Definite guide/reviews on LRR tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Planning on replacing the tires on my wife's 06 Civic Hybrid.

Did the usual google searches and found a couple of reviews of Low Rolling Resistance tires.

Anyone on here used a LRR tire? What has been your experience?

So far I have settled on the Continental ProContact with ecoPlus - 195/65 R15 tire.

Any other recommendations? I've seen some reviews on the Michelin Primacy MXV4, but the cost is almost double compared to other brands, I question the value of buying those vs. other brands that are just as good.

We've got the Michelin Primacy MXV4 on our Saturn and like them. HUGE improvement over the POS Bridgestone Duellers that the vehicle came with.

I have the Continental ContiProContact on my Nissan and have liked them. They're performance thus far has earned them a spot on the short list when it comes time to replace them. If the ProContact EcoPlus is anything like them, they should be a good tire.

In this Tire Rack test, the Michelin Energy Saver A/S showed to, well, save the most energy compared with its peers. It was also a competent performer in the group.

Consumer Reports also tested the Energy Saver A/S, and it and the Continental ProContact with EcoPlus scored exactly the same score (82/100). The Continental edged the Michelin in "Snow Traction" and "Ice Braking" and the Michelin edged the Continental in "Noise".

Both are available in the P195/65R15 size and either would be a great tire for your Civic Hybrid.

I have a set of michelin energy saver a/s on a 2000 ford focus. They ride very smooth and are super quiet. 65k warranty, 9.5/32 tread

I also have a set of Cooper GFE's (Greater Fuel Efficiency) on a Taurus which I really like too and they are cheaper than the Michelins. 60k warranty 10/32 tread

This this is your first posting to BITOG, allow me to talk a bit about LRR tires.

First, Tire Rack designates LRR tires ONLY if the tire manufacturer indicates there is an improvement in RR. The question becomes - compared to what.

Typically tire manufacturers mean "compared to a comparable tire" - which means a tire with similar levels of treadwear and traction.

RR, Traction, and Treadwear are part of a technology triangle. In order to get improvments in one area, you have to sacrifice one or both of the other areas. Tires with the best RR are generally OE (Original Equipment) - meaning they come new on the vehicle from the assembly plant. But these tires typically get wear and/or traction (especially wet traction) complaints.

But the aftermarket doesn't like tires that wear poorly, so most tires - even those labled "LRR" - aren't super-duper low RR. The problem is that some lines of tires - usually those labled "LRR" are also OE tires. In some sizes, the tires may be prone to wear issues. In other sizes, the wear is OK. It all depends on what the vehicle manufacturer's specs were for that tire.

So "wide open eyes". Things are not as clear as they may seem.

You can buy these tires at the local tire shop, but it is hard to identify them without a scorecard.

Thanks for all the input folks!

I'll go with the Continentals.

Good point about the relative "LRR" rating - CapriRacer. I just completed a 2000 KM (~1200 miles) trip and my average fuel economy on the worn OEM Dunlop tires was 45 mpg with 3 adults and 1 kid plus luggage, so that's not bad. If the new tires can achieve that type of mileage with just the driver and one adult on board, I'll be a happy camper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back