Timing Chain on '06 Avalon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took my '06 Avalon in for tire rotation last week and while waiting, I asked about cost of 90K maintenance. I remembered from the '96 Avalon that 90K was the point at which the timing belt needed replacement. The service rep checked my VIN and said it had a timing chain, not a belt. This sort of took me back since I had no idea.

Should I just not worry and drive on, or is some sort of maintenance required?
John

Check with the dealership to ensure that if it's belt, 90k service; if it's definitely chain, you are set for pretty much the servicible life of the engine.

Q.

What is the engine code? 3MZFE, v6? I have that in my 07 sienna I believe (Toyota gods pls chime in)
I am pretty sure it has a belt as I just bought one :)

All 2005+ Avalons have the 3.5L GR-series engines, which use timing chains. No belts to worry about on a 2005+ Avalon.

The Sienna didn't get the 3.5L GR engine across the board until 2008 as I recall.

An 07 Sienna should have a 3.5 with a chain. An 06 Sienna would have a 3.3 with a belt. The 08 was the mid model refresh, and one would assume the new engine came that year, but oddly the year before. Not that I'm shopping minivans or anything.

For the Avalon it would be the same engine, I would assume it had a 3.5 with a chain good for the life of the engine.

3.3 = belt
3.5 = chain.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back