Why no manual transmission in full size trucks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad is looking to replace his 4x4 4.0L manual transmission ranger with a truck with seating for 4-5 people.
prefer half ton size f150 etc.

There doesnt seem to be one on the market with a stick shift.
Thats not even with just looking at crew cab models... there doesnt seem to be any stick shifts at all?? or am I missing something.

dodge 2500 with the diesel..... and nothing else.

He wasnt interested in the tacoma double cab.

models with no manual transmission

f150, f250, f350
silverado/gmc 1500 2500 3500
dodge 1500-2500-3500 (except diesel)

Last edited:
Last time I checked, you had to get the bottom feeder W/T model to get a manual in the current Colorado lineup. I might have missed a model though.
21.gif

No one wants them, when they offer it as an option people don't pick it.

I wouldn't buy one, I drive my truck around town and its a PITA, more so since I talk on my phone and take notes a lot. My truck is my office.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
No one wants them, when they offer it as an option people don't pick it.

I wouldn't buy one, I drive my truck around town and its a PITA, more so since I talk on my phone and take notes a lot. My truck is my office.

but what does it cost to offer it.. or make it special order only?

my dad is a standard transmission nut. Its what he wants. Granted he doesnt drive in stop and go hardly ever.

If I lived in CT I'd want an auto box too.

I remember the traffic there driving to maine.. wasnt pretty.

Last edited:
You'd be surprised.

"Special orders" as far as powertrain combos have to be certified separately with the EPA. For example, you certify a 4.0 Ranger with auto trans, then you have to certify a 4.0 Ranger with manual trans. Could cost millions of dollars more.
And only sell a few thousand of them? They won't do it. A $$$$ loser for them all the way.

Don't forget about the biggest buyers, commercial and rental operations. Manual trans is just another thing for dip [censored] to mess with.

We've all seen the U-haul You-tube videos and heard the work truck stories...

I love sticks in vehicles!

We're in the age of most people wanting everything done for them, you know, like they're allergic to personal effort.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
I love sticks in vehicles!

We're in the age of most people wanting everything done for them, you know, like they're allergic to personal effort.

Very true that people want everything done for them

Correct, the Dodge/Cummins diesels are the only fullsize trucks with manual transmissions left. I will be surprised if they don't disappear in the next powertrain redesign.

In the last few years, the take-rate on manual transmissions has been absurdly low. I will not be surprised if the manual transmission is completely absent in North American new vehicles (even sports cars) within 20 years. It's sad.

while I'd love to be able to drive a stick truck, I simply cant due to an ankle injury.

I grew up driving only sticks but I also understand the appeal of an auto in heavy metropolitan traffic.

Originally Posted By: 229
Some durability concerns also on some models with manual transmissions.

The concern is the goober, er, I mean customer, who doesn't know how to take care of a clutch...my Packard has the original (79 year old) clutch...and my 240D went to 228K with the original clutch...but I've seen clowns, er, I mean customers, who toast a clutch in 10,000 miles....

Well car phones are not popular anymore either, oh well.

I love a good manual, in a nice sports car for weekend or track use. Other than that I don't want one.

Although these days the stick cars are slower, a modern Porsche PDK or Ferrari F1 gear box will shift a lot faster and the computer does it perfect every time. Plus on the F car it disrupts the ignition, so you don't have to let off the throttle.

Last edited:
Our last fullsize Dodge/Cummins was a manual. I prefer manual transmissions, but in a fullsize truck an Auto just makes sense - assuming it is bulletproof.

That truck did get good fuel mileage. Much, much better than the powerstroke we replaced it with.

Nice... I had a Cummins with the 5 speed manual for a couple years and it was a sweet gearbox.

The rest of the truck was junk though...

I drove 40 miles from my house to buy one of the last ranger 4cyl with a clutch everto be built. 30 MPG average driving a bit harder than "normal". Thats astounding. And It drives like 1967 all over again but with VERY good 4 wheel disc brakes and decent tires. I actually wish it had recirc ball steering - I absolutely prefer it on a non-sports car application. Oh well, cant get everything.

I've got a '97 Chevy C2500HD Silverado 5.7L with the 5-speed manual. I do the maintenance on it myself, but the couple of times it's been in the body shop, the techs don't want to give it back. I end up having to give them first right of refusal in case I ever sell it or they'd never release it.

It was also the preferred truck when it supplemented my wife's 9-year newer, bigger cab 2500 Chevy truck (with a lot more horsepower) landscaping fleet. It pulled better with more control.

A lot of people would prefer the manual transmission. It's simply easier for the dealers to order only autos for the lot. Since most people don't want to wait for an ordered vehicle to be built, the vast majority walk away with what's available. That skews the numbers towards so many automatics the manufactures gave up on the manuals.

Unless the truck did a lot of off road travel in bad conditions, or a lot of driving in very heavy traffic, I personally see no advantage to an auto tranny. Heck, I'd even buy a Dodge if it was the only truck left with a manual option.

Originally Posted By: Rand

dodge 2500 with the diesel..... and nothing else.

I find it a little ironic.

You check the rest of the Dodge lineup and there are almost no manuals.

Avenger? I don't know what it's "avenging" but it's doing it with a slushbox
All but the most basic of Azteks....errr, ummm I mean Calibers at the dealer are CVT
You want a Challenger V6 with a manual? Not gonna' happen. Nevermind that you can get the Camaro or Mustang with a manual.

Even the Jeeps on the dealer lot were almost exclusively automatics. You had to look for awhile to find a Wrangler with a six speed manual.

You used to be able to get a Caravan, Charger(fwd), Daytona, LeBaron Convertible, Shadow, Spirit, Omni... etc... with a turbocharger and 5-speed manual.
Not so much anymore.

But on the flipside of that, Nearly half of the Cruze eco models sold are manuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back