DriveWorks Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any opinions on the DriveWorks Oil Filtes from AAP?

I often see the DW filters in the AAP flyers along with a 5qt jug of oil that is on special.

I have opened the box(s) and the DW's seem heavy and well made although that tells nothing about what is inside, this I know!

They seem like a good price for normal everday pricing. I wanted to see if the filters inside the box would fit my cup style oil filter socket/wrench that I have been using for the PuroClassic/Pure1 and the DW do seem to fit nicely without slipping.

Both my wifes Lexus and daughters Mazda take the Puro #10241 oil filter and are both difficult to access without extra work/fuss so, I like using this cup socket/wrench which seems only to best fit the Puro can(or any Puro knockoff). It took me awhile to find the correct filter and cup/socket together, mostly due to the filter/cup being sold out/not in stock. Now that I have it, I don't want to change. I'm glad it was the Puro as I have always liked Puro's.

Without being critical on where they're made(unless this is a determining factor on quality), how are the DW filters doing with members here?

Last edited:
There was a post in the oil filters section of a DW filter cut open , not a bad filter for the price. I believe they are made in china. They look like they are purolator clones made offshore. Should be fine for 3-5K oci

I don't think it's clear that DW is related to either Purolator or Champ. Unlike Puro's leaf spring, DW uses a coil retaining spring.

They really look more like a China made Donaldson filter, without the synthetic media. I've seen no efficiency specs, but they look fairly well constructed.

IMO, folks tend to think they are related to Puro because they are sold at AAP, but I don't see that much similarity. And, the Puro made ProMotive is still sold with the commercial accounts at AAP.

There is a recent thread here showing a new dissected DW, if you run a google search you might be able to find it.

I would worry about the paper media formulation - the MOST critical part of a filter - bet china could screw that up if they dont import it. And you cant tell much about filter paper with the unaided eye.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I would worry about the paper media formulation - the MOST critical part of a filter - bet china could screw that up if they dont import it.

The arrogance and ignorance on these forums is getting old, quick.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I would worry about the paper media formulation - the MOST critical part of a filter - bet china could screw that up if they dont import it. And you cant tell much about filter paper with the unaided eye.

They make what's ordered. You specify junk, they make junk.
You specify quality and monitor to maintain quality, that's what you get.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Are they Purolators? Or Champ?

Well, from what I looked at for my apps, the DW#'s corospond to Puro#'s even if only a part of the number such as...Puro# 10241 = (DW#241) etc. Maybe in other apps, they could be different. And, IDK(I didn't look) who makes the DW's.

Last edited:
In my experience, using the numbering system to identify the maker/manufacturer of a filter is not reliable. As an example, the now discontinued Advance Total Grip used a Fram numbering system but was clearly made by Purolator.

I had forgotten that DW also uses 4 numbers of the 5 number Puro numbering system, perhaps the main reason many think it's a Purolator. Based on it's construction I don't see proof of that.

This is the thread with the dissected DW filter courtesy of kemo.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
In my experience, using the numbering system to identify the maker/manufacturer of a filter is not reliable. As an example, the now discontinued Advance Total Grip used a Fram numbering system but was clearly made by Purolator.

I had forgotten that DW also uses 4 numbers of the 5 number Puro numbering system, perhaps the main reason many think it's a Purolator. Based on it's construction I don't see proof of that.

This is the thread with the dissected DW filter courtesy of kemo.

I don't remember that post from your link but, I did have a reply in the post although, only as a question and not of any informational value.

I didn't see that you had responded in that thread till you just noted it. But, that was well before kemo posted the dissected DW. I just linked it so you could see what they look like inside.
cheers3.gif

Sayjac,
Thank you for that and I did read the remaining replys from other members as well as kemo's pics which looked great. The DW filter(s) have a heavy feel to them and kemo's pictures look similar to other well made filterd IMO!

I think that I'm going to jump on the Puro filter rebate wagon(I like Classic) as I need 6 filters to match the oil in my stash and I trust the Classic filters as they are a tested & proven filter over the years.

I will buy at AAP online OR use the $5 off $25 in store coupon and the Puro Rebate that I have printed. Lots of folks dislike messing around with rebates but, I don't mind.

For those not familier with the Puro Rebate(til Oct 29, 2011)...It's for up to "4 filters" (Classic or PureOne). $1.50 per filter rebate on Classic(total/$6) and $3.00 per filter rebate on PureOne(total/$12).

When all is said and done, the 6 filters will cost me ~$2.67/each. Not great but, not bad either! I may try working out the numbers online @AAP W/DISCOUNT CODE# and see if there is any additional savings by using the DISCOVER CARD 5%.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Look through the deals/promos forums for AAP discount codes up to 40% off. Heavily discussed, and regularly used by memebers for the last year or so.

Originally Posted By: musicmanbass
Look through the deals/promos forums for AAP discount codes up to 40% off. Heavily discussed, and regularly used by memebers for the last year or so.

Oh, I do indeed!
I do know that the online discount codes #'s don't work for oil as most members as myself have claimed that it won't but, the codes do work on filters
smile.gif
I have and will continue to use the AAP online site and the code #'s which offer great savings.

Just got some Wagner TQ brakes F&R for a F-350 PSD and the code which was $40 off $100 and then the Wagner $30 rebate. Total for F&R = $43.

Did the same thing on an Autocraft Gold Battery(800cca/3yr free replcement) for a Mazda3 and got it for $63 out the door(OTD).

Oh yeah, I be lookin'

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back