mos2 technical reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes, red line racing 30 wt is a 5w30.and 5w 30 street oil.there are people who use 50% racing fulid and 50%street oil in there rides.i only use 1 qt of 20 wt racing to my 6 qts to my 5qts of red line 5w20 street oil

Dave also told me yesterday that ALL of their non-deisel street oils have a TBN of 9 (EVEN their OW-xx stuff!), whereas the deisel rated (5W-40, 15W-40) stuff has a TBN of 9.5.

how much mos2 would i add to a 4 quart sump? its a 91 civic hatchback with the 1.6l.

ive been debating what to use. either Motor Oil Saver or mos2. i am having oil consumption issues.

i also picked up some maxlife 10w-30 HM oil.

Originally Posted By: 1_high_bald_guy
how much mos2 would i add to a 4 quart sump? its a 91 civic hatchback with the 1.6l.

ive been debating what to use. either Motor Oil Saver or mos2. i am having oil consumption issues.

I would just run the high miles oil first to see if help your oil lost.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
Originally Posted By: 1_high_bald_guy

I would just run the high miles oil first to see if help your oil lost.

I agree, and MoS2 isn't going to help with consumption in all likelihood. The Motor Oil Saver may help 'some' on top of a HM oil, but yes get on a regimen of HM oil and try to stay with the same brand for at least a year or 3 oil changes, whatever comes first, before making estimates on 'adjusted' consumption rates.

Of course, if you have an oil slick under the car where it parks, it probably won't it go away for good, if at all in the event the leak is a damaged rear main etc.

Jim- In some cases MoS2 can help with consumption as reported here on Bitog. It all depends on what is causing the consumption, if tiny scratches on the cylinder wall is causing the consumption MoS2 "MIGHT" help. Like Restore I believe that MoS2 can fill those imperfections. Now if valve seals are bad or the rings are shot, then thicker oil "MIGHT" help.

Guys, remember when my yota used to drink oil very quick? I used MoS2 during that time, It might improve a little,then I added Oil saver, and it did improve, but not much.
My case was gummed up rings and clogged PVC passages.Thicker oil burned little less, but more smoke, visually.
So trying MoS2, then Oil saver,then thicker oil, then all together is the way to go to find your combo.

Last edited:
^Well, he should definitely take care of cleansing the rings if they are allowing too much blow-by and of course the PCV valve.

I'd get things going and try a piston soak with MMO, and change the oil. Then within a month(less than 1,000 miles) perform a piston soak with Kreen, drive to temp/return and change the oil again.

*Disclaimer, this is assuming the person with the 91 Hatchback knows he doesn't have actual sludge going on, etc. If he could take a stab at cleaning the rings, I'd try that and check out the PCV valve; among other basic maintenance practice, and then make his choice for combo/oil choice to help with consumption and see if things calm down.

Well after reading everything on here, I bought some MOS2 at Napa tonight. They don't normally stock it, so I had them order me 3 cans from their warehouse. Trying it in the Buick first and then the VW 2.slow at its next OCI.

I changed the oil on the Buick on Saturday so it only had about 50mi on the oil and rather than wait till next time I just dumped in the full bottle and "washed it down" with about another 1/4 qt of oil so I'm probably just less than 1/2qt overfilled. I took it for a 20min drive and I can already tell the difference. The valvetrain-like noise which has been present regardless of the oil/filter brand used is now non-existent.

We'll see how the next 5000mi (or until the OLM light kicks on) go as far as fuel economy. I used 3 1/2qts of 5w30 and 1qt 5w20 since I wanted something at the thinner end of the Xw30 spectrum.

Oil change in total cost me $17 with tax including the MOS2 since I filled the car with Fleet Farm's "Resolute" house brand oil and used a QS filter all of which were on sale.

Wow, nice experience and update so far buickman.

In a car driven regularly, I don't see how MoS2 could be an issue unless you had sludge or an engine that didn't like MoS2 period.

If the chemistry somehow destabilizes, it might. Ive always wondered if high detergent/dispersant add packs would treat it as something that needs to be "protected" by the adds similar to soot particles.

But as far as consumption, Id have to think that if it was due to mechanical issues with seal porosity, the colloidal Mo could possibly agglomerate at these spots and plug the holes if small enough. Dont know how permanent it would be though.

SlimJim, I bought in to the LubroMoly craze... just put 4oz in the crankcase (3.5qt) of my 95 Civic D15B7 w/ 205k miles.

It's like a parallel universe!

? Really? I'm surprised only 4 ounces helped so much. Was it with an oil change? I used about 8 or 9 ounces of the 15 ounce can the last time.

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
but that possibility always exists with mos2 i would never take that chance..countless articles say it falls out and filters out no thanks..
And you engine will blow up? I used it last 4 ocis, was swapping filters every 1-2k miles for other reason, and cut it open. Nothing that would look like Moly or overloaded flter.
Off top:Kids in kindergarten would point fingers and yell "chicken, chicken!"
48.gif

Another thought: I don't think reputable company suach as Lubro/Liqui Moly would but their brand name on some b.s. chemical. If M1 will start to make same additive, there will be less doubts. LM in Germany is like M1 here(or Amsoil,Or RP,RL).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back