road bike. I got the Schwinn linked in the first post and the better half got a Raleigh Revenio 2.0. The shop gave us a discount on the sale priced bikes and a discount on the accessories we bought. The owner then grabbed us a couple of t-shirts and helped us load the bikes, then bid us farewell with handshake... I'm sold...

There's a definite reason why for small stuff, I'll tend to buy it at a shop locally, rather than ordering every last part online. I've come across a couple of good shops like that, and keeping them around is certainly worthwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back