Brake hoses- time vs. mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are brake hoses items that wear over time or mileage? My Prelude is only 10 years old but the chassis has 256k miles on it. Should I be considering replacing all four brake hoses?

They do get weathered so I would say it is always good to be on the safe side with your brakes Vinu. I would replace, especially where you get temp fluctuations as great as you do in ChiTown.

They deteriorate based on time, not mileage. Although not changing your brake fluid at proper intervals can negatively impact the life of the hoses.

If you plan on keeping the car for another few years, I would just go ahead and replace them. If you plan on getting rid of it in the next 2 years I would inspect them. Look for cracks, bulging, twisting, etc. And then feel them to see if they are soft and squishy, or hard and brittle.

I have heard that brake hoses only last 6 years on average, but that is not true in my experience (it may be true in places with harsher weather than Florida). I would say that around 10 years would be a good point to replace them for someone who plans on keeping the car. They are definitely one of those items that "better safe than sorry" is a valid reason for replacing.

I bet it's both. You get some flexing of the suspension and internal stretching under pressure. Highway miles would be kind.

They're a thing that doesn't go from good to bad overnight. You might like the pedal feel of new parts, and they don't even have to be fancy braided covered.

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
Are brake hoses items that wear over time or mileage? My Prelude is only 10 years old but the chassis has 256k miles on it. Should I be considering replacing all four brake hoses?

Don't bother replacing anything. You will spend money and time for no good reason.

Honda flex-lines are extremely high-quality, and will not fail during your lifetime unless somebody cuts them with a knife. And even if they do begin to fail, they will do so very slowly, giving you LOTS of warning in the form of damp spots at the metal ends.

No worries. Enjoy your Honda and put your money into something else that's more fun and will do more good.

Mileage is more important. They flex when the suspension does, and swell when you put on the brakes.
Lots of movement.
But everyone uses different compounds. Japanese cars seem to always have better rubber stuff.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Mileage is more important. They flex when the suspension does, and swell when you put on the brakes.
Lots of movement.
But everyone uses different compounds. Japanese cars seem to always have better rubber stuff.

The rubber isn't important. Honda brake-hoses derive their strength from the DOUBLE fabric carcass that forms the center of the hose structure.

Failure does NOT come from the middle of the hose, but from the ENDS of the hose.

This is what mine look like aftr 29 years and 170k:

IK3_9870.jpg

IK3_9871.jpg

IK3_9872.jpg

IK3_9873.jpg

Yes that's nice but on my W126 they are $10 each, so why not change them?

If you remove them from the car and bend them you will see all kinds of cracks. In the 2nd picture you can already see bulging.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Yes that's nice but on my W126 they are $10 each, so why not change them?

If you remove them from the car and bend them you will see all kinds of cracks. In the 2nd picture you can already see bulging.

This was after I first got the car. What do you think I did, leave them on to save $20?

My hoses look fine. I'm leaving them alone for now. OEM is $30/F and $25/R, I don't want to go cheapo on these so I'll do them when I can afford to.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Lots of movement.

The rubber isn't important. Honda brake-hoses derive their strength from the DOUBLE fabric carcass that forms the center of the hose structure.

Failure does NOT come from the middle of the hose, but from the ENDS of the hose.

I can see your lack of experience showing.
Brake hoses fail internally often. They can swell or break up inside.
And I can't count the outside failures in the middle of the hose that I've seen.

Hose life varies based on who made the hose, miles, abrasion, and exposure to road salt.

Here in Florida, 15 to 20 years is common for brake hoses.

Same for California. Brake hoses, exhaust system ... lasted a long long time. My 260+k miles 17 years old '94 LS400 has original brake hoses, exhaust system, coolant system ... The only parts of coolant system had been changed was upper radiator hose and some heater hoses and water pump, but I changed coolant every 3 years or so.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Same for California. Brake hoses, exhaust system ... lasted a long long time. My 260+k miles 17 years old '94 LS400 has original brake hoses, exhaust system, coolant system ... The only parts of coolant system had been changed was upper radiator hose and some heater hoses and water pump, but I changed coolant every 3 years or so.
\
I'm surprised that you didn't have the plastic piece of the radiator crack open. That typically happens between 7 and 12 years on Toyota-built cars.

The coolant expansion tank has a small crack on top about 7-8 years ago, I used super glue and had no problem since. Many LS400 had some cracks on the expansion tank, dealer price for that small plastic tank is more than $100, I said screw them and spent $1 for super glue and the problem fixed. The radiator itself is in good condition so far.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The coolant expansion tank has a small crack on top about 7-8 years ago, I used super glue and had no problem since. Many LS400 had some cracks on the expansion tank, dealer price for that small plastic tank is more than $100, I said screw them and spent $1 for super glue and the problem fixed. The radiator itself is in good condition so far.

I once had a Cadillac come in for repairs. The glue held the radiator together for years, too bad the AT cooler inside the radiator eventually failed later, causing a very expensive problem.

That is why if I radiator cracks, I tell people to replace it only, take no chances at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back