Trying an oil pan heater

Status
Not open for further replies.
This winter I'll try an oil pan heater on the Chevy and Honda. I got 2 150 watt Kat's oil pan heaters for $40 shipped from Amazon. Each car holds just over 4 quarts of oil, so that seemed to be a good size. I figure having my timer turn them on 2-3 hours before we leave should make the engines start much better. I also like how the turbo on the Cruze will get warm oil much faster than leaving it to sit.

We'll see how they do!

Sounds like an interesting and useful gadget for winters in Upstate NY. So how does it attach to the pan? And I suppose the plug will go somewhere in the grill area?

Price seems reasonable.

So this will be using $5 of electricity per day, for... what? I lived in Rochester, NY for 37 years and I never had trouble starting my vehicles in the winter.

How do you get the $5 of electricity per day ?

150 watts for 3 hours a day is 450 watts, at the cost of 10-15 cents a kilowatt the cost per day is 5-7 cents.

With the proper viscosity oil, , a heater where you live is an expensive luxury.
Do you rally have cold starting problems from too thick oil?

I also think it's a waste, but on the Cruze I could see it at inexpensive insurance.

The pennies a day for me are nothing. The digging around in a foot of snow for the end of the extension cord is the real cost.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
With the proper viscosity oil, , a heater where you live is an expensive luxury.
Do you rally have cold starting problems from too thick oil?

+1....An 0w oil...will work perfectly in your climate...and save you $$$ on your electric bill.

Less than 10 cents a day, cheap price to pay for quicker oil circulation.

Anyone here ever run a engine preluber.?

I thought about doing the same with mine. I just kinda worried about the turbo in the winter when it's really cold. I mean it idles pretty high for a while after starting, I figure that has something to do with it, but I don't know for sure. I know I'm probably overworrying, but I can't help it.

300 watts run for 2-3 hours a day is a dollar or two a month more on the electricity bill. I had a 400 watt coolant heater on my old LeSabre last winter that ran for far longer, and the additional cost barely showed up on the electricity bill. I'm talking maybe a dollar or two every month. It used little enough juice that I couldn't tell where it kicked in. It sure was nice to have working heat after 2-3 minutes instead of 10. The car also started like it was summertime. For my area, they're more a luxury than a necessity.

It goes on the bottom of the oil pan using adhesive. The directions say to put high-temperature RTV silicone sealant around the outside to keep road debris from dislodging it. For the plug, I'll run it out the top of the hood.

I'm far more concerned about the Cruze than the Fit, although both cars have potential issues. The Fit's battery is tiny, like 340 CCA tiny. It is running 0w-20, so cold flow isn't an issue. The only day it really struggled was the -15*F overnight we had, and even then it still caught. The Cruze has a proper size battery, but I'd love the turbo to get warmed-up oil faster. A full-synthetic 5w-30 should mitigate cold flow issues enough to not be of concern.

Really these are more luxury of having heat faster on a cold morning than needed for our cars to start. There's almost nothing nicer in the morning during the winter than to walk out to a car partway warmed up ready to spit heat. Besides, the wifey said she wanted a remote start, and we compromised on these.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
It goes on the bottom of the oil pan using adhesive. The directions say to put high-temperature RTV silicone sealant around the outside to keep road debris from dislodging it. For the plug, I'll run it out the top of the hood.

I say you made a good choice. I've used them on and off for years. Granted, our winters are much colder than yours, but it's got a few advantages. The Audi likes thicker oil, and it has a factory oil pan heater, though it's mostly in the heated garage. It's nice to be able to get a few more miles and weeks out of the 15w-40 before changing to a lighter grade.

I used to use a magnetic one on a 1999.5 F-150 Lightning when I couldn't find the block heater plug (wrapped up in some God forsaken place; I eventually found it). They're definitely nice.

It does pay once in a while to ensure it's working. If the cord takes a beating from road debris, they can sometimes quit working. For whatever reason, the Audi has a failed stick on pan heater and the working factory-mounted in pan heater.

Why are you worried about the turbo again? Oil will be flowing to it just as quickly as the rest of the engine. It will also be spinning fast enough to easily maintain a hydrodynamic wedge. Besides, you shouldn't be in heavy boost while cold, though I'd be more concerned about the engine than the turbo if so.

Since you already own the heaters, do a nice secure job.
Clean the substrate well, and maybe even put a thin coat of paint on if necessary [let dry really well].

Then enjoy the benefits - there are some. Not really necessary, but in the right direction.

Sure beats the Russians in WWII lighting bonfires under the engines of their airplanes in brutal winters!

An oil pan or block heater is a far better option than a remote car starter in every way. I think you would get atleast a 400% return on just the gas savings alone compared to a bone cold start, and maybe 10 or 20 times the saves of idling a car in -10F weather for 20 minutes to get any sort of heat out of it...

the thing about coolant heaters that i had happened was when the heater element shorts out it electrifies the whole car/truck. i like a magnet oil pan heater, even though you have to get down to take it off before you drive off. its a realy good way to go.

I put 2 Kats 150w on my expedition a few years back, 1 on the oil pan the other on the tranny pan. Great stuff, everything works so much better with a little warmth on single digit days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back