Valvoline Maxlife

Status
Not open for further replies.
I switched over from Z-1 in My Accord and CRV and I am convinced it's a gret product. Some have commented it's "just Maxlife" but it looks like it can go toe to toe with other synthetics like Redline's and Amsoil's products as well based on it's properties. Am I wrong? (Oh, and it's $16 and change at WalMart.)

In looking at Valvoline's Material PDF I find the following:

Valvoline MaxLife ATF is the first automatic transmission fluid specifically formulated for
new and higher mileage automatic transmissions. It is formulated with synthetic base
stocks, unique seal conditioners, long-life friction modifiers, special anti-wear additives
and shear stable viscosity modifiers. Valvoline MaxLife ATF is recommended for use in,
new and rebuilt automatic transmissions as mentioned in this sheet, and will not void
new car warranties.
The Valvoline MaxLife ATF advantages
· Conditions transmission seals to prevent leaks
· Reduce varnish formation and wear
· Improve and maintain smooth shifting longer than conventional ATF’s
· Provide excellent flow at low temperatures and greater film protection at high
temperatures
· Maximize the life of higher mileage transmissions

Viscosity, mm2/s @ 100 ºC 7.3
Viscosity, mm2/s @ 40 ºC 36.7
Viscosity Index 169
Viscosity, mPa.s -40 ºC 16563
Pour Point, ºC -51
Specific Gravity @ 15/15ºC 0.851
Flash Point, COC, ºC 202
Colour red

Last edited:
I am sure it is great. I would hold back my comments that it is toe to toe with Amsoil or RL or even DW-1 but I would use it especially considering cost and regular changes at around 30k.

I think it is an excellent product. My Ford dealer went to Valvoline products and used Maxlife when the auto trans in my 06 Mustang GT was serviced at 30k and 60k. It was also used in my 01 Escape. The trans in it is still going strong at 170k.

Hello, This thread prompted me to visit Valvoline's website. I learned that their Maxlife is 3309 recommended. This is the requirement for the AW55-50S transmissions in the family. GREAT! Now all I need is a commonly available fluid for the 2002 Volkswagon Jetta. Also, regarding the VW. It's troubling that VW jumped on the "life long transmission fill" bandwagon. They say you have to break some plastic something to get to a fill hole and replace said plastic "cap" when you're done. OKAY Where do I get this replacement cap? It should be an easily obtainable item. Thanks Kira "Waiting for Hurricane Irene to come"

Honda DW-1:

Appearance Red
Flash Point 170°C / 338°F
1664-L42 - Honda Genuine ATF DW-1, 12 x 1 Liter Case
Method COC ASTM D92
Odor: Mild
Revision Date: 12-Jul-2010
Density 0.85 g/cm3@15°C
Physical State: Liquid
Viscosity @40C= 25.09 cSt; @100C = 6.835 cSt

FP: Honda DW-1 170* C (vs. Maxlife FP: 202*C a 32 degree difference which is 16% I think. So the Maxlife handles heat better. I do see that Amsoil is 234*C in terms of FP so it's better still.)

I am using Maxlife every 30,000 so I am fine. If I extended I would go with Amsoil or Redline.

Maxlife I think has better base-stocks than Honda's DW-1 based on FP alone. The Honda product is probably a "blend" and not fully synthetic.

Last edited:
I used it in my old Buick and right now in our Honda, and have nothing except good things to say about it. It's smoothed out our Honda's transmission, and helps to reduce the slow 1-2 shift. It's been in the Honda for about 20k miles now, and neither I nor the driver have had any complaints.

I use the "old" Maxlife and are happy with it. it has been "reforumlated" and I look forward to try them someday!
this is updated on Valvoline site.
Effective Date: 07/6/2010
Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt 6.11
Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt 28.18
Viscosity Index 173
Specific Gravity @ 60°F 0.843
Pour Point, °C, -51
Brookfield Viscosity @ -40°C, cP 8400
Flash Point, COC, °C 202
ASTM Color 7
Appearance Red

Maxlife ATF is the real deal. I used it in my truck and posted the results here awhile back. My truck started shifting so smooth that it made me nervous for the first two weeks. That's how good it was in my case.

I did not expect to really see any difference in my 2010 Accord V-6 and 2008 CRV Honda's. BUt after switching out to Maxlife the difference is significant.

Originally Posted By: Pete591
Honda DW-1:

Appearance Red
Flash Point 170°C / 338°F
1664-L42 - Honda Genuine ATF DW-1, 12 x 1 Liter Case
Method COC ASTM D92
Odor: Mild
Revision Date: 12-Jul-2010
Density 0.85 g/cm3@15°C
Physical State: Liquid
Viscosity @40C= 25.09 cSt; @100C = 6.835 cSt

FP: Honda DW-1 170* C (vs. Maxlife FP: 202*C a 32 degree difference which is 16% I think. So the Maxlife handles heat better. I do see that Amsoil is 234*C in terms of FP so it's better still.)

I am using Maxlife every 30,000 so I am fine. If I extended I would go with Amsoil or Redline.

Maxlife I think has better base-stocks than Honda's DW-1 based on FP alone. The Honda product is probably a "blend" and not fully synthetic.

And Mobil 1 transmission fluid is 220 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back