International Hytran

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 1971 IH Cub Cadet 107 with a hydrostatic transmission. The manual says I should use International Hytran oil. Unfortunately, its a bit hard to get and on the expensive side in my area, and not to mention the thing takes six quarts.

Is there a suitable substitute for Hytran that I can get easily? What exactly is Hytran...more like gear lube, or motor oil?

I also posted this in the small engine/O.P.E. forum, however I'm hoping someone with IH equipment experience can shed some light on the properties of Hytran.

Thanks...

Check at a good farm supply store. Most (if not all) will offer a "private label" fluid that will meet the OEM specs, at a discount.

Here's an example, it states that it is for Case and IH equipment. I've used it for years in 1960's vintage Case equipment for decades without a problem.

However, it is your responsibility to figure out if this will work for your application.

Farm and Fleet HyTran

Some of the private label oil is pretty marginal stuff IMO. I VOA'd HyTran and the Tractor Supply product and found the additive package pretty marginal in the TSC product (search my posts from a couple years back for the data). My tractor takes 22 GALLONS of the stuff and next time, it gets HyTran or a good brand name oil. You might look for some of the other brands, such as Shell, Mystic, Chevron, etc. or any of the oil company brand names for the qualifications versus the "house brands" from places like TSC,Rural King, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back