Investors....come in please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

http://www.cnbc.com/id/44372618

"Unlike quantitative easing, the move does not expand the Fed’s balance sheet because it uses the proceeds from selling the short-dated securities to buy the long ones. The last QE, which ended in June, was concentrated on the center of the yield curve"

Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
Foreign markets fell today on signs that the German people don't want to bailout most of Europe.

Gold is at $1902.

Originally Posted By: Al
Foreign markets fell today on signs that the German people don't want to bailout most of Europe.

Gold is at $1902.

People will still be saying "gold is a bubble" when it soars past $2,000, as the Fed and the governments tries one last hail marry to keep this ship afloat.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: Al

Gold is at $1902.

People will still be saying "gold is a bubble" when it soars past $2,000, as the Fed and the governments tries one last hail marry to keep this ship afloat.

Yea Drew..I guess its a question of which bubble bursts first..the Fed or Gold

I know that there's repatriation issues on a lot of cash, but if corporations have record amounts of cash and stocks are a bargain, why don't corporations buy back more shares?

Money is worth more than stock when you can't predict the future..IMH uneducated opinion.

... but if corporations have record amounts of cash and stocks are a bargain, why don't corporations buy back more shares?

Cause a 'nother round of recession is coming and their stocks will get cheaper yet...

JMO

Maybe, but it's also funny when panic causes stuff that has some intrinsic value to be so severely discounted, that it doesnt reflect the value.

Take mortgages. Some of this stuff gets discounted to pennies on the dollar, yet the underlying assets which even if foreclosed upon, would yield a lot more than that. Ditto for companies' stock.

I get it with effectively unsecured government debt. Sure, it defaults, it defaults, it is what it is.

But some of this other stuff, recession or not, doesnt get away from the fact that people still need to eat, heat, and be mobile, and to some extent at least, stay healthy.

And like it or not, deserve it or not, but so long as the CEOs can pull many, many millions in salary, there is a LOT of money going around.

And go to any mall in a populated area and show me where the recession is. Its all fabricated as a means of forcing "efficiency" on overleveraged people who made stupid decisions. Sure is a good way to force minimum wage on the wage slave at the local Hollister store at the mall though. Some are still laughing all the way to the bank.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
And go to any mall in a populated area and show me where the recession is. Its all fabricated as a means of forcing "efficiency" on overleveraged people who made stupid decisions. Sure is a good way to force minimum wage on the wage slave at the local Hollister store at the mall though. Some are still laughing all the way to the bank.

This could be some kind of local overbuilding fluke, or the Florida tourism sector getting hit harder, but the Festival Bay Mall in Orlando SCREAMED recession when I was there in 2009. I popped over there to watch a movie and decided to walk around while I was waiting for the show.

The mall had more parking than some small stadiums, but it was just about empty. Inside, stores painted on the walls outnumbered real stores by at least 3 to 1. There were long expanses of empty space between some stores that made me feel like I was in a tunnel. Ghost town was what came to mind. Very depressing.

From various reviews on yelp.com, it doesn't sound like it has changed much since I was there.

Maybe, but it's also funny when panic causes stuff that has some intrinsic value to be so severely discounted, that it doesnt reflect the value.

Take mortgages. Some of this stuff gets discounted to pennies on the dollar, yet the underlying assets which even if foreclosed upon, would yield a lot more than that. Ditto for companies' stock.

Could be the market pricing in the probability of asset recovery and resale. My sister in Tampa has been in foreclosure for almost two years and is still living in the same townhouse. The courts in Florida are clogged.

As for stocks, common shareholders are usually the low men on the totem pole of payout in bankruptcy liquidations. In a lot of cases, there's simply nothing left to distribute after paying other higher classes of creditors. It amazes me that people will even pay pennies for the worthless shares.

Last edited:
OilNerd,

Youre talking about Florida. One of the WORST states when it comes to real estate, etc. The only others that are as bad are AZ, NM, and maybe CA. That has some effect too.

I can't find a spot at the Cherry Hill Mall. The place is packed. Ditto Garden State Plaza, etc.

OilNerd,

Youre talking about Florida. One of the WORST states when it comes to real estate, etc. The only others that are as bad are AZ, NM, and maybe CA. That has some effect too.

I can't find a spot at the Cherry Hill Mall. The place is packed. Ditto Garden State Plaza, etc.

True enough, but you did say "any mall in a populated area". Last time I checked, plenty of people live in Orlando.

While I'm glad the malls in Jersey are packed, some areas are still suffering. I don't believe it's "all fabricated."

Fair enough, but your sample may be as lousy as mine
smile.gif

As I wrote in another thread, my niece and her husband live in a suburb of NYC. She's a NYC school teacher.

They haven't made a mortgage payment in a year and their house isn't in foreclosure. In fact, it's in short sale at 10k more than thay paid for it which is about 100k below market value.

They just got a new car loan and the salesmen told them they had excellent credit.

They just got a new car loan

Scheesh..amazing..that you would even think about getting another loan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back