Confused about GM oil life monitor and intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I've read, the GM oil life monitor is pretty accurate. However, I have the FSM for the 1998 Buick Park Ave Ultra and it still says oil change intervals of 3 months or 5,000 kms.

However, my mom's oil life indicator by that time still says 65% life.

Which should I go by? Also, if you go by the oil life monitor, do you wait till it gets to 0%? Thanks!

Originally Posted By: FL_Rob
no 5% ...or 10% thats it.....end of story .... anyone one who is snarter than GM engineeres ....can post otherwise.

+1 although i never go that low, i did a one year OCI in my truck and by 6 months it was driving me batty.. think i had 2,800 or 3,400 miles on it at that point.. my monitor has never been below 20% i just cant bring myself to let it go...

My GF's Tahoe doesn't tell you how much life is left or maybe I don't know how to find that info. I reciently noticed that the OLM lets the oil go over 14,000 miles.

She only does short drives.....1-3 miles at the most.

She says that it's let her go that long and longer since it was new. I don't trust it. I don't think it's working correctly.

no 5% ...or 10% thats it.....end of story .... anyone one who is snarter than GM engineeres ....can post otherwise.

+1

I use the OLM as entertainment---I like to change oil in the Tahoe at 5000 miles, but I also keep an eye on what % oil life is left. Over the last 7 years I can tell you it definately takes into account outside air temp, and driving style. She is an extreme short tripper, by 4500 miles it's down to less than 10%. When used at 100% highway, it uses 1% of oil life every 100 miles (=10 000 miles OCI)
I have let it go 128% of oil life once, about 7500 miles, did a UOA and it was A-OK.

I change my oil when the OLM says 50% or 6 months; whichever comes
first. Usually 6 months will come first because I don't drive that much.

Or Fools who believe everything coming from GM.

cutchemist42,

Just use the OLM system for each car you have and don't bother trying to merge them together. Each car has different engines I think so the demands may require different OLMs.

Durango

I usually use my moms OLM on her Denali but never let it get to 0 Usually 20 or below and I change it out...as for the short trips with the Tahoe I would think you would want to change that oil out sooner because the short trips are what hurt the oil more so then Highway driving.

With the exception of one time, I have always waited for the Change Oil light to come on in my Camaro. I read an article on the OLM system a few months ago in Lube & Greases that said the algorithm calculates oil life based on the number of engine revolutions and the oil temperature. Very low or very high oil temperatures decrease life quickly. Normal operating temperature gives the longest life.

It also assumes the use of conventional oil, so if you are using synthetic, you may still have some time when you first see the Change Oil light.

Here's what I don't understand. Everyone says how accurate the GM OLM is (and I agree), but they trash GM oil filters (AC Delco). My OLM will easily be a 10,000 miles by the time the OLM% gets to 5%, but I just change it at 7,500 miles. I asked about the AC Delco oil filters in the oil filter forum and people said not to go passed 5,000 miles with one.

Well, if GM's OLM is so good, and it basically says you can take your OCI out far, and they put delco's on at the factor and use a delco if you have them change your oil, then why would it be unrealistic to think that an AC Delco oil filter couldn't do a 7,500 or 10,000 mile OCI?

Last edited:
OLM all the way here. First got one in 04, that van now has 400k miles plus and works every day.

Say whatever you want, the olm is golden on everything except DI engines.

Both of our cars have OLMs but I never use them. I've nothing agianst them, but I like to go by miles/time. I don't think I have ever seen the light come on in either car before I change the oil and reset it.

Originally Posted By: 4x4chevydude
I usually use my moms OLM on her Denali but never let it get to 0 Usually 20 or below and I change it out...as for the short trips with the Tahoe I would think you would want to change that oil out sooner because the short trips are what hurt the oil more so then Highway driving.
And this is exactly what the OLM does. It is a calculator. It gets input on air temperature, water temperature, how fast and how hard you're driving, probably other factors, and calculates how fast the additives in the oil are being depleted. The OLM reads down to zero with still a safety margin of calculated oil quality remaining. GM put a lot of resources into inventing the OLM. They're on the hook for their engines up to 100,000 miles with the warranty, so they know that the OLM is safe.

Originally Posted By: Malo83
FL_Rob said:

Or Fools who believe everything coming from GM. [/quoteWhoa ..did you cross the line or didn't you see it.

I answered this post and I''ll be dam%%$@#$ed if you call me a liar! Or a Fool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back