Which shocks have the smoothest ride?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to Auto Zone today to get a 6" 1/2 drive extension. I started talking about the Fram filters and somehow ended up talking about shocks. He said that the more stiffer the shock is, the more control it has. I already knew that.

He agreed with me that economy shocks MIGHT have a smoother ride because they wouldn't have as much control as an OEM shock (like the Sensa-Trac for example).

So which shocks have the smoothest ride? I don't care about handling. My car is a 1999 Buick Century if that makes a difference.

The one you mentioned gives a jiggly ride. On my '99 LeSabre I put KYB's and coilsprings and it rides like a dream. The factory ride had more float to it but I found that annoying.

Actually IIRC its the valving and gas/hydraulic fluid properties not the actual stiffness that give you more control IE mercedes electrohydraulic systems or even a corvettes magnetorheological systems that adapt the valving or fluid properties in response to the conditions and the driving style.. and also the shocks only play a part in handling... Ever ridden in a live axle car with really stiff shocks in the back? They handle quite poorly on anything but a smooth surface. Not a high enough rebound rate due to the valving so they tend to skitter around corners so stiffer valving isnt always good for handling if it isnt a well engineered shock and conversely a too soft /poorly valved shock would cause you to bounce around alot - small bumps would make you seasick with how much it would wallow.. AKA dont go cheap on the shocks. I would think for the stereotypical "smooth" aka bouncy floaty old school caddy ride- get shocks with a high rebound rate/looser valving?, decrease your roll bar stiffness for better individual wheel articulation and and get softer springs but then your bump stops will suffer.. unless you can get progressive rate springs? Or just a full air ride setup.. then again I'm probably completely wrong.. suspension isnt really my deal.
Just my 2 cents.

i have 4 monroe sensa-trac quick struts on my grand prix. compared to before i changed them, the ride is amazing. i have read however in the grand prix forums that by not going with ac delco struts, i have completely ruined the way grand prixs are "supposed" to ride.

So was it smoother?
Originally Posted By: Jakegday
i have 4 monroe sensa-trac quick struts on my grand prix. compared to before i changed them, the ride is amazing. i have read however in the grand prix forums that by not going with ac delco struts, i have completely ruined the way grand prixs are "supposed" to ride.

The shocks I'm looking at are:

Monro-Matic Plus

Sensa-Trac

GR-2 / Excel-G

AC DELCO

I don't need shocks at the moment, but I want to know which ones to get when I do.

If you haven't checked out Gabriel Ultra then you're missing out on an inexpensive fantastic shock.

Go to Amazon and they are really cheap.

back in the day when I was up on what shocks were out there.
the monroe sensa-traks were great for small cars, For full size cars and small trucks they were abit weak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back