amplified car stereo antennas, any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I almost always call products like these out as bogus as soon as I see them, but this one seems to at least have all of its bases covered, meaning the literature makes it SEEM legit. However, I've had (back in the day - 90s for me) amplified FM antennas on some older receivers and a poor signal location gave the same terrible results, regardless of whether the amp was on or off.

In other words, that little interior antenna needs to have a signal to amplify, so if placing it inside doesn't allow it an appropriate base signal level, then there won't be much to amplify. Also, head units are, of themselves, amplifiers. So, again, unless this thing turns a weak signal into a less weak signal for the head unit to amplify, there will be no benefit.

IMHO, I wouldn't consider it. For $16 it might be worth a shot if you're willing to take a risk, though. How much a new OEM antenna be? How about a junkyard one?

Woh, woh, woh, did you say 30 day guarantee? Haha. Well, I guess they assume that most people who order stuff like this will most likely leave it on the counter for more than a month before finally getting around to installing it...

It depends.

Some recent radio's decrease the high frequency response when the signal strength is weak. In an effort to reduce hiss.

An antenna amplifier can increase the signal strength to the receiver, and trick it to produce the full bandwidth. However, you must remember, it cannot amplify a signal that's not there.

The result is better high frequencies coupled with plenty of hiss. I prefer this, rather than a dull sound.

I actually like having an amplifier on some cars. As some cars also revert to mono with low signal.

In other words, I prefer to take the good with the bad.

Conclusion, you "might" see some benefit from this, you might not. Objective testing is required to know.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
An antenna amplifier can increase the signal strength to the receiver, and trick it to produce the full bandwidth. However, you must remember, it cannot amplify a signal that's not there.

This is what I've experienced.

I tried an in line antenna amp to try and pull in my fave college FM station, which oddly enough was NOT coming in AT ALL on my 3rd from the top of their line, Alpine HU.
(Ironically, the MUCH lower level/cost Pioneer HU it replaced pulled this same station in almost perfectly, but it's MUCH lousier CD transport/laser section skipped massively over EVERY little pebble in the road, so bye bye it went.
wink.gif
)

Anyway, the amp just made the static where the station should have been louder, with NO perceptable ability to hear any music, or voices.
So, out it came for a full refund (parts and labor), off came my stock, solid mast antenna, and I now just listen to CDs, and Ipod music.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back