oil for acura tl type s!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i got a new acura tl type S here and id like to know whats a good oil for it. i think it requires 5w-20. really i want an oil that will last 5000 miles. any sugustions? i was looking into mobil 1 super synthetic, but i am also thinking of amsoils oil. both i do not know the price of.
can you guys help me out please?

First check the owners manual and make sure what oil is recommended for your particular model. My brother had as RSX type S and it called for 5w30 instead of 5w20 like some other models.

Hi,

Use Mobil 1 10W-30. xW-20 oil is recommended
so that Honda can meet CAFE standards.

Mobil 1 is about $4.50 per quart.

cheers.gif

Jae

I have a 2003 TL-S also.

I've been using M1 SS 5W-30 in 7500 mile intervals. M1-105 filter.

No problems.

What about the 0W-30?...any benefits if I switch to that one?

Randy B

Hello fellow TL'er..
I have been using Royal Purple 5W30 in my 2002 TL-P for almost a year.
So far I am pleased with it. I Changed it last week (with K&N filter) and just returned from a 1000Km trip last night. Didnt comsume a drop. Here RP sells for about 8.00 a litre. I change mine a every 5000km or less, depending on the season, as the car becomes a hangar queen for the winter.
Jean

quote:

Originally posted by Ranberndt:
I have a 2003 TL-S also.

No problems.

I honestly don't see any benefits of using 0w30 Mobil 1 over their 5w30, except if it's -30F outside perhaps. The difference in gas mileage benefits is too small.

With other brands of oil though, sometimes their 0w30 is formulated differently than their 5w30 and might be the better choice (such as perhaps with Amsoil, and definitely with Castrol now that their 0w30 is the only real synthetic they sell-the German 0w30 stuff that is)

hey guys thanks for the replies. ranberndt: u use a mobil 1 filter at 7500 mile intervals? isnt that harsh for that oil filter? like wont 7500 miles be too much for it?

well i was wrong, its 5w-30 =).

i wish someone had an oil analysis on the m1 ss and the amsoil.

quote:

I have a 2003 TL-S also.

No problems.

Randy B

Since your car calls for 5w30 and you want to use a synthetic, Mobil1 5w30 would be my first and only choice. It is very easy to find in any Walmart, major discount or parts store and runs just under $5 a quart here (may be higher in Ca.). If you want to run a very good and less costly conventional oil, Chevron Supreme or Castrol GTX would give great protection for less money.

The M1-105 is the oversized filter for our Tl-S. it "normally" calls for a 104. Soooo...i figure the 105 is plenty capable of 7500 mile interval.

Amsoil....hmmm...I used it for my 1st oil change @ 2500 miles. 5W30 XL series. No difference - it just costs twice as much & is a pain in the A$$ to get.

I get M1 in the 5QT jugs @ wally-world for $17.88.

Amsoil wil run you a solid $8 a quart.

quote:

The M1-105 is the oversized filter for our Tl-S. it "normally" calls for a 104. Soooo...i figure the 105 is plenty capable of 7500 mile interval.

Amsoil....hmmm...I used it for my 1st oil change @ 2500 miles. 5W30 XL series. No difference - it just costs twice as much & is a pain in the A$$ to get.

I get M1 in the 5QT jugs @ wally-world for $17.88.

Amsoil wil run you a solid $8 a quart.

You should easily be able to get Amsoil for less than $8 a quart from one of our site sponsors here. Even in Canada it's only about $9 CDN per quart, which is just over $6.

Take it to the Acura dealer every 5000-7500 miles and have them change it with whatever they use. It's a Honda, you will end up selling it way before there are any oil-related engine problems(if there ever will be) My father-in-law has a '99 TL with about 85K miles and he drive to the city every day and sits in traffic the entire time. He has never even had a light bulb burn out yet and he easily drives the "severe" schedule. He takes it in every 7500 miles to Acura for a $25 oil change and the dealer uses 7500 mile intervals when they print out the sticker. Under NO circumstances use any oil viscocity other than what the manual calls for. I think Acura(Honda) engineers know quite a bit more than a bunch of people on some forum when it comes to what is best for their car, it is a Honda and doesn't come any better than that. Take it to the dealer so you have full records of service and enjoy that smoooooth 260hp! You buy a Honda so you do not have to worry about things like what type of oil I should use...it's in the owners manual.

quote:

Originally posted by dagmando:
Take it to the Acura dealer every 5000-7500 miles and have them change it with whatever they use. It's a Honda, you will end up selling it way before there are any oil-related engine problems(if there ever will be) My father-in-law has a '99 TL with about 85K miles and he drive to the city every day and sits in traffic the entire time. He has never even had a light bulb burn out yet and he easily drives the "severe" schedule. He takes it in every 7500 miles to Acura for a $25 oil change and the dealer uses 7500 mile intervals when they print out the sticker. Under NO circumstances use any oil viscocity other than what the manual calls for. I think Acura(Honda) engineers know quite a bit more than a bunch of people on some forum when it comes to what is best for their car, it is a Honda and doesn't come any better than that. Take it to the dealer so you have full records of service and enjoy that smoooooth 260hp! You buy a Honda so you do not have to worry about things like what type of oil I should use...it's in the owners manual.

Do you follow this same practice yourself with the car you drive? Or do you run a different oil and/or viscosity than what your dealers use? I don't think any dealer's bulk oil is going to even come close to comparing to the better oils we discuss on here everyday. Sure the dealer oil and 7.5k intervals will get him past the warranty period, and probably a lot more than that, however if ultimate engine life is desired, that's not the right route to take.

I don't mean to sound rude here, but this forum would be a pretty boring place if the answer to "what oil should I use" was always "go to your dealer" The reason people come here is to find out which oils work better for them, not to find out which oils are just barely "good enough"

For a new car under factory warranty, I do take it to the dealer, so I practice what I preach. As for dealer bulk oil, most use the same dino oil in bulk that you can buy at the store, some even have there own synthetic like BMW. My biggest concern is people recommending all these different viscocity oils for brand new cars/trucks because they think it's ok or theory says it should be better. I agress with learning about oil and the various levels of quality, that is why I read this forum everyday and enjoy it. I am a car collector with several types of cars from 60's - present and all have different needs and I treat them accordingly. I reply to threads that have people telling other to "you can use 10w-30 in your TL-S" even though it is not called for in their car - is this person a Honda expert? I just want to make sure people hear the other side of hte story as to "proper" maintenance for their new car. I was a BMW mechanic/advisor for 10 years and heard every story in the book from the BMW club "experts" on how they should maintain there new BMW including using the wrong oil. They will then say, "the guys at BMW CCA say..." Great, a bunch of guys that surf the net about BMW start mistakening themselves as "expert" because they know a lot about BMW, but not one has done anything more than change their oil, plugs or air filter. While under warranty, you MUST maintain your car according the guidelines listed on your owners manual and MUST provide records if a warrnty claim is submitted. By law, I cannot say you must use BMW-brand oil or filter, but you MUST use the viscocity listed in your owners manual and change at the highest interval listed. As for my older cars, I have changed oil/weight based on information that I have read here and will continues to read this forum with quite a bit of interest. In conclusion, my only concern is being sure that the new car owner is aware of his/her obligation when they purchased that car and it would be sad to see issues later because they were trying to do the right thing, but was misinformed by "experts", I have seen it happen.

[ April 16, 2003, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: dagmando ]

i had too many bad experiances with dealers. my grandpa took his car there for an oil change and they didnt put the oil cap back on. i had many more episodes and just learned to do it myself.

amsoil here is 8 dollars a quart.

Wait...whoa...stop.

Everybody calm down.

I'm using M1 5w30 because it matches Acura's requirments...well exceeds them actually.

..& don't start that 5w20 crap with me.

In short, to each his own.

rb

M1=Convienence, performance, availability
Amsoil=Mail order, performance, extended drains
RedLine=Mail order, expensive, best built, over kill unless racing.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back