2005 Duramax, 7120 on Oil, 58120 on Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just took over maintenance on this for my aunt, not sure what oil was being used. Switched over to Amsoil 15W-40 Heavy Duty Diesel and Marine when this UOA was taken.

Make/Model 2005 Silverado 2500HD
Equipment Isuzu 6.6L Duramax
Mi/HR on Oil 7120
MI/HR on Unit 58120
Sample Date 06/18/11
Make up Oil Added 0

Aluminum 4
Chromium 0
Iron 15
Copper 3
Lead 3
Tin 2
Molybdenum 93
Nickel 0
Manganese 0
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 2
Boron 382
Silicon 8
Sodium 19
Calcium 1538
Magnesium 379
Phosphorus 1072
Zinc 1350
Barium 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210F 70.3
cST Viscosity @ 100C 13.03
Flashpoint in F 385
Fuel % 2
Antifreeze % ?
Water % 0
Insolubles 0.3

I would find out what oil she was using, it is STOUT. Got some of everything in it and it did a great job. May save you some money too. Where was she getting it serviced?

I've asked for where the equipment was serviced and when, but wasn't able to get back much information. They either had a guy in town do it, or a ranch hand, etc, so really it was that person's preference at the time. Part of the reason I'm switching their equipment to Amsoil is that maintenance isn't always at the top of their 'to-do' list. This will buy me some time to get down there and do it myself, and if they go a little over hopefully spending the extra $$$ on a good product be added insurance.

Yet another great UOA in a Dmax; even if it is a mystery oil ... Overall, that engine generally does not care what brand/grade is in it as long as it's a properly spec'd fluid.

You might keep an eye on the injectors of that LB7; fuel is 2% and FP is lower than I'd expect (although we don't know what oil was used).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3

You might keep an eye on the injectors of that LB7; fuel is 2% and FP is lower than I'd expect (although we don't know what oil was used).

In the title of the thread it is an 2005, should that be either an LLY or LBZ?

Regardless that fuel is a bit high...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rufushusky

In the title of the thread it is an 2005, should that be either an LLY or LBZ?

Regardless that fuel is a bit high...

You are correct. He posted two UOAs (the other being a 2004 LB7) and I got them confused. Truck is likley an LLY; too early for an LBZ (2006 - 2007.5).

Still - fuel is an issue here, but nothing to panic about. Just to keep an eye on.

Last edited:

You are correct. He posted two UOAs (the other being a 2004 LB7) and I got them confused. Truck is likley an LLY; too early for an LBZ (2006 - 2007.5).

Ok, I couldn't remember when the LBZ showed up. I just wanted to make sure I had my Dmaxes right. Sorry about the hijack.

Both of my posts (2004 and 2005) are LLY Duramax engines. 2004.5 is when GM switched to the LLY.

That could be just from taking a short trip before sampling. Make sure you run it down the freeway for 30 minutes or so to evaporate all the fuel/moisture.

Too bad the cummins doesn't wear as good as the dmax. Yes that's delo400LE

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back